1964 Ears
Jun 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #3,932 of 7,417
I ordered universal V6, hope it'll meet my expectations =)

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #3,933 of 7,417
Nice, apparantly it's a 3 week build.  I was actually advised to go for either the 3 or the quads for my type of (progressive) rock music.  Not sure whether to go for it or not.  Seeing as it's looking like customs are a no go for me the custom universal may be the next best thing.

For those that had the v3 and or quads, how were they for rock/metal type music?

Cheers

PS the only thing stopping me is the possibilities of duties, will read up on the models this weekend...

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #3,934 of 7,417
Well I chose rush order... and its supposed to be 5 days with that, so I hope I'll get it within 2 weeks time.
I think the quads have more bass emphasis while the v3 is in btw the quads and v6. Balanced?
My preference in song genre is very wide, so its either a v3 or v6 for me. Decided on a v6 since I haven't tried a 6 driver iem before :wink:

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #3,935 of 7,417
David - I listen to a lot of metal/'prog' type bands (I.E Mogwai, GYBE, etc) & these sound great through the V3's. Obviously the Quads have much more bass based on what people here have said/what 1964 say about them. I think Patrick might be onto something re: using a DAC/amp with a portable setup to get the most out of them (haven't tried this myself yet; saving up for a better source), though they sound pretty damn good through my Cowon X9 un-amped.

Cy514 - Your fit will be almost entirely dependent on the accuracy of your impressions & how much the shape of your ear canal changes with different mouth/jaw movements and how much of same you do whilst wearing them. If your ear canal changes shape considerably with a lot of jaw mouth/movement, you may find you lose seal briefly & then the seal comes back when your jaw resumes a 'normal' position (I've seen a few people on here/elsewhere mention this tho I've never experienced it myself). Or they might fit like the proverbial glove all the time/no matter how you move your jaw, etc. If you had your impressions done to the manufacturer's instructions & they're past the 2nd bend, you should get a great fit notwithstanding the above :wink:

Patrick - Thanks for the info, might have to dip into my iBasso fund to spring for a FiiO/similar given it's available @ such a reasonable price :)

Edit - For clarity.

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #3,936 of 7,417
Quote:
David - I listen to a lot of metal/'prog' type bands (I.E Mogwai, GYBE, etc) & these sound great through the V3's. Obviously the Quads have much more bass based on what people here have said/what 1964 say about them. I think Patrick might be onto something re: using a DAC/amp with a portable setup to get the most out of them (haven't tried this myself yet; saving up for a better source), though they sound pretty damn good through my Cowon X9 un-amped.

Edit - For clarity.

Hi

Thanks for that, I don't believe in amping.  I am lucky enough to be able to listen to music at work, but got to keep it simple (kis!)  That means headphones and mp3 player.  As I have an iriver 120, ipod classic AND sansa clip plus I think I'm set.

I've been in contact with 1964 and they recommend the v3 instead of the 6 with a side order of quads thrown in.  I'll have a think this weekend and see if I want to go through with the order.
Quote:
Well I chose rush order... and its supposed to be 5 days with that, so I hope I'll get it within 2 weeks time.
I think the quads have more bass emphasis while the v3 is in btw the quads and v6. Balanced?
My preference in song genre is very wide, so its either a v3 or v6 for me. Decided on a v6 since I haven't tried a 6 driver iem before
wink.gif

Nice, just emailed them to enquire if that $75 rush is international as well (it says $120 on the faqs but no option, so either not available at this time or it's been changed).  It's every likely hood that you'll get yours before I even place (if ever!) an order for mine.  So I'd be interested in your experience.  I'm just after a nice sounding, decent fitting reasonable headphone that can block 90% of the **** at work. 

Cheers

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #3,937 of 7,417
Hi

Thanks for that, I don't believe in amping.  I am lucky enough to be able to listen to music at work, but got to keep it simple (kis!)  That means headphones and mp3 player.  As I have an iriver 120, ipod classic AND sansa clip plus I think I'm set.

I've been in contact with 1964 and they recommend the v3 instead of the 6 with a side order of quads thrown in.  I'll have a think this weekend and see if I want to go through with the order.
Nice, just emailed them to enquire if that $75 rush is international as well (it says $120 on the faqs but no option, so either not available at this time or it's been changed).  It's every likely hood that you'll get yours before I even place (if ever!) an order for mine.  So I'd be interested in your experience.  I'm just after a nice sounding, decent fitting reasonable headphone that can block 90% of the **** at work. 

Cheers

Well I initially chose standard order, but I got into an impatient mood then changed my order to rush a day later. They emailed you to say there is no rush option? Maybe they have too many pending rush orders at the moment. Lucky I got a slot, hope they realize its a rush order!

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #3,938 of 7,417
Quote:
Well I initially chose standard order, but I got into an impatient mood then changed my order to rush a day later. They emailed you to say there is no rush option? Maybe they have too many pending rush orders at the moment. Lucky I got a slot, hope they realize its a rush order!

Nope no email, just no option on the site for international rush orders which is what I wanted clarifying!  In all honesty I'm just leaning to getting a westone or something like that and having done with customs (and universal customs).  Can now get mine to fit but I don't think I'll be able to use them in the situation I was hoping for (work).  Enjoy when you get them :)

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #3,939 of 7,417
Quote:
I think you might be pleasantly surprised re: delivery time Wraith. They posted mine on Thursday arvo US time, I got them Tuesday morning Australian time (Monday evening US time), and that was with their 'standard' delivery option; wasn't expecting them until the Thursday/Friday.

You were right Mistah, the V6s showed up on my doorstep on Friday morning, too bad I was not there to sign for them and now have to wait until tomorrow to go to the post office to pick them up.   1964 did a great job meeting their turn-around time and getting them shipped out quickly.  

I'll give an update on the V6 tomorrow evening after I have put them through their paces.  I'm a firm believer in burn-in for dynamic headphones but do IEMs benefit from burn in as much?

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #3,940 of 7,417
davidcotton said:

Nope no email, just no option on the site for international rush orders which is what I wanted clarifying!  In all honesty I'm just leaning to getting a westone or something like that and having done with customs (and universal customs).  Can now get mine to fit but I don't think I'll be able to use them in the situation I was hoping for (work).  Enjoy when you get them :)

Did you fill in the order form? The rush order option is actually in the form.
I'll post some pics and a brief review once I have it :)
But from what I heard, even the demo set is in a different class than the westone and shure universals (in a good way)

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #3,941 of 7,417
So... 1st impressions on my V6s, sleeves, and earplugs (1964 got a lot of business from me recently).

My biggest worry about the V6s was the fit but they fit awesome and have a really great seal.  I was listening to them in my basement and didn't even know that the blower for the A/C came on (which is pretty loud down here) and that is without music even being on!  I also didn't think that I would get a lot of separation from them given that they are in-ears and that seems to be the purview of open-backed cans but my headphone test playlist, which has some selections from the Chesky Binaural disk, really showed what these things can do.  I was really able to focus on where everything was happening in the room and it felt very natural.  

As for the overall sound, I would definitely agree that these are a very neutral sounding CIEM but it can really pump out the bass and treble if called upon.  Out of my iPhone 5 they sounded really good, but when I plugged them into my Fiio E7K and iPod Classic, they REALLY sounded great, and the the bass at times could only be described as head shaking.  There was a very slight hum on the E7K even at 0 gain but it was very slight and not noticeable when the music was going.  I also ran the full frequency sweeps from my headphone test playlist and this thing has some serious reach.  At the 10Hz floor there was some nice rumble and all the way up to 22kHz (though my hearing crapped out really at about 19kHz but I could tell something was going on), the V6s performed very well.

On every type of music I threw it, from Def Leppard to Dave Brubeck, to Anne Akiko Meyers and Ottmar Leibert, the sound was sweet, controlled and authoritative in all the right spots.  I still have about a dozen other reference songs that I want to run by it but so far I am very happy with my V6s, especially since I got them on sale.  My only disappointment with them is the color.  The platinum on the website looked a lot nicer than the more muted color I received.  I understand that those were only approximations but I'm really glad I did not get the wine colored ones, I'm afraid they would have looked lavender and that would have caused a lot of explaining on my part to my friends.  
biggrin.gif

As for the earplugs, they are awesome and do exactly what I want them to do and very comfortably so.  The sleeves that I had made for me universal IEMs are good but not great.  They do change the sound signature just slightly since they are channelling the sound down a tube instead of just direct into your ear canal but it is nothing that is too bad.  The bigger issue is getting the things in.  Since they are not one nice unit but instead just pop onto the stems of the IEM, you don't have as much to grab on to so that you can get the nice twist-in-and-go like you can with the V6s.  They do what I want though, they are a more comfortable and more isolating earpiece for my knock-about IEMs that won't come out of my ears as easily.

All-in-all I am very happy with my purchase from 1964 Ears and would recommend them to anyone despite the hiccup in communication early on in the process.  Get good impressions and 1964 Ears will give you back a great set of headphones!

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #3,942 of 7,417
Hi,
This is sorta off topic but I recently got a pair of V3's w/ recessed sockets and I wanted to switch out the cables. But I've been trouble removing the pins from the socket? I am not really sure how much force I should be pulling on the pin connection. Can anyone let me know if it should really be that hard? And is it supposed to be taken out by using your hand or tweezers or what?

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #3,943 of 7,417
Quote:
Hi,
This is sorta off topic but I recently got a pair of V3's w/ recessed sockets and I wanted to switch out the cables. But I've been trouble removing the pins from the socket? I am not really sure how much force I should be pulling on the pin connection. Can anyone let me know if it should really be that hard? And is it supposed to be taken out by using your hand or tweezers or what?

Recessed sockets will apply a fair amount of resistance on the cable plug as you're attempting to remove it, however you should still be able to remove them by hand. You should be sure to apply your force on the connection, and not the cable.

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #3,944 of 7,417
You were right Mistah, the V6s showed up on my doorstep on Friday morning, too bad I was not there to sign for them and now have to wait until tomorrow to go to the post office to pick them up.   1964 did a great job meeting their turn-around time and getting them shipped out quickly.  

I'll give an update on the V6 tomorrow evening after I have put them through their paces.  I'm a firm believer in burn-in for dynamic headphones but do IEMs benefit from burn in as much?

Hi ! It seems the V6 are very fit for you :) may I have some photos ? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back