2359glenn | studio
Dec 13, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #17,146 of 39,986
I broke one of my c3g because the adapter was too tight
I make the adapter loose by opening up the adapter using small screw driver
About the fragility of the C3g tubes:
It is my belief that the tempered glass envelope is more fragile than other tubes (perhaps because these tubes were used for under water transatlantic cables and they required a different kind of glass envelope to withstand high pressures).
Most tubes are removed by a rocking action ("rolling tubes"). This could result in glass breakage with C3g tubes. The best way is to push them straight in, and use a small thin flat screwdriver to gradually pry around the bottom of the tube and slowly lift it up little by little.
Enlarging and loosening up the pin holes, especially the center pin, also helps.
BTW, this learning experience cost me two C3gS tubes.....

Dec 14, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #17,149 of 39,986
Matt - what is your most favourite combo so far? HD800/6BX7, Atticus/GEC6AS7, etc?

Arnold it's too early to tell. I'm rolling most tubes / headphones to get an initial impression.

I will burn in the new tubes and amp whilst enjoying myself along the way.

I will summarise when the amp has gotten some 200 hours.

Dec 14, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #17,150 of 39,986
Arnold it's too early to tell. I'm rolling most tubes / headphones to get an initial impression.

I will burn in the new tubes and amp whilst enjoying myself along the way.

I will summarise when the amp has gotten some 200 hours.

Yes it is early but you could always change your mind later... :ksc75smile:

Dec 14, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #17,151 of 39,986

It's going to be a tight race between the headphones and various tube combinations. Some early impressive combinations are:-

C3Gs with 6 x 6BX7gt and HD800, Eikon, Atticus, LCD-2f
C3Gs with quad 5998 and HD800, Eikon, Atticus, LCD-2f
Gec B36 with Gec 6080 and Gec 6as7g and HD800, Eikon, Atticus, LCD-2f

You can tell I'm very impressed with how all 4 of my fav headphones are performing with GOTL and these tubes.

There are a lot more power and especially driver tubes that I've yet to try. Namely, Sylvania 6sn7w metal base, FDD20, ECC31, Tung Sol 6F8G, Mazda 6N7G, Fivre 6N7G brown base. Initial impressions of B36, 1633 and 13D1 are good. I also think that 6336 has a lot of promise but I need more time with it, especially burning in that new monster tube.

Towards the end, I'll invite my friend Jimmy over with his WA5 and Utopia headphone. I want to road test GOTL side by side with WA5 and get some time on Utopia with GOTL. I'll see if I can get the other guy with Abyss over as well. In the interim, when GOTL has burn in, I'll run it side by side with La Figaro 339 for a direct comparison.

Initial impressions are a good indications though of things to come. I'm going to leave the GEC tubes in GOTL for a longer time because it's sounding so good. I find it hard to switch the tubes for the time being. Lastly you're only going to get as good as what you feed it. To this end, I'm really fond of Yggdrasil and what it can do.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #17,152 of 39,986
Thanks Matt. The C3g-6BX7 combo is really great. Then the GEC 6AS7G brings something different but also excellent in the table.

I would be very interested with your comparisons with the WA5, etc.

In the past, my friend who is not a HD800 fan (he has an LCD-3 amongst others) auditioned my HD800 and Darna and came away really, really impressed. That's how good Glenn OTL is.

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #17,153 of 39,986
I haven’t forgotten. It’s still sitting in my eBay cart as I obsessively stalk the web for the right EL3Ns. :wink:

Without asking too much of your time, can you provide any insight as to how the two tube types (C3G and EL3N) compare sonically? Basically, I’m wondering 3 things:

1. Which one tends to be more impactful?
2. Which one has better dynamic texture on a micro level?
3. Which one is warmer?

That will at least help me figure out which one to chase first!

Chase the C3g first !!!! The C3g might be the best tube ever made. It has the most clarity and is the most transparent
with the most micro details.

The EL3N is warmer though.

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #17,154 of 39,986
In the past, my friend who is not a HD800 fan (he has an LCD-3 amongst others) auditioned my HD800 and Darna and came away really, really impressed. That's how good Glenn OTL is.

I can relate to that. That very first session with GOTL and Eikon with C3G-6BX7 is an epiphany moment. :beyersmile: I was listening to a very special tone.

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #17,156 of 39,986

Good point Arnold...when it comes to tube rolling and a favorite sound, I find that it varies with what mood and what album I am playing at the time.

Sometimes you like dynamics and impact...sometimes you like warm and romantic...I have certain albums and artist that I prefer with a certain combo.

For instance when I listen to Gary Moore, I prefer a warm driver tube, as Gary's guitar already has a lot of detail and a some what bright sound.

Glenns amp is very transparent to tube rolling, so sometimes nothing more than a driver change does the trick

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #17,157 of 39,986
Good point Arnold...when it comes to tube rolling and a favorite sound, I find that it varies with what mood and what album I am playing at the time.

Sometimes you like dynamics and impact...sometimes you like warm and romantic...I have certain albums and artist that I prefer with a certain combo.

For instance when I listen to Gary Moore, I prefer a warm driver tube, as Gary's guitar already has a lot of detail and a someone bright sound

Glenns amp is very transparent to tube rolling, so sometimes nothing more than a driver change does the trick

You hit the nail on its head Joe. I prefer the 6AS7's with Cat Steven's Tea for the Tillerman and 6BX7's for Dire Straits' Sultans... It is so nice to have this option in one amp! So much value for money IMHO.

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #17,158 of 39,986
I thought the GEC tubes were very good but I needed to hear C3G - 6BX7 again. So in they go again. While I agree with you Joe and Arnold that the beauty of this amp is the many tones we can custom it with but this C3G - 6BX7 is it. Wow just wow. With HD800, this is high fidelity. This has shot to top of the class. You need to listen to C3Gs with 6 x 6BX7. This is where the magic is.

A caution though. When I had seated all the tubes, I detected a constant hum on the right channel that wasn't there the first time I heard this combination. I could tell it's from the right C3G. I tap it lightly with my finger and hey presto, the hum disappeared. So make sure you seat it correctly and leave it alone.

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #17,159 of 39,986
I thought the GEC tubes were very good but I needed to hear C3G - 6BX7 again. So in they go again. While I agree with you Joe and Arnold that the beauty of this amp is the many tones we can custom it with but this C3G - 6BX7 is it. Wow just wow. With HD800, this is high fidelity. This has shot to top of the class. You need to listen to C3Gs with 6 x 6BX7. This is where the magic is.

A caution though. When I had seated all the tubes, I detected a constant hum on the right channel that wasn't there the first time I heard this combination. I could tell it's from the right C3G. I tap it lightly with my finger and hey presto, the hum disappeared. So make sure you seat it correctly and leave it alone.

C3g-6BX7 has been the long running combo in my Darna amp since I can only use C3g as drivers and it took me a while to hunt GEC 6AS7's (these tubes are ridiculously expensive!) The C3g-6BX7 is my favourite combo for my HD800 SD. Hands down. However, there is something lacking in midrange and in the highs when using HD650 compared to the GEC 6AS7. If I did not hear the GEC 6AS7 with my HD650. I wouldn't even remove the 6BX7 from my Darna.

:deadhorse:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back