2359glenn | studio
Nov 16, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #16,637 of 39,986
I was thinking of a new car, but then I saw this - only $446 for 24 months or 10,000 buy it now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-el...229966?hash=item1c966425ce:g:NyIAAOSw5cNYG4xU

But it is for only one tube so I have to pass.....And it is used.....

haha I didn't spend any where near that.. got mine on ebay for $2k for the pair... it's a big faded and dirty.. but seems to be working just fine... I haven't give it seriously listen to compare to the reissue 1990's WE300B.

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #16,638 of 39,986
Not sure I understand the mega-bucks for the vintage WE300Bs when the Takatsukis are available now - new production with 12 month warranty. Fantastic build quality, robust and likely to outlive many owners.

I have not heard the vintage or re-issue WE300Bs, but an audio friend of mine has compared both against the TA300B and puts the TA300B ahead - better extension top and bottom while the WE300Bs tend to be very mid-range centric. A one trick pony, albeit a very, very well executed trick.

Mids perhaps a touch better on the vintage WE300Bs, but not much in it. Certainly not enough to justify the price, or the risk, with NOS (or used) tubes when new production Takatsukis are available with a warranty?

YMMV, but 10K for a pair of used WE300Bs seems mildly insane to me. That amount would purchase several pairs of TA300Bs - a lifetime supply.

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #16,640 of 39,986
I'm using my WE300B every day.. :) collect was never part of the plan, curiosity is the main driver here.

Nov 16, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #16,643 of 39,986
Not sure I understand the mega-bucks for the vintage WE300Bs when the Takatsukis are available now - new production with 12 month warranty. Fantastic build quality, robust and likely to outlive many owners.

I have not heard the vintage or re-issue WE300Bs, but an audio friend of mine has compared both against the TA300B and puts the TA300B ahead - better extension top and bottom while the WE300Bs tend to be very mid-range centric. A one trick pony, albeit a very, very well executed trick.

Mids perhaps a touch better on the vintage WE300Bs, but not much in it. Certainly not enough to justify the price, or the risk, with NOS (or used) tubes when new production Takatsukis are available with a warranty?

YMMV, but 10K for a pair of used WE300Bs seems mildly insane to me. That amount would purchase several pairs of TA300Bs - a lifetime supply.
HI TN,

The price is for one tube - doubly insane......

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #16,645 of 39,986
I would have been happy with Psvane (WE300b) replica. :ksc75smile:

I really, really wouldn't go there if I were you. I had a Psvane WE300B replica go feral and take out a choke + an output transformer on my Glenn 300B - cooked em both when the tube went.

If you want a 300B with the rich mid range of the WE300B (and a lot more besides) I would go for the Taks - if your budget won't stretch that far I would look hard at the EML mesh. Lovely sounding tube - doesn't have the same magic or extension as the Taks, but still a very nice sounding tube, just be gentle with it.

I have also been quite happy with the plate EML 300B and the EAT 300B. The Elrogs have been technically impressive, but a little bright for my tastes. If I was into classical / instrumental the Elrogs would be right up there. Otherwise not worth the price - I would go plate EML or mesh EML instead. YMMV (as always).

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #16,646 of 39,986
I really, really wouldn't go there if I were you. I had a Psvane WE300B replica go feral and take out a choke + an output transformer on my Glenn 300B - cooked em both when the tube went.

If you want a 300B with the rich mid range of the WE300B (and a lot more besides) I would go for the Taks - if your budget won't stretch that far I would look hard at the EML mesh. Lovely sounding tube - doesn't have the same magic or extension as the Taks, but still a very nice sounding tube, just be gentle with it.

I have also been quite happy with the plate EML 300B and the EAT 300B. The Elrogs have been technically impressive, but a little bright for my tastes. If I was into classical / instrumental the Elrogs would be right up there. Otherwise not worth the price - I would go plate EML or mesh EML instead. YMMV (as always).
Hi TN,

Is it possible to get a Glenn amp with protective circuitry to avoid what you are describing?

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #16,647 of 39,986
Hi TN,

Is it possible to get a Glenn amp with protective circuitry to avoid what you are describing?

That's a great question - and way outside my area of expertise. Glenn might be able to weigh in on that with an expert opinion.

Just some wild speculation - it might be hard to add all the necessary protective circuitry without impacting the sound? I really don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back