$200-$300 IEMs?
Jun 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Obstinate

Head-Fier
Hi, I just got my paycheck (yay!) and am on the market for some new IEMs, since my SA6s just aren't cutting it anymore. I listen to a lot of baroque pop (think Belle & Sebastian, Beach Boys, Beatles, etc.) and a fair amount of classical, along with hip-hop on occasion. So I'd prefer something that really brings orchestras to life! I've been looking at the Westone 2/3's and the ER-4S. Do you think these would suit my needs? Or have any other recommendations? I'd also be open to springing for higher priced phones. 

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 26
I think you would be most pleased with the Etymotic ER-4 series.

You may want to consider the P model, and then also get the S converter cable as well.

Hope you enjoy your new headphones, no matter what you get.

Jim

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 26
Get the sony ex1000 in the sale trade forum best iem ive hear by far and i own shure 535 um3x and sm3 and ive listened to all of them for long periods of time each one ,with normal tips and with custom acs tips and tried different sources also .the sonys match perfect with those genres but they rock too

Jun 30, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 26
Jun 30, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:
Hi, I just got my paycheck (yay!) and am on the market for some new IEMs, since my SA6s just aren't cutting it anymore. I listen to a lot of baroque pop (think Belle & Sebastian, Beach Boys, Beatles, etc.) and a fair amount of classical, along with hip-hop on occasion. So I'd prefer something that really brings orchestras to life! I've been looking at the Westone 2/3's and the ER-4S. Do you think these would suit my needs? Or have any other recommendations? I'd also be open to springing for higher priced phones. 

Be careful of the Bass Heads around here...

Here is a good read:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/506087/review-etymotic-er4p-er4s-the-living-legends

Hope it helps, Jim

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 26
Ex1000 for bassheads? I didnt heard the w4 or the er4 but compared to my balanced iems the soundstage of the ex1000 with all the detail clarity the timbre and the quality of the bass and echo is something to be heard

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:
Really? Whys that?

Thanks, Jim

Because it is a very narrow closed in sound.  Not necessarily claustrophobic but no space...sort of wired directly to your brain.  There are tons of other choices that create a much more expansive, spacial sound similar to headphones. Outside of monitoring or treble detail, Etys are grossly out of date.

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 26
Even though they're under $200 the R-50 would be more fun to listen to then the ER-4's.  They have all the detail of the Ety's but with a larger soundstage and just a more musical sound, the ER-4 has that cold Ety sound that imo gets old after awhile.  They also sound better than the W2 (which I also have) and as good or maybe a little better than the W3 but the W3 has more bass impact than the R-50.

Just my take on the IEM's your looking at and for $119.99 shipped with the sound quality of IEM's costing twice as much or more the R-50 should be one to consider.

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 26
 Because it is a very narrow closed in sound.  Not necessarily claustrophobic but no space...sort of wired directly to your brain.  There are tons of other choices that create a much more expansive, spacial sound similar to headphones. Outside of monitoring or treble detail, Etys are grossly out of date.

A professional grade iem (Etymotic ER-4) will never be out of style...

Now the bell bottom jeans that I am wearing, well that's another story!

LOLz, Jim

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:
LOLz, Jim

Depends what he is looking for. IEM technology has come a long way to create large soundstages and if he is looking for a big, expansive realistic type sound, Ety would be near the bottom of my list.  A lot has progressed since 1984.

For what it's worth the $400 Grado GR10 is exactly what a major upgraded ER4 would sound like.  At $400 it's pricey but really has no competitors.  It's a gem, even at $400.

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 26
LOLz, Jim

It's been a while since I've seen an etymotic fanboy.
I mean that in the best possible sense.
As for the OP, the er4p/s really will not cut it for the genres of music you listen to.
This isn't trance or electronica, you need musicality and life-like timbre to reproduce the essence of classical and baroque pop. The er4 is many things, and it's a great iem. However, there really are so much more selections out there that are able to capture the lush harmony of instruments without sounding overly "dry".

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #13 of 26
Im Going to vote either the Westone 2's on this one; the ER4P/S would give you amazing accuracy, but iMO the music doesn't carry as much weight as other phones bring, and as a result the music isn't as emotional or captivating.

The Etys are great phones though, and if you do go that route I highly suggest getting the Ps and then purchasing a P/S converter off of eBay or something.

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:
It's been a while since I've seen an etymotic fanboy.
I mean that in the best possible sense.
As for the OP, the er4p/s really will not cut it for the genres of music you listen to.
This isn't trance or electronica, you need musicality and life-like timbre to reproduce the essence of classical and baroque pop. The er4 is many things, and it's a great iem. However, there really are so much more selections out there that are able to capture the lush harmony of instruments without sounding overly "dry".

I'm afraid this sort of thing is usually said by people who actually don't have much experience of what a live classical orchestra or chamber group sounds like. I have an HF5, not an ER4, but the sound that comes out of them when fed a good recording is exceptionally realistic to my ears and in particular is incredibly accurate at reproducing convincing instrumental timbres. What people call "dryness" is actually what real instruments in a real hall sound like. Equipment that adds "lushness" to the sound only detracts from that kind of realism. All IMHO of course; these things are a matter of taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back