1964 Ears
Feb 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #2,987 of 7,417
I am looking into the Quad Driver Model, but I was wondering if their is any need of a special amp to use with my DAP? Or can they be powered well by most portable amps?

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #2,988 of 7,417

Quote:
I am looking into the Quad Driver Model, but I was wondering if their is any need of a special amp to use with my DAP? Or can they be powered well by most portable amps?

They are driven well by an iPod but some prefer to use them with an amp to give them a different flavor. To answer your question, yes they can be driven by all portable amps. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #2,989 of 7,417
Thanks, that really helps with my concern. Obviously after spending lots of time here, I do have an amp or two to use, but knowing they wont need much to power them is comforting

Quote:
They are driven well by an iPod but some prefer to use them with an amp to give them a different flavor. To answer your question, yes they can be driven by all portable amps. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #2,990 of 7,417

Quote:

I use an amp to have better volume control in order to turn it DOWN!  It is too danged loud out of an ipod or iphone for me.  Most aren't as sensitive to volume, and an ipod seems to work well for most.  In short, you don't need an amp, if you use one, it is nice to have low gain and/or very fine volume control.  I use a Pico Slim, I have used a Leckerton UHA-4.  Both worked really well for me.  TTVJ Slim didn't have the volume range.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #2,991 of 7,417
It's been roughly 8 months since I first received my Quads and I'm beginning to enjoy them more and more as time goes on. They are probably one of the best economical choices I've made recently with respect to audio gear since they have staved off any desire to upgrade as far as IEMs are concerned. The slightly recessed treble bugged me at first but after discovering how well the Q's responded to an equalizer, dialing in a few dBs into the 4-7~ kHz range remedied the issue without any clear distortion. Some people might find them a bit boring due to the their laid back nature but that's actually one of the reasons why I love them so much, they've become my go-to source for comfort listening. A big contrast from the aggressive JH16 I had a chance to audition a few months back. In short, the Quads are here to stay and I have no qualms giving them a long term home.

Anyways, even though I enjoy the SQ, I still find myself wanting a redesign in terms of artwork. I was wondering what 1964's policy on modifying artwork would be and assumed that a total reshell would be necessary. After speaking to Aleksey however, I was pleased to find out that the whole process was actually rather affordable. If you aren't planning on removing the underlying face plates (carbon fiber or wood), the cost of changing your art work would be $25 + the usual art fees. Aleksey mentioned that they only needed to shave the top portion above the face plate off and remold the area. This puts the total fee for me at $75 ($25 + $50 custom art) + shipping which is an extremely tempting price to get a new look.

I have some cash available after selling off my Denon AH-D7000's so I might just jump in on it. Being without the quads for a few weeks would suck though considering how often I use them.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #2,992 of 7,417
Alright, I'm taking the 1st step to admitting that I have a problem. I actually read through this entire thread and decided to give Vitaliy a call. What a cool guy! We talked mostly about the quads, shared some thoughts on music and recording, etc..I filled out the order form for the loaner program on Wednesday and tomorrow I will have a go with the quads. I wonder if I'll get any sleep tonight!
biggrin.gif
 Thanks to everyone who contributed their impressions. My weekend starts tomorrow. I think I'll start off with palladium from the heavy weather album and see where I go from there.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #2,993 of 7,417

Quote:
Alright, I'm taking the 1st step to admitting that I have a problem. I actually read through this entire thread and decided to give Vitaliy a call. What a cool guy! We talked mostly about the quads, shared some thoughts on music and recording, etc..I filled out the order form for the loaner program on Wednesday and tomorrow I will have a go with the quads. I wonder if I'll get any sleep tonight!
biggrin.gif
 Thanks to everyone who contributed their impressions. My weekend starts tomorrow. I think I'll start off with palladium from the heavy weather album and see where I go from there.

I can only say "sorry for your wallet" soon you will be pairing quads with DX100 and would you like a pair of Twag cables to go with them? 
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #2,995 of 7,417
After 6 months I'm loving my quads more than ever. I havent touched my old hd600, my etys, my MTPC, etc at all. So I sold them all (amongst old amps, etc) and am going to by a 2nd set of contrasting customs. If 1964 ears had their new line out I'd buy another pair from them, but I'm too impatient.

My best compliment about the quads: they are the only pair of iems or cans I haven't felt the need to e.q. :)

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #2,996 of 7,417
Unfortunately I don't have time to read 200 pages, so I'm hoping someone can help me with a few questions I have.
How does the JH5 compare to the 1964 D and T in regards to sound (Bass - mids - highs) taking into account the JH5 are considered "warm"

I'm a big fan of Senn HD650/LCD2, the warmer kind of sound and bass. Which of these 3 iems would suite me best?

Thanks for the help!

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #2,998 of 7,417
Does anyone here own a JH 5 pro and a 1964 Q (or has listened to both), I would love a comparison of the two. 

Mainly, of the two which one offers more clarity and detail. Both the JH 5 and Q have gotten great reviews, a hard pick i'd say.

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #3,000 of 7,417
okay... gonna revive this thread.. im new here..i have been conversing with Aleksey from 1964 ears and he tells me that there are not much reviews for the dual driver models but he says those who have tried it said that it compares to the JH 5 pro. Good bass, clean mids and non fatiguing highs. so i am planing on ordering on set soon buy currently is still stuck between the UE 4 PRO, JH 5pro or the 1964-D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back