2359glenn | studio
Nov 15, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #16,624 of 39,986
$9950 will get you to Sydney on a nice holiday and I will throw in a free koala.
U.S. Customs might have a problem with importing a koala, but if you promised to go 3 rounds in the ring with a boxing kangaroo; I think I would have to give it some serious thought! :)

And we could split the pay-per-view rights/ profits (It would be better than MayWeather- McGregor!) :beerchug:

8ddf3f2c823fd23ea277979a05b2cf09--the-circus-night-circus.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #16,625 of 39,986
The GM70 amp seems very interesting for speakers.

For headphones, I'm more interested in a 45 or 2A3 amp or one that is switchable between the 2 tubes. Maybe someday Glenn.... :)

For now, I'll just patiently await my OTL amp. which I think will really pleased me with my headphones. Maybe it will curb my desires to have anymore amps. :)

Now that one's right up there with "I once saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets", and "I once played a phono album so many times I could hear the other side!"

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #16,626 of 39,986
Now that sounds like a great setup for a speaker amp / power amp. Overkill for headphones (even I'm not that crazy to throw 40W at headphones), but for a SET amp to drive sensitive floor standers it makes a lot of sense.

Did a little reading on the GM70 tube and it sounds like a better tube for for audio than the 845. The 845 design was optimized for use as a radio transmitter tube, but not so efficient as an audio amplification tube. The GM70 does a better job as an amplification device.

LINK

I have no clue how the GM70 sounds - Glenn, any comments?

Tony you don't have to turn the volume up to 40 watts output.

I would like to make one of these amps over Christmas week. But the output transformers might be a problem.
I have two 7K ohm primary transformers coming next week but they are core air gaped at 50 ma for EL3Ns
The problem is Lundahl is closing again for Christmas and if I order them now I probably won't get them until
after the 1st of the year. Company's in Europe are closed as much as they are open.
The GM70 uses the same 7K transformer but has to be air gaped at 85ma. This is really the same transformer
as the 300B but with a different primary impedance.

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #16,627 of 39,986

I would like to make one of these amps over Christmas week. But the output transformers might be a problem.
I have two 7K ohm primary transformers coming next week but they are core air gaped at 50 ma for EL3Ns
The problem is Lundahl is closing again for Christmas and if I order them now I probably won't get them until
after the 1st of the year. Company's in Europe are closed as much as they are open.
The GM70 uses the same 7K transformer but has to be air gaped at 85ma. This is really the same transformer

Which tube are you considering for a driver? I would imagine that tube takes a large voltage swing even @ 15-20 watts of pure class A.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #16,632 of 39,986

If I was in the market for a SET speaker amp I would be all over this like a rash, but I'm not.
Quite happy with the 300B amp doing its thing. 8W is enough, even for the HE6.

I like the look of the GM70 - does anyone still make them, or are they NOS only?

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #16,633 of 39,986
Hi ru4music,
I think that I have 10 EL3N NOS in original brand new looking boxes that were bought from a Dutch vendor for around $25 shipped - I think that they still have them for that price or less, since the Euro is lower now.
ATM I am not using them. As the saying goes: I can't afford to save so much!

Two years ago a new pair of WE 300B went for $13,000 +(!) shipping.......

The EL3N tubes I have are made by Philips in Vienna - see my Avatar or this picture of the Vienna Guard:

queensguard3103.jpg

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #16,634 of 39,986
I was hoping to use the C3g but it might not be strong enough. Might have to use a video output tube like a 12HG7 or 12GN7 capable of 10 watts output.

Likely not for max. power output, but it sure would be very interesting to hear a quality C3g => GM70 @ 8-10 watts (Class A) amp.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #16,635 of 39,986
Hi ru4music,
I think that I have 10 EL3N NOS in original brand new looking boxes that were bought from a Dutch vendor for around $25 shipped - I think that they still have them for that price or less, since the Euro is lower now.
ATM I am not using them. As the saying goes: I can't afford to save so much!

Two years ago a new pair of WE 300B went for $13,000 +(!) shipping.......

The EL3N tubes I have are made by Philips in Vienna - see my Avatar or this picture of the Vienna Guard:

queensguard3103.jpg

I actually purchased 8 (low hour) Philips red label EL3Ns through ebay a couple months back ($20 ea.) They test well on my tube tester, however the ultimate test will be to plug them into the amp for a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back