1964 Ears
Sep 23, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #2,821 of 7,417
Just got my ear impressions done today (friday night here now), sent pics to 1964 to see what they think of them (as im an international customer), shipping on saturday/monday depending on when they get back to me, then its a big wait for the duals!

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #2,823 of 7,417

Quote:
Sproketz, I've got the digiZoid ZO and ZO2 on the way when I get home; if you're currently running unamplified, I recommend picking one up.  It's a very clean amp when you're not using the EQ, but with the EQ on...I won't go the fanboy route and say the EQ works miracles, but it does a stunning job of increasing bass without distortion--almost to the point where it's surprising that the headphones are capable of it.  Plus, it's another small company offering up a great product for cheap--only $100.

Interesting looking products. I'll look into these more, i've never heard of the digiZoid before. I have no idea what this would be like on the quads. can you tell me more about your experience with the digiZoid stuff?

The quads reproduce sound 4hz lower than the human ear can hear. I can easily give myself too much bass (didn't know that was possible) when tweaking with the software EQ. Not because the bass is distorting, but just that it's so strong it needs to be balanced down. This is not something i'm used to with any other headphone, usually the capabilites of the drivers simply fail to perform adequately and I just never get the bass i'm looking for.

For example, If i use the same tweaked EQ levels I use for my Quads on my Bose QC15s the distortion is just horrendous, they simply can't handle those frequencies at any volume above minimum. So far on all the tracks I've tried, the quads let me set my EQ to whatever I want it at and produce the sound as I tell them to without distortion. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #2,824 of 7,417

I have the Zo (digiZoid amp). You do not need it for the Quad. It serves iems and headphones better that are somewhat bass-lite. I wouldn't recommend it for the 1964-Q, although it is a great product. It's basically a portable subwoofer amp.
Quote:
Interesting looking products. I'll look into these more, i've never heard of the digiZoid before. I have no idea what this would be like on the quads. can you tell me more about your experience with the digiZoid stuff?

The quads reproduce sound 4hz lower than the human ear can hear. I can easily give myself too much bass (didn't know that was possible) when tweaking with the software EQ. Not because the bass is distorting, but just that it's so strong it needs to be balanced down. This is not something i'm used to with any other headphone, usually the capabilites of the drivers simply fail to perform adequately and I just never get the bass i'm looking for.

For example, If i use the same tweaked EQ levels I use for my Quads on my Bose QC15s the distortion is just horrendous, they simply can't handle those frequencies at any volume above minimum. So far on all the tracks I've tried, the quads let me set my EQ to whatever I want it at and produce the sound as I tell them to without distortion. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #2,825 of 7,417
Just popping back in to say hi. Glad to see so many people getting and loving their customs, I got mine in April and five months later not a hint of upgradiditis. The 1964-Ts paired with the arrow at its most neutral settings are the be-all and end-all, occasional fit issues but nothing that can't be fixed without some tweaking, and the sound quality is definitely worth the little bit of hassle. Enjoy your music, guys! :)

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #2,826 of 7,417

Quote:
... I can't wait for the company to grow and improve with even more magnificent sounding products (although my wallet is cursing at me as I type this...lol). 

I know right? What am I gonna do when they release a set of 1964 Ears Quints... or even worse... Octs.

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #2,827 of 7,417
i originally thought my quads' fit were better in the left than the right, that it sealed and isolated better, but it seems that i am the one with the problem - drumming for many years has caused my left ear to have high frequency hearing loss in my left ear due to all that high hat playing, so it sounds like i have more sound leakage in my right ear :frowning2:

this problem wasn't obvious even with using in-ears for years (starting with the ex51/71 way back in 2003, to most recently coppers and the w4) until i went to the superior isolation of the customs!

and so i'm pretty sure my quads were spot on in fit from the get go, no refits required!

everyone knows about the september promotion with the free shipping or free custom earplugs, right?

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #2,829 of 7,417

Quote:
Just across the ditch, Wellington, New Zealand

Hey man, I'm in Wellington too! You'll love your 1964's, I've had mine for over a week now and I'm LOVING them. . .

Great sound and fit! 1964 took about 2 weeks to build mine.

Total time from sending my impressions to receiving the IEM's was about 5 weeks. A week for the impressions to reach 1964, two weeks while they built them, 4 days shipping from the US to NZ, and over a week in NZ customs awaiting clearance. 

It felt like a LONG time.

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #2,831 of 7,417

Quote:
Hey man, I'm in Wellington too! You'll love your 1964's, I've had mine for over a week now and I'm LOVING them. . .

Great sound and fit! 1964 took about 2 weeks to build mine.

Total time from sending my impressions to receiving the IEM's was about 5 weeks. A week for the impressions to reach 1964, two weeks while they built them, 4 days shipping from the US to NZ, and over a week in NZ customs awaiting clearance. 

It felt like a LONG time.

What 1964s did you get? Found your post in another thread, tripls it is.

How does playing GST on them go? a phone call and a credit card?

A week in customs... thats going to kill me :)

Sep 26, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #2,832 of 7,417
Ask 1964 to put your cell phone number on the shipping label, that way, customs will call you. For some reason, they didn't call me - they posted a letter instead, which probably slowed things down even more. They seem to be charging more fees than they used to, I had to pay GST of 15% and nearly $50 in misc fees.

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #2,834 of 7,417

Quote:
Absolutely loving my quads!!!

Is it just me, or does anyone else have it where, a song comes on and, you find yourself with a big smirk on your face like you've just had a small lotto win?
biggrin.gif

I know this feeling you speak of.

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #2,835 of 7,417
How do these quads sound? are the mids recessed at all? how deep and wide is the soundstage? I'm deciding between these and the Westone ES5. Yeah I know they're completely different in terms of price, but i'm looking for the best bang for my buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back