1964 Ears
May 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #3,151 of 7,417
Interesting.. I have both a UM (Miracle) & 1964Ears (Quad) custom.. I found the Quad to be noticeably more snug & the Miracle to feel looser (but still fit well).  Also, the Quads nozzle is a good 3-5 mm longer, too.

That is interesting, wonder what is the source of variation. It's probably the impressions, eh?

May 1, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #3,152 of 7,417
That is weird - my UM Merlin fits a little more loosely, and has a bit of a shorter tip, compared to my 1964-T. Different impressions but taken by the same guy (me) using the same method I've done countless times, so they should be consistent. I always assumed UM went for a slightly more "comfort" oriented fit. I guess a sample of two is not enough to be meaningful. 

Anastasia does have a very nice voice though!

May 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #3,153 of 7,417
Quote:
Really, really green. I like them, but I was a little startled, to be honest.
It's surprising how different the 1964 Ears customs fit is compared to the UM. same audiologist, same ears, but the UM ones are just a bit tighter and a hair uncomfortable in consequence. I never quite forget they're there, unlike both 1964s I own.

My 1964 Quads started out too loose.  I had them modified, and now they fit like your UM's.  Tighter, a hair uncomfortable, and never quite forget they are there.  They are no where near grossly uncomfortable, and they sound great - better after the refit.

I think it is the nature of the beast - Custom fit from silicon shot in your ear, different positions when molding, different positions when wearing, and the manufacturing process cant be exact  - it isn't to drawings, it is fitting to a mold.  Amazing it works out as well as it does.

May 1, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #3,154 of 7,417
That is weird - my UM Merlin fits a little more loosely, and has a bit of a shorter tip, compared to my 1964-T. Different impressions but taken by the same guy (me) using the same method I've done countless times, so they should be consistent. I always assumed UM went for a slightly more "comfort" oriented fit. I guess a sample of two is not enough to be meaningful. 

My 1964 Quads started out too loose.  I had them modified, and now they fit like your UM's.  Tighter, a hair uncomfortable, and never quite forget they are there.  They are no where near grossly uncomfortable, and they sound great - better after the refit.

I think it is the nature of the beast - Custom fit from silicon shot in your ear, different positions when molding, different positions when wearing, and the manufacturing process cant be exact  - it isn't to drawings, it is fitting to a mold.  Amazing it works out as well as it does.

Also, given that the ears are living flesh, there's not necessarily any guarantee that the same ears will have exactly the same shape over different days. Not huge changes naturally, but I can imaging the canal being slightly smaller or larger depending on things like allergies, level of hydration, things like that.

Needless to say, I'm pleased with all of my customs, in their differences.

May 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #3,155 of 7,417
So, I'm done with full-size headphones at this point, and after reading what feels like hundreds of pages of reviews (and probably was) of various CIEMs, I'm definitely leaning towards the Quads as my first custom, but I was wondering if any Quad owners out there could comment on their sound with regards to metal (ok, being honest, specifically Blind Guardian, but I do listen to a crapton of metal, among myriad other genres).

I'm upgrading from GR07s, and what I absolutely adore about them is the instrument separation, relative neutrality (coming from Grados/Alessandros/Magnums) and that sub-bass presence that I was otherwise totally unused to before I got them. Revealing as the Magnum v4s were, the GR07s felt like a whole different world.

Test track for anyone who's bored (with surprisingly decent quality...for Youtube), and thanks in advance for any replies.
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3o4aqqnANc&feature=related[/VIDEO]

May 1, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #3,156 of 7,417
Quote:
Also, given that the ears are living flesh, there's not necessarily any guarantee that the same ears will have exactly the same shape over different days. Not huge changes naturally, but I can imaging the canal being slightly smaller or larger depending on things like allergies, level of hydration, things like that.
Needless to say, I'm pleased with all of my customs, in their differences.

Agreed.  I hadn't really thought about it, but I suspect you are right on.

May 2, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #3,157 of 7,417
I finally just finished reading the entire thread, I was originally searching around to have my TF-10's re-shelled but feel if I have that done ill still be curious about the Quads. SO...I figured id go "all in" and go for it, I wish i could dump the money for them now but I'm saving up for my wedding in December guess i just have to save up and wait a little longer for them.

But my only question i guess i dont know if anyone could answer is most of my listening is done on my lunch break at work since my job and New York State DOT require me to take a 1 hour lunch break (I'm a  delivery driver) and where i live temps in the winter can range from 30's to below 0 and during the summer from 90-115 or so and the back of my truck where i have to leave my bag IS NOT temp controlled so during the summer it gets about 10-15 degrees hotter (feels like it at least, and there's no A/C in the cab either)....So How does the acrylic hold up to those sorts of temps? they will be exposed to that from 8-12 hours

May 2, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #3,158 of 7,417
I finally just finished reading the entire thread, I was originally searching around to have my TF-10's re-shelled but feel if I have that done ill still be curious about the Quads. SO...I figured id go "all in" and go for it, I wish i could dump the money for them now but I'm saving up for my wedding in December guess i just have to save up and wait a little longer for them.

But my only question i guess i dont know if anyone could answer is most of my listening is done on my lunch break at work since my job and New York State DOT require me to take a 1 hour lunch break (I'm a  delivery driver) and where i live temps in the winter can range from 30's to below 0 and during the summer from 90-115 or so and the back of my truck where i have to leave my bag IS NOT temp controlled so during the summer it gets about 10-15 degrees hotter (feels like it at least, and there's no A/C in the cab either)....So How does the acrylic hold up to those sorts of temps? they will be exposed to that from 8-12 hours

Good question. I would ask 1964 Ears directly. They should know more about the specifics, as well as how their warranty would (or would not) apply to that situation.

May 5, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #3,159 of 7,417
Triples are back from their second refit. More than happy with the fit now. I've also got a pair of UM's on the way, I'll post a build/sound comparison when they arrive.

May 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #3,162 of 7,417
Has anyone here tried the musician's ear plugs?  I've been thinking about getting them since I have this ear problem where sounds at high volumes or multiple competing sounds(example: highway noise and music, or am radio playing while listening to my m50's) cause a fuzzy distortion in my left ear.  I think the distortion might have caused more damage.  So I figured the ability to swap full protection for etymotic filters may be nice when I want to hear something without having my left ear going fuzzy on me.

May 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #3,164 of 7,417
what's the best way to contact 1964 ears?

I have emailed them several times over the past 2 weeks, asking a few questions that I can't find answers to in their FAQ. Mainly, do they recommend any audiologists in the Mpls/ St Paul area? My ship is coming in soon, and when it does, I'm docking it right next to 1964 for a set of Quads.

and to you guys who have them, do you recommend the silicone tips? i was thinking about getting them, but then when I read the FAQ, it says that the silicone tips are not very durable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back