1MORE Announces New Quad Driver IEM @ CES 2017
Sep 1, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #421 of 567
This is a big hazard with forums like this. People buy one product in a given price range and they love it, then declare that not only is it the best in its price range, but that nothing else could be better

This is part of the hobby and I've seen it happen since HF started. Many years. I'm sure i've done it myself too.

If you read someone commenting how good a certain model is, how it's the best they've heard, best in class, worth X times what it costs, etc, it's very important to always remember one thing: "Which models has this person heard before?".
Saying something sounds amazing and is the "best I've heard" can be a bit of nonsense while still being genuinely honest. If someone compares, take into account what they have heard in comparison. Without knowing what the reference is, the claims are less valuable.

So these days I take certain suggestions seriously, when I realize the commenters/reviewer actually compared something to something else that's better or much better.

Tell me you have some Andromeda at home and prefer the Quads, and I'll go all crazy over the Quads, for example. :p

Sep 1, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #422 of 567
I'm going to buy the etymotic and test it out against the quads.

I don't disagree with what he said about different kinds of music. But I find the quads to be unforgiving. The more resolving the setup the less forgiving it is.

So I do find it hard to believe that those etymotic sound "better" and claim to be "reference" and yet sound good with all music?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #426 of 567
Having owned and enjoyed the Etymotic ER-4S, I agree with the previous post that the Etys are superior to the Quads: much more detail retrieval, clear as a bell and well balanced.
The Etys will sound right with a properly mastered and encoded source, they'll sound bad with bad sources. They are consistent.

Sep 4, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #428 of 567
I find that to be the same with the quads....
When there are bad sources I cant even listen to them because it sounds so bad. ALl the imperfections of the recording stand out.
As I said, I had both the Quads and the Triples. They can sound very nice with some music, but they are not accurate. And they are decidedly not consistent. If you haven't listened to the Etys, you owe it to yourself to listen how an accurate in ear sounds like. You'll be blown away.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #429 of 567
So I do find it hard to believe that those etymotic sound "better" and claim to be "reference" and yet sound good with all music?
Please point out to where I said the Etys sound good with all music, because I didn't.

And the Etymotics don't "claim" to be "reference" - they actually are reference in ears, and people have recognized them as such for over 20 years.

Sep 4, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #430 of 567
because the quad has character. unless you are into audio mixing, finding the "perfect" earphones for some songs/genre are always the more interesting route.
that's why we buy different dac and amp then mix and match with different ear tips.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #431 of 567
because the quad has character. unless you are into audio mixing, finding the "perfect" earphones for some songs/genre are always the more interesting route.
that's why we buy different dac and amp then mix and match with different ear tips.
True. Basically, every headphone has some sort of character...

I'm just wondering if, in the case of the Quads and Triples, the character comes from phase issues between the drivers.

It'd be very interesting if anyone had any ideas about this. I can't imagine how to coherently add the output of those drivers inside an earphone without a crossover. But I'd be open to learning a bit more.

As it is, I sold my Triples and Quads. And I rarely, if ever, sell my gear (because of what you mentioned - I love my different headphones signatures). The thing is, to me, the Quads and Triples sound as if there was something wrong with them. Not with the tuning, but with the design.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #432 of 567
True. Basically, every headphone has some sort of character...

I'm just wondering if, in the case of the Quads and Triples, the character comes from phase issues between the drivers.

It'd be very interesting if anyone had any ideas about this. I can't imagine how to coherently add the output of those drivers inside an earphone without a crossover. But I'd be open to learning a bit more.

As it is, I sold my Triples and Quads. And I rarely, if ever, sell my gear (because of what you mentioned - I love my different headphones signatures). The thing is, to me, the Quads and Triples sound as if there was something wrong with them. Not with the tuning, but with the design.

I'm not sure what phase issues you are talking about.... Listening to other over-ear headphones I don't detect any "inaccuracies" as you are mentioning. The music sounds the same on other headphones just these have more detail.

I will have to find someone that has the Etymotic's because I'm not going to buy something that goes so deep into the ear.
I did read a bunch of reviews about it which talk about its flat sound signature being great for mixing and audio research. But considering all of the reviews that the quads/triples have gotten, not a single review has ever said that the drivers "don't work right".

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #433 of 567
It all depends on which headphones you are listening as reference. I use the Sennheiser HD580, HD600, Oppo PM-1, HiFiMan 400s, Etymotic ER-4S, ER-4R, and AKG 712-Pro. What are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back