1964 Ears
Apr 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #3,812 of 7,417
Quote:
Been rocking Dt1350's for a long time. Kinda wish I had some IEM's now, so I'm looking at getting the Quads (from what I hear they sound like the W4, but better?)

Anyone from the CA East Bay Area? I'm trying to find a place to get my impressions done. Don't want to drive out to SF.

I haven't tried the W4, but my experience with the Quads was mixed. They had too much bass for me and it wasn't the tight, controlled variety. Edit: I should note that I had them re-shelled by UM which may have affected the sound signature. They were my first pair of customs and overall, I thought they sounded good, but not as good as my GR07s (which I may be sending to you soon for a re-cabling). I thought they were going to blow me away, but they didn't. I think it came down to them having a sound signature that just wasn't my cup of tea. On top of that, my ears don't really care for the feel of CIEMs. I guess I was doomed from the start, but it was a good learning experience.

May 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #3,815 of 7,417
So I finally got my V3's :)

They're amazing.
Short review and a quick photo at the V3 appreciation thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/629288/review-1964-ears-v3-triple-driver-custom-iem-updated-10-24-12/120#post_9404683

May 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #3,817 of 7,417
Hey all,

I'm looking to pick up a pair of the 'V3's soon and I'm looking for a reasonable amp-DAC combo. Nothing too fancy, below 600 USD for the pair would be solid, if not lower. In fact, if anyone could recommend a <450 and a <600, that'd be awesome. My source is the Cowon Z2.

Thanks all, you're always helping out.

May 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #3,818 of 7,417
Hey all,

I'm looking to pick up a pair of the 'V3's soon and I'm looking for a reasonable amp-DAC combo. Nothing too fancy, below 600 USD for the pair would be solid, if not lower. In fact, if anyone could recommend a <450 and a <600, that'd be awesome. My source is the Cowon Z2.

I heard good thing about the Modi/magni combo, and since you're only using IEM, you won't need more power than that. They're only $200 together plus tax where you live.
You can check out the Modi/Magni threads for more info.

May 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #3,819 of 7,417
The V6 is definitely tempting. It seems to be more of a "reference sound" kind of signature which is something that does pique my interest. For those of you that have it is this the case? It would be interesting how it compares to something like the JH13, UERM or something like the Alclair Reference or any other kind of custom that I would think would have this kind of signature.

May 5, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #3,820 of 7,417
Quote:
Hey all,

Because the Z2 does not have a line-out, an external dac will be of no use - there is no way for you to bypass the one in the Cowon. The best you'll be able to do with the Z2 as your source is use an external amp (you'll be double-amping, but there's nothing wrong with that afaik). You may opt for a dac/amp combo in spite of this just to have an option when using your computer.

May 5, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #3,821 of 7,417
Quote:
Because the Z2 does not have a line-out, an external dac will be of no use - there is no way for you to bypass the one in the Cowon. The best you'll be able to do with the Z2 as your source is use an external amp (you'll be double-amping, but there's nothing wrong with that afaik). You may opt for a dac/amp combo in spite of this just to have an option when using your computer.

Quote:
I heard good thing about the Modi/magni combo, and since you're only using IEM, you won't need more power than that. They're only $200 together plus tax where you live.
You can check out the Modi/Magni threads for more info.

Thanks guys, both of those post are solid feedback, and while I'm tempted to buy the new magni/modi, it'd be for other reasons. I guess I should specify; I'm looking for a portable rig. That's my fault, I definitely should have said so before. Any recommendation for a portable rig at the same price point? Also, I love my Z2, but are there any other (cheaper) players that would work better with a portable rig? Would the Clip work? I'm tossing down $475 for the V3s and I don't plan on wasting their potential on poor compliments. Thanks again!

May 5, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #3,822 of 7,417
Thanks guys, both of those post are solid feedback, and while I'm tempted to buy the new magni/modi, it'd be for other reasons. I guess I should specify; I'm looking for a portable rig. That's my fault, I definitely should have said so before. Any recommendation for a portable rig at the same price point? Also, I love my Z2, but are there any other (cheaper) players that would work better with a portable rig? Would the Clip work? I'm tossing down $475 for the V3s and I don't plan on wasting their potential on poor compliments. Thanks again!

Check out FIIO E17.

May 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #3,823 of 7,417
Quote:

Leckerton Audio UHA-6S.MKII is excellent as 'just' an amp, and if you get a portable player later that has digital out (or want to use it with your computer) you can do that too.

If you go that route I would strongly recommend emailing them and asking for the low gain version, as it makes the volume control usable with CIEMs.

May 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #3,824 of 7,417
C5 is also a good option. 

May 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #3,825 of 7,417
Hey all...new to the forum here. My first post. I just ordered/paid for my first ever Customs...got the 1964 V3's based on reviews I've read here and at other places. Seems like these things can't be beat for the price.

My question is: how long did you wait from the point of payment until you received them? Did they give you updates during the build process?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back