2015 - Sony PHA - 1A Portable Hi-Res DAC/Headphone Amplifier
Dec 14, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #406 of 430
Disadvantage is relatively high output impedance for low-impedance travel headphones. Advantage is great sound and lots of input and output options, and charge from simple USB rather than proprietary charger. If you have a balanced headphone (unusual for travel), this is a nice small way to get balanced source for it. I am loving mine!

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #407 of 430
Disadvantage is relatively high output impedance for low-impedance travel headphones. Advantage is great sound and lots of input and output options, and charge from simple USB rather than proprietary charger. If you have a balanced headphone (unusual for travel), this is a nice small way to get balanced source for it. I am loving mine!

Was thinking of getting this for the Aeon Flow Closed from Mr.Speakers

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #408 of 430
Judging by the lack of enthusiasm in this thread. I would say this is not a good amp dac for travel?

It's a great DAC/amp for travel. I use it in my car and when I fly. Good battery life and it charges my A17 Walkman at the same time.

I think the 'buzz' dies down when a product has been out for a while and it's been deprecated by a newer model.

Dec 15, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #412 of 430
Hm.. more expensive too how is the PHA-2A? AT that price I would probably buy the Ifi IDSD Black Label.
I don't have one. I ended up getting a Pono for balanced out portable. But lately for portable use, I've been using more sensitive headphones like MDR-1a, MDR-1000x, T5P, which don't really need an amp. So with those I just use the A17, iPod Classic, or iPhone SE directly. So I haven't really been using the PHA-1A or the Oppo HA-2 much lately.
For desktop or living room, I use my Schiit stacks (magni/mimby and lyr/bimby) with the headphones that need more amping (HE560, HD600, DT880).
And then there's the Grados (SR80e, SR325e, and GS2000e).
I might have a problem....

Apr 24, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #417 of 430
Hi Chinerino, much appreciated for your reply, this info would be great for me.Have a good trip.
Okay so NW-A45 to me sounds really neutral with a bumped up bass which slightly compliments the PHA 1A.

I used AKG K553 Pros which can be used with or without the amp which i feel would be great for the comparison.

I played mostly orchestral pieces as well as a few indie and pop genres and a bit of metal.

Sound:

With the amp, the sound stage gets wider and the overall presentation really became bigger and fuller. Although the bass arent as tight before without the amp. The Wolfson DAC really retained its signature warm and full sound which I really liked and personally Im neutral with sony's take on the NW-A45 sound but its good to have a switch in sound presentation sometimes in awhile. The bass indeed became larger and smoother as compared to A40 which is tighter and the mids and highs with the amp does really sound wider, bigger, more intimate with a bit of sparkle on the trebles to keep things less boring!

The amp really makes certain genres shine e.g. acoustic vocals and guitars. It really made them intimate and addictive to listen to.

Physical looks

The amp really stacks well with the A40 and in fact the A40 fits the amp better than A17 due to its size. The combined weight really feels good to me and the stack looks gorgeous in my hands!

However the digital cable kinda sticks out but im fine with that

May 15, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #418 of 430
I'm thinking of buying a small dac/amp just for my iPod Classic 160 GB and IE800. Has anyone tried either Sony PHA-1 or PHA-1A with IE800? I'm considering buying one of them since the DAC should work with iPod, at least it did with PHA-3 that I already sold. Oppo HA2 SE might be another possible choice.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #419 of 430
Okay so NW-A45 to me sounds really neutral with a bumped up bass which slightly compliments the PHA 1A.

I used AKG K553 Pros which can be used with or without the amp which i feel would be great for the comparison.

I played mostly orchestral pieces as well as a few indie and pop genres and a bit of metal.

Sound:

With the amp, the sound stage gets wider and the overall presentation really became bigger and fuller. Although the bass arent as tight before without the amp. The Wolfson DAC really retained its signature warm and full sound which I really liked and personally Im neutral with sony's take on the NW-A45 sound but its good to have a switch in sound presentation sometimes in awhile. The bass indeed became larger and smoother as compared to A40 which is tighter and the mids and highs with the amp does really sound wider, bigger, more intimate with a bit of sparkle on the trebles to keep things less boring!

The amp really makes certain genres shine e.g. acoustic vocals and guitars. It really made them intimate and addictive to listen to.

Physical looks

The amp really stacks well with the A40 and in fact the A40 fits the amp better than A17 due to its size. The combined weight really feels good to me and the stack looks gorgeous in my hands!

However the digital cable kinda sticks out but im fine with that

Hi, new member here.

Doing some research on the internet about the Sony Walkman NW-A45, brought me here.

I wonder if you, or anyone else here, could help me.

I just bought the Sony Walkman NW-A45. I also have a Sony PHA-1A headphone amp as well, which I had planned to use w/the NW-A45.

The PHA-1A works just fine w/my iPhone, but I can't get it to work w/my new NW-A45.

I tried using the provided cable, the Sony WM proprietary to standard USB, which came w/my NW-A45, but w/no luck. It just helps to charge the NW-A45 from the PHA-1A. I tried connecting using a full size USB to micro-USB adapter, in order to attach to the micro-USB Input Connector on the PHA-1A, again no luck. By the way, I bought my PHA-1A used, and it didn't come w/any cables.

How do you get yours to work? Do I need a specific Sony proprietary digital cable, or digital cable for the Walkman, in order to do so? If so, where can I find one. I know there are after-market ones on eBay, but after my experience so far, I'm not too confident that they would even work.

So far I am quit happy w/my new NW-A45, which I had upgraded from an old iPod Classic I have, which was getting old, especially when it comes to the charges not lasting as long as they once did new. Plus it doesn't support Bluetooth.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #420 of 430
Hi, new member here.

Doing some research on the internet about the Sony Walkman NW-A45, brought me here.

I wonder if you, or anyone else here, could help me.

I just bought the Sony Walkman NW-A45. I also have a Sony PHA-1A headphone amp as well, which I had planned to use w/the NW-A45.

The PHA-1A works just fine w/my iPhone, but I can't get it to work w/my new NW-A45.

I tried using the provided cable, the Sony WM proprietary to standard USB, which came w/my NW-A45, but w/no luck. It just helps to charge the NW-A45 from the PHA-1A. I tried connecting using a full size USB to micro-USB adapter, in order to attach to the micro-USB Input Connector on the PHA-1A, again no luck. By the way, I bought my PHA-1A used, and it didn't come w/any cables.

How do you get yours to work? Do I need a specific Sony proprietary digital cable, or digital cable for the Walkman, in order to do so? If so, where can I find one. I know there are after-market ones on eBay, but after my experience so far, I'm not too confident that they would even work.

So far I am quit happy w/my new NW-A45, which I had upgraded from an old iPod Classic I have, which was getting old, especially when it comes to the charges not lasting as long as they once did new. Plus it doesn't support Bluetooth.

Thanks.
Heydon’t be anxious , I will send a set of pictures too later

So right you need to use a cable from Sony that uses that extreme left side input beside the USB in DONT worry it will work with the right cable u can get it from any Sony store

Users who are viewing this thread

Back