[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
May 15, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #3,856 of 7,442
It's posts like that that make me so grateful for the 'Block Member' facility on Head-Fi  :rolleyes:  

+1, my thought exactly....

May 15, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #3,857 of 7,442
That review had too much text and too little insight.
I think text on Monk black plastic bag had more insight on what Monk sounds like than that review ...
at least Paul did a review and contributed to the community. Look at yourself. Get out of this thread mate.

May 15, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #3,858 of 7,442
at least Paul did a review and contributed to the community. Look at yourself. Get out of this thread mate.

Thanks  - but he's entitled to his opinion.

May 15, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #3,859 of 7,442
I'm surprised at your comments - especially about the "insight".  If you'd like to know more about my methodology - it's included in some blog posts (http://www.head-fi.org/f/7898/brooko)

I won't please everyone - but there have been enough positive comments about my mix of objectivity and subjectivity for me to be satisfied with what I'm writing and how I'm approaching things.

I'll look forward to critiquing your own reviews - if you ever eventually write one.

Quote:
I think text on Monk black plastic bag had more insight on what Monk sounds like than that review ...

Im serious...

Lets take a book as an example?

Many writers, when write a book , have a good story , and a slow-burn characters, in order to build up a relationship between characters and a reader. Only after relationship between reader and books characters is established, thats when stuff that happen in a book start to mean something.  If you don't care for main character , it doesn't matter how exciting story is and how colorful its written...

So writer has to "paint" a psychological profile of a main character so you as a reader could feel like you actually met that person , thats where most writers fail ..

Same with review of audio gear , whats the point of going thru all the data , FR and such stuff if you haven't "painted" a Sonic Character of audio gear you reviewing  by using some analogies , gotta be creative about it.

Long time ago i read a post by some asian girl who described sonic character of beyerdynamic t5p in few words but it was so insightful i could get a clear picture of what it sounds like , she managed to use very colorful analogies and she was very creative with it , without using many words ...  the only thing that gave me a better perception of what t5p sounds like was actually listening to t5p.

most of reviews are dry and boring because they lack insight , and they lack insight because the person who wrote a review either didn't experienced anything special during listening , or couldn't express it with words.

Either way , not worth reading , in my opinon ...

May 15, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #3,860 of 7,442
Forgive Artt... he is brutal...honest to his own views...
Whichever end of the stick i received from him,
I know it's tinged with whisky...n passion.
:D

May 15, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #3,862 of 7,442
Forgive Artt... he is brutal...honest to his own views...
Whichever end of the stick i received from him,
I know it's tinged with whisky...n passion.
biggrin.gif

Oh I don't mind alternate views, or honesty.  If he doesn't like my reviews he can avoid reading them.  I suspect (from his comments) that he likes the short reviews with pretty pictures and audiophile terms which actually inform very little about the product. I'm fine with that - although personally I find those type of reviews a complete waste of my time (too subjective and often highly inaccurate).  We just have different tastes - no foul. I'll simply choose to ignore him - as he can do with me.

This comment told me pretty much all I needed to know about him anyway.
 True head-fiers use their ears, graphs for old people ... Boring stuff....

May 15, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #3,863 of 7,442

Im serious...

Lets take a book as an example?

Many writers, when write a book , have a good story , and a slow-burn characters, in order to build up a relationship between characters and a reader. Only after relationship between reader and books characters is established, thats when stuff that happen in a book start to mean something.  If you don't care for main character , it doesn't matter how exciting story is and how colorful its written...

So writer has to "paint" a psychological profile of a main character so you as a reader could feel like you actually met that person , thats where most writers fail ..

Same with review of audio gear , whats the point of going thru all the data , FR and such stuff if you haven't "painted" a Sonic Character of audio gear you reviewing  by using some analogies , gotta be creative about it.

Long time ago i read a post by some asian girl who described sonic character of beyerdynamic t5p in few words but it was so insightful i could get a clear picture of what it sounds like , she managed to use very colorful analogies and she was very creative with it , without using many words ...  the only thing that gave me a better perception of what t5p sounds like was actually listening to t5p.

most of reviews are dry and boring because they lack insight , and they lack insight because the person who wrote a review either didn't experienced anything special during listening , or couldn't express it with words.

Either way , not worth reading , in my opinon ...

Mate you are entitled to your opinion, but you have been nothing but dismissive and not to mention rude in a lot of your posts. 

Paul (@Brooko) puts in an incredible amount of work for his reviews, which mind you he does on his own time, in addition to having a crazy busy job. He bought all his own measuring equipment so others can benefit from his assessment which included objective and reproducible data. Not sure which review you were reading, but he goes into a lot of detail about how the Monk plus sounds, especially if you look at the graphs, which he did NOT ONLY of the Monk plus naked, but with DIFFERENT types of foam. And he measured the Monk as well, so people can visually see how they differ and make an informed decision. All of which he painstakingly calibrates to be as accurate as possible.

Do you know how much work that takes?

No you wouldn't because you are going on about fictional writing and some other tangents, and have no idea how to even review something. Not sure what your beef is but I find your attitude rather amusing and bordering on childish. Don't be surprised if no one takes you seriously around here. Everyone here gets along rather well and we are all friends in one of the best hobbies imo.  I don't think he's the one here who has trouble expressing themselves with words here 
rolleyes.gif

May 16, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #3,865 of 7,442
@CoiL how did you make those shells on iems? or did you buy it? and how did you transfer the dynamic, it has thin copper wires on them very fragile disassembling the dynamic from earbud caps.
Sorry for late answer. 

Like I said - handmade by myself using long-time skills and some special tools. I know drivers have those thin wires, that`s why You have to be very careful when removing them from plastic shells - they also will "brake apart" from between membrane ring and magnet back-end. 

Btw, after listening more to NUN-mod, I`ve still found one issue "area" with high-mids / low-highs, probably due to internal wood reflection/absorption of certain frequencies.
This time I think I can`t repair it anymore (it requires breaking wood-shells) and will be resolved with next NUN-mod 
wink.gif
 I mean, NUN-mod sounds great... great bass tightness and punch, great male vocals and strings in mids, great separation, imaging and soundstage, great hi-hat, cymbals etc. but that little thing still overall makes my WOM-mod little better. Well, next NUN will become better I believe.

May 16, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #3,866 of 7,442
After fidgeting all day staring at tracking app on my phone the VE Monk+ finally arrived, just 2 1/2 week of waiting (grr..)

putting it on I'm surprised by the amount of bass it pack <-- not lacking at all!

and the sounds... hooley sheeeit..!!! THAT SNARE!! can't wait the burn in I'm just gonna listen to it all the way.

ear fin not included. I should've  splurge little extra. gonna hunt them ASAP. and a cheap amp too I can feel it draining my phone battery.

May 16, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #3,867 of 7,442
Finally! Monk+ here we come... Didn't get the expansion pack because they were out of stock when I bought 'em. Maybe I should get another pair just for the expansion pack... 

They do already sound good with the stock red/blue foams though. Did not expect this kind of quality for $8 shipped...

May 16, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #3,868 of 7,442
Finally finally got the monks I ordered 2+ months ago, the mail took its time to Canada.

Anyways, they're pretty great, I dunno if they're better than the Yuin PK3s I used to have which broke but these are $5 instead of $35. Question thoguh, what difference does having the foam have vs having the foam with the whole vs no foam at all? I read some review saying positioning made a difference but there's only one way to put earbuds in your ear correct?

Also, anyone have a good Viper4Android saved profile or know where I can download one for these?

May 16, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #3,869 of 7,442
Finally finally got the monks I ordered 2+ months ago, the mail took its time to Canada.

Anyways, they're pretty great, I dunno if they're better than the Yuin PK3s I used to have which broke but these are $5 instead of $35. Question thoguh, what difference does having the foam have vs having the foam with the whole vs no foam at all? I read some review saying positioning made a difference but there's only one way to put earbuds in your ear correct?

Also, anyone have a good Viper4Android saved profile or know where I can download one for these?

@Brooko talks about sound and the different foam in his review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/venture-electronics-ve-monk-monk-plus/reviews/15998

May 16, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #3,870 of 7,442

I'm using a simple V4A profile that you should be able to set up in minutes. I've tweaked the eq according to the suggestions in Brooko's review posted a few pages back, and I'm slowly adjusting them to better suit my preference. I've also played around with a few .irs/convolver settings, the more neutral ones without a lot of effects seem to sound best. Monks already have a decent soundstage, so I don't think they need much in the way of 3D effects. I've also ticked VIPER clarity, but it doesn't change the sound a lot.

Yes, Brooko's review has good info about how the foams affect the sound, generally more foam=more bass and sometimes less clarity/highs. My experience is that the foams also have an effect on how deeply you can insert them in the ear and have them stay in place. I think this is an underrated impact of the foams, and is part of what reviewers mean when they talk about positioning, also angle in the ear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back