2015 - Sony PHA - 1A Portable Hi-Res DAC/Headphone Amplifier
Jun 30, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #421 of 430
Heydon’t be anxious , I will send a set of pictures too later

So right you need to use a cable from Sony that uses that extreme left side input beside the USB in DONT worry it will work with the right cable u can get it from any Sony store

Thank you for the reply.

Would you happen to know the part number at the Sony Store.

From my readings, the PHA-1A, PHA-2A, and the PHA-3 use the same cable.

At the store, the only one shown is for the PHA-3, P/N 1-848-633-11.

https://sony.encompass.com/item/10317944/Sony/1-848-633-11/Cable_(with_Plug)

Connect the Headphone Amplifier to the Walkman using the Walkman cable that comes with the Headphone Amplifier .

NOTE: Do not use the cable that comes with your Walkman.

servlet.FileDownload

A: Cable that comes with PHA-2
B: Cable that comes with PHA1A, PHA-2A, PHA-3
C: Cable that comes with PHA-1

Manufacturer
SON.png

Model Number
PHA3
Part List

• View Details
        Sony
        1-848-633-11
        Digital Cable For Walkman

78.95 - In Stock

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #422 of 430
Micro usb is the same port for android, xperia and walkman device. I've used the xperia walkman cable on my samsung J7 no issue at all. In contrast, usb port for apple products is not that great. My ipod touch will not recognise my PHA 1A whenever i pause my songs on the lockscreen and need to plug in the cable again or turn on the amp again. Anyone have this issue?
Yes I have the same issue with my IPHONE 6S, but I have to say that the sound is super clear and open with Audioquest cable.

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #423 of 430
Dammit, TPA6120 headamp chip again, I wish they'd stop using this awful thing. I detest its sound with headphones.
WM8740 - it's a nice DAC but I'll pass.
Oh well.

Any comparisons with the older PHA-1 and PHA-2?

Edit: and a mod idea if anyone wants to try it, I just remembered - swap that WM8740 DAC chip for WM8741, supposedly it is a drop-in upgrade according to snellemin, who reviewed the WM8740-equipped iBasso D7 and mentions the mod here

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #425 of 430
Chord Mojo is near PHA3 level.

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #427 of 430
Do I have a shovel? Yes, I do and I used it to necro this thread. I just picked up one of these nice little DAC/Amps for $150. Best $150 I have spent in a while. I was prepared to be disappointed because the specs seemed just okay and nobody ever talks about it. People are missing out. I have had quite a few portable DAC/Amps- Fiio Q1, Fiio Q5S, Fiio Q5S Type C and Mojo. I prefer this over the Q1 and depending on which headphones I am using the sound quality can be better in some cases then these others. If you need just a little extra energy in the sub bass and mid bass and don't have a way to EQ, this is a good choice. It lacks behind the Fiio Q5 models in detail and power of course. The sound quality is a little more rounded and smooth. Completely un fatiguing. Just a thin layer of added warmth. I tried this out with my MDR-Z7 and was shocked at the amazing synergy match between the two. Not top notch in detail or clarity, but buttery smooth (not gooey, or muddy) and decent for all genres and really great for Rock, hip hop and EDM. The bass is delicious. :beyersmile:
1633119662253.png

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #428 of 430
Do I have a shovel? Yes, I do and I used it to necro this thread. I just picked up one of these nice little DAC/Amps for $150. Best $150 I have spent in a while. I was prepared to be disappointed because the specs seemed just okay and nobody ever talks about it. People are missing out. I have had quite a few portable DAC/Amps- Fiio Q1, Fiio Q5S, Fiio Q5S Type C and Mojo. I prefer this over the Q1 and depending on which headphones I am using the sound quality can be better in some cases then these others. If you need just a little extra energy in the sub bass and mid bass and don't have a way to EQ, this is a good choice. It lacks behind the Fiio Q5 models in detail and power of course. The sound quality is a little more rounded and smooth. Completely un fatiguing. Just a thin layer of added warmth. I tried this out with my MDR-Z7 and was shocked at the amazing synergy match between the two. Not top notch in detail or clarity, but buttery smooth (not gooey, or muddy) and decent for all genres and really great for Rock, hip hop and EDM. The bass is delicious. :beyersmile:
1633119662253.png
I am surprised that you are impressed by this little device when you have a mojo, I sold mine after I brought the mojo, there was little reason for me to keep the Sony.

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #429 of 430
Nice! Great deal for $150!

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #430 of 430
I am surprised that you are impressed by this little device when you have a mojo, I sold mine after I brought the mojo, there was little reason for me to keep the Sony.
The main benefits of the Mojo vs the PHA-1A as I see (hear) them are around 3x the power, better volume control and flexibility. The main benefits of the PHA-1A are great sound for the price, simplicity, Sony build quality and reliability. While the Mojo does sound very good, it is clunky to use and may be downright confusing to use for some. I find sound, build quality, honesty and simplicity of the PHA1-A to be refreshing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back