2359glenn | studio
Dec 14, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #17,161 of 39,986
Chase the C3g first !!!! The C3g might be the best tube ever made. It has the most clarity and is the most transparent
with the most micro details.

The EL3N is warmer though.

Thanks! I’ll have both before long anyway, but it helps to know what to expect. C3g is at the front of the line!

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #17,162 of 39,986
C3g-6BX7 has been the long running combo in my Darna amp since I can only use C3g as drivers and it took me a while to hunt GEC 6AS7's (these tubes are ridiculously expensive!) The C3g-6BX7 is my favourite combo for my HD800 SD. Hands down. However, there is something lacking in midrange and in the highs when using HD650 compared to the GEC 6AS7. If I did not hear the GEC 6AS7 with my HD650. I wouldn't even remove the 6BX7 from my Darna.

:deadhorse:

While many here seem to think that all makes and brands of 6BX7 sound the same, in my experience, 6 Sylvania sound quite different than 6 GE or 6 RCA or what have you. For example, compared to other makes, I find Sylvanias to be very lively with sparkly highs. So when you say "there is something lacking in midrange and in the highs", it would be useful to know precisely which 6BX7 you have installed.

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #17,163 of 39,986
While many here seem to think that all makes and brands of 6BX7 sound the same, in my experience, 6 Sylvania sound quite different than 6 GE or 6 RCA or what have you. For example, compared to other makes, I find Sylvanias to be very lively with sparkly highs. So when you say "there is something lacking in midrange and in the highs", it would be useful to know precisely which 6BX7 you have installed.
Do you prefer sylvania ? Or other brand?

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #17,164 of 39,986
Ross do it and no scaling back. Your only choice would be whether it's tube or hexfred rectifier. Frankly I am very happy with hexfred even though I haven't heard tube rectifiers. I have just started tube rolling so I cannot give you a firm answer on my fav tube combo but for a muscular, dynamic, hard hitting sound, it's hard to go past C3Gs with 6 x 6BX7 or C3Gs with quad 5998. :)

I don't know what it's like not having Gold Point attenuator but that will save you $300. The boost switch has a marginal gain increase but in this amp a marginal increase is significant.

There's really nothing to scale back. I would still go with the same configuration if I have to do it again. I'm now running Brimar 13D1 (25 volt) with 2 x Mullard 6080 and 2 x Bendix 6080wb. I'm liking these quad power tubes. It has that extra ooomph. :)

Ross, I prefer this setup of Yggdrasil > GOTL > HD800 over Yggdrasil > Blue Hawaii > Stax SR-009. It's as resolving from recollection and more dynamic and impactful certainly. Much cheaper definitely. Glenn's amps are incredible value.

Hahahahaha...with the sheer amount of tube combinations to be had, it kinda freaks me out..i shall continue lurking first and reading more impressions of yours once you've had more time acclimatising to the amp before deciding my next move :wink:

Dec 14, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #17,165 of 39,986
Do you prefer sylvania ? Or other brand?

It depends on the driver and rectifier. Since the Sylvanias are pretty lively and sparkly, rolling in a darker rectifier and driver, such as the Cossor 53KU and a pair of RCA 76 triodes sounds great to my ears. And since the GE are a bit more neutral, rolling in a GEC U18/20 with a Sylvania 6SN7W sounds great. Again, it is all about synergy and matching. :)

Dec 14, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #17,166 of 39,986
I have rolled RCA, IEC and Sylvanias. The Sylvanias are my least favourite due to sparkly or what I called uncontrolled high. They are my least used 6BX7.

Dec 14, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #17,167 of 39,986
IEC did not manufacture 6BX7 or any other tube. They were a marketing company only. Do you know which company manufactured them?

But yes, I also think the Sylvania 6BX7 are not a good combination with Siemens 3Cg. The highs are a bit much. A darker rectifier helps, but still, prefer GE to Sylvania with the 3Cg.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #17,168 of 39,986
Dec 14, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #17,170 of 39,986
Dec 14, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #17,172 of 39,986
Also be aware that some of the C3g adapters being sold are too tight for the C3g. Purchased one of these and was not able to insert the C3g without exerting excessive force.
There was some discussion on another thread about this with the result being that some C3gs were damaged. Might be a good idea to confirm with the seller that the C3g sockets used are OK.
I guess it was in the Littledot thread because i and a few other guys had cracked a tube. you just cant wiggle that tube when removing it you just pull straight out. I just left them in the adapters .Eventually i found these loctal sockets way better . 20130109-183718.jpg

Dec 14, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #17,174 of 39,986
So it appears that you have Toshiba, RCA and Sylvania 6BX7. That leaves Fivre, Tung-Sol and GE to try. :)
Don't tempt me. I will leave the rest of the 6BX7 brands for @UntilThen to test. :ksc75smile:

Dec 14, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #17,175 of 39,986
I guess it was in the Littledot thread because i and a few other guys had cracked a tube. you just cant wiggle that tube when removing it you just pull straight out. I just left them in the adapters .Eventually i found these loctal sockets way better .

I think it was that thread. Anyway, after I saw how easily the C3g slips in and out of the sockets on the GOTL, I was very happy that I didn't try to force the tube into that adapter. Especially after I heard them and realized how good they were. : ) Would have been very upset to have damaged one of these from my matched pair. Worth far more than the adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back