[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
May 17, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #3,871 of 7,442
just got my monk+ yesterday too..tried them with the light foams and honestly im impressed by the sound :)

so i tried them again without the foam..whoah!!

sound is even better and more clear..the mids and highs sounds great without foams, but the bass become kinda soft
frown.gif

is there a way to mod the light foams to be do-nut foams?!

maybe that could solve the bass issue..

May 17, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #3,872 of 7,442
Stop teasing guys... gotta get my hands on M+ to make a new NUN 
tongue.gif
 Atm waiting for HLSX808`s and won`t pull trigger before hearing them.

May 17, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #3,873 of 7,442
  just got my monk+ yesterday too..tried them with the light foams and honestly im impressed by the sound :)

sound is even better and more clear..the mids and highs sounds great without foams, but the bass become kinda soft
frown.gif

mod mine to be donut foams but the foam is so porous it stretched over every time. been thinking if I should get the hiegi donut foam. 

edit* my friend wanted to order the monk too but when I head back to aliexpress the price turns to 1,000.00usd. is this indication that there's no more stock or..? TQ in advance

edit 2. just read the update on VE aliexpess.. need to wait 2-4 days. demmmm

May 17, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #3,874 of 7,442
I received my Monk plus a few weeks ago and tested rubber rings, new thin foams, old Monk full foams, and old Monk donut foams and found the donut foams to be the best to my tastes- nice bass whilst still retaining clarity on the upper end.

May 17, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #3,875 of 7,442

frown.gif

I use tool from leather hole punch set to make holes to light foams. They're perfect tools to make perfect holes to different materials. I prefer donuts because of tighter bass and better clarity on mids and highs. Beware, when making holes to foams, make sure you won't make too large holes because then foams won't stay on when you insert Monks in your ears. But I think donut foams are exactly what you need.
wink.gif

May 17, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #3,876 of 7,442
  I use tool from leather hole punch set to make holes to light foams. They're perfect tools to make perfect holes to different materials. I prefer donuts because of tighter bass and better clarity on mids and highs. Beware, when making holes to foams, make sure you won't make too large holes because then foams won't stay on when you insert Monks in your ears. But I think donut foams are exactly what you need.
wink.gif

Do you think making your own foams will yield better results than the Hiegi foams on Amazon? 

May 17, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #3,878 of 7,442
  Probably not, don't know about sound but Hiegis are probably more comfy. I probably order some Hiegi foams myself too. In meanwhile, modded donuts will do just fine.

Yeah, I might get some Hiegis too. Can anyone who has both the expansion pack donuts and the Hiegis compare the two, or do they make no difference? 

May 17, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #3,879 of 7,442

frown.gif

Hot pin, hot enough to melt the foam fabric, punch holes in the foam, the melted foam should provide a hard edge to the holes preventing them from expanding when stretched,, no I haven't done that yet but I might...someday

May 17, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #3,881 of 7,442
Hi fellow Monk's fans, this is my first post here, and I actually joined Head-fi in 2009... So I am embarassed to say I have more or less been a leecher seeping off all the knowledges on this forum without contributing. But I am here to give a shout out to @Brooko on his extensive reviews and measurements.

I own the original Monk and the Monk Plus. I bought the 75 ohm adapter for fun because of some of the members' opinion on it. I will just reiterate Brooko's finding that a 75 ohm impedance adapter has not made a difference to me for the Monk Plus. The adapter however, has completely changed the sound on my Campfire Orion and Triple Fi 10, but not in the pleasant ways (I hate it). So yeah it seems that an impedance adapter does change BA driver a lot but not in the case of dynamic driver.

I don't have very discerning ears so to me both the original Monk and the Monk Plus sound very similar to me, with the Monk Plus being a touch less airy for female vocal and a bit warmer in general. Thou I will just add that Lee is a magician in creating this thing for 5 USD.

PS: I am a scientist working in academia, so Brooko's reviews are to me, PERFECT because of the objective measurement and data. I bought the Campfire Orion based on your review and it's THE IEM to me. Consider me a fan of yours, Brooko!

May 17, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #3,882 of 7,442
i like how they change the price from 5 usd to 1000 whenever they want. makes you wanna buy another brand iem instead

Users who are viewing this thread

Back