1964 Ears
Sep 20, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #2,806 of 7,417
I am referring to the seal suction one gets with silicone tips. I have a slight suction with my soft canals.The curiosity to know whether full acrylics has the same suction is killing me, lol

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #2,807 of 7,417
Yes that was what I was referring to. I never really used foam tips and it's been a long time since I used them but my acrylic customs do not get that suction feeling.

I'm not sure about spending money for the vinyl tips then..maybe it's just that Westone does it better but I don't know anyone who has both a 1964 Ears vinyl tip and a Westone vinyl tip.

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #2,808 of 7,417
I wanted the soft canals because, I was thinking it could avoid multiple refits... but now it has me wondering how would it be if it was acrylic.

I will look at kozee cheep custom...

Quote:
Yes that was what I was referring to. I never really used foam tips and it's been a long time since I used them but my acrylic customs do not get that suction feeling.

I'm not sure about spending money for the vinyl tips then..maybe it's just that Westone does it better but I don't know anyone who has both a 1964 Ears vinyl tip and a Westone vinyl tip.

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #2,810 of 7,417

Quote:
I wanted the soft canals because, I was thinking it could avoid multiple refits... but now it has me wondering how would it be if it was acrylic.

I will look at kozee cheep custom...

If you do go with kozee just be sure to check out their thread and see if they still have CS issues. I was tempted to go through them but I decided against it due to CS issues. Maybe you can talk to 1964 Ears and see if they would make it into full acrylic and how much that would cost.

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #2,812 of 7,417
I got my Quads past Monday and I must say that they have been my best investment in this hobby. I have tried many different headphones and the differences had only to do with sound signature and some sonic improvements but I had never experienced such a jump in sound quality as I am experiencing with the Quads now. My previous in ears were Westone UM3X and Shure SE215. I really did love UM3X and they are excellent iems but the difference between them and the Quads right now is night and day 

The peeps are 1964 Ears are a delight to do business with. Anastasia replied my emails almost the same day and it was super fast (less than two weeks). They had a custom green color on their Facebook page so I requested that one and paid an extra 25 bucks but it didn't turn out to be the same color. I contacted them about it and they immediately offered refund... The fit is simply great from the first try; I don't think I have to send them back for a refit. It's just that I need some time to getting used to them because they do go realllyyyy deep into your ear canal. The right one fits and flushes perfectly but with the left one, I'm having this ear proctology moments :) if you know what I mean. So I'll ask you guys some questions later on about the fit. 

I'm going to describe the sound in a different post as I have stuff to do right now but if you're on the fence about getting customs, don't hesitate and if you're trying to decide between companies, please choose 1964 Ears :) I really want to see these guys prosper 

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #2,813 of 7,417
I've been reading and kozee still have problems with CS.

One question:
Do your ears get sweaty after some time with the custom in, and does that cause any discomfort? In my case the problem is mostly when my ears get sweaty

Quote:
If you do go with kozee just be sure to check out their thread and see if they still have CS issues. I was tempted to go through them but I decided against it due to CS issues. Maybe you can talk to 1964 Ears and see if they would make it into full acrylic and how much that would cost.

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #2,814 of 7,417
Hi All,

I've had a set of 1964ears quads for a week and thought I'd leave my impression for those considering buying. My perspective is a bit different from many here as I am not as experienced as many of the audiophiles and artists on this site.

I'm a music fan who likes everything from Classical and Ambient, to Industrial and Punk, and all of the great stuff in-between.

I am an architect and designer, listen to music in often busy environments where I need silence to work well. I fly frequently and like to block out the noise on the plane. I also like to immerse myself in my music collection and block out the world when I do it. Because of this my last set of phones was a set of Noise Canceling Bose QC15s. 

The QC15s are uncomfortable, get hot and sounded decent to me but I wasn't blown away. I needed an alternative and quickly found out about custom IEMs. Most of the prices were way out of my range $1000-1500 for anything good and I wasn't impressed with the idea of buying a single or dual driver IEM. 1964ears made a good pitch and the reviews here such as EricP10's swayed me.

I ended up with a nice set pictured here for $724 for the full deal including advanced art, recessed sockets, extra case and impressions. Significantly less than anything close to the specifications and range of the quads.

I had some difficulty getting them in at first. If you haven't worn customs before it will take you time to figure out how exactly to get them in and out quickly. 

The sound when compared to what I was using is night and day. Amazing, detailed, no distortion that I can discern, insane amounts of bass, lovely mids and clear and crisp highs. I'm basically in love here. I tried putting on my QC15s to hear the difference after a few hours with the quads and immediately heard how just plain awful those phones are. I guess you get what you pay for and $300 bucks ain't nearly enough.

I have MP3s in my collection that range from 320 to192KBps. I'm easily able to notice flat areas in lower quality MP3s that you cannot hear with a cheaper headphone. I did find however that using the 10 band EQ with PowerAmp (on my android phone) made it easy to improve the sound of the lower quality tracks to be quite enjoyable. I'll have to have a go with some of the iPad equalizers to see how they fare as well. I tend to stick to my android for music as it seems to sound better overall even without an EQ than my iPad. If your collection is not all high quality don't let it hold you back. The Quads still make your low quality MP3s sound amazing with a bit of EQ.

If you listen directly to a CD or use Flac you'll really uncover the true power of the Quads. There is simply no comparison when listening to  non-lossy formats. I can see that in the future it's going to be all 320KBps+ or Flac for me. This is music how it should be, you can hear the texture of Johnny Cash's calloused fingers on his guitar strings and the crackle of burning paper as Tom Waits takes a drag off his cigarette between notes. A great recording is a joy to hear with these phones.

A lot of people talk about the bass of the Quads and it's no exaggeration. I used Spotify to try out some of the sub-bass tests that car freaks use to see if they can blow their doors off their cars. The Quads didn't even flinch at this and not a hint of distortion was to be found anywhere. Just insane clear perfect bass. Even at the lowest volume level the bass is clear and full sounding. This is understandable as the range on the Quads goes below the 20hz that the human ear can actually hear. These are not headphones that require you to turn the volume up to hear the different ranges of sound. 

Noise isolation is fantastic and better than noise cancelling headphones. All the better that the feeling of pressure that is added by anti-noise is gone. I can listen to these without fatigue and they really block out everything. No batteries required. If you are searching for peace and quiet, get a pair of custom IEMs. I see noise cancelling technology as second rate after trying customs.

1964ears customer service is great. They answered all my silly questions quickly and were polite and informative about it. Nothing but love for this company.

Hoped this helped some on the fence with making a decision. Without a doubt, I'm a convert.

---

4/26/2012 - 6 Month Update: Still loving my Quads! I think of them as my own private isolation room when I'm at work. Always comfortable and always sounding amazing. Worth every penny. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #2,815 of 7,417

Quote:
does anyone listen to dubstep and/or d&b with the quads?  i've got my audiologist appointment in 2 weeks (when i get home), but i wanna be 100% before making a $600 leap.

Right here. Its interesting how many tracks you would expect to be bass demons that aren't so much with gear that can reproduce down to 18 cycles.  But yeah if its a clean production it sounds fab. Anything with distortion added in the master does become very apparent (D&B dj mixes are notorious for this).
On a side note (and i'm not a fan by any stretch) the song Cleveland is the Reason by Kid Kudi sounds ridiculous on the Q. It tends to makes my jaw vibrate.

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #2,816 of 7,417

Quote:
Right here. Its interesting how many tracks you would expect to be bass demons that aren't so much with gear that can reproduce down to 18 cycles.  But yeah if its a clean production it sounds fab. Anything with distortion added in the master does become very apparent (D&B dj mixes are notorious for this).
On a side note (and i'm not a fan by any stretch) the song Cleveland is the Reason by Kid Kudi sounds ridiculous on the Q. It tends to makes my jaw vibrate.

Totally agree on this. I think what is happening is having that much bass range puts things in perspective. The bass you thought was low because that's how low your old hardware could go really isn't that low at all. I hear bass tones on the Quads that weren't even audible before with my previous phones. If you are really a bass fan though I recommend using a 10 or higher band equalizer (software or hardware) to curve the entire bass spectrum up and get that ultra-defined punch. I get the purist concept of leaving the music flat, but for myself I like to tweak my sound for added richness in the areas I like. The Quads are just amazing for this.

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #2,817 of 7,417
I do not get discomfort from my 1964-T but I have not used for more than 20 minutes in the last 2-3 months but as long as they fit properly discomfort should not happen. As for sweat I don't think I have much of an issue with that.

Quote:
I've been reading and kozee still have problems with CS.

One question:
Do your ears get sweaty after some time with the custom in, and does that cause any discomfort? In my case the problem is mostly when my ears get sweaty

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #2,818 of 7,417
Nice review Sproketz, and I am glad that some of my words were partially responsible in helping you decide to try 1964 EARS. I make no bones that I am a big fanboy to the Q and the company as a whole. You like what you like, and I certainly like 1964 EARS. I couldn't agree more with what you said about the sound, and I can't wait for the company to grow and improve with even more magnificent sounding products (although my wallet is cursing at me as I type this...lol). Your customs look fantastic by the way. Enjoy your Quads sir. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Hi All,

I've had a set of 1964ears quads for a week and thought I'd leave my impression for those considering buying. My perspective is a bit different from many here as I am not as experienced as many of the audiophiles and artists on this site.

I'm a music fan who likes everything from Classical and Ambient, to Industrial and Punk, and all of the great stuff in-between.

I am an architect and designer, listen to music in often busy environments where I need silence to work well. I fly frequently and like to block out the noise on the plane. I also like to immerse myself in my music collection and block out the world when I do it. Because of this my last set of phones was a set of Noise Canceling Bose QC15s. 

The QC15s are uncomfortable, get hot and sounded decent to me but I wasn't blown away. I needed an alternative and quickly found out about custom IEMs. Most of the prices were way out of my range $1000-1500 for anything good and I wasn't impressed with the idea of buying a single or dual driver IEM. 1964ears made a good pitch and the reviews here such as EricP10's swayed me.

I ended up with a nice set pictured here for $724 for the full deal including advanced art, recessed sockets, extra case and impressions. Significantly less than anything close to the specifications and range of the quads.

I had some difficulty getting them in at first. If you haven't worn customs before it will take you time to figure out how exactly to get them in and out quickly. 

The sound when compared to what I was using is night and day. Amazing, detailed, no distortion that I can discern, insane amounts of bass, lovely mids and clear and crisp highs. I'm basically in love here. I tried putting on my QC15s to hear the difference after a few hours with the quads and immediately heard how just plain awful those phones are. I guess you get what you pay for and $300 bucks ain't nearly enough.

I have MP3s in my collection that range from 320 to192KBps. I'm easily able to notice flat areas in lower quality MP3s that you cannot hear with a cheaper headphone. I did find however that using the 10 band EQ with PowerAmp (on my android phone) made it easy to improve the sound of the lower quality tracks to be quite enjoyable. I'll have to have a go with some of the iPad equalizers to see how they fare as well. I tend to stick to my android for music as it seems to sound better overall even without an EQ than my iPad. If your collection is not all high quality don't let it hold you back. The Quads still make your low quality MP3s sound amazing with a bit of EQ.

If you listen directly to a CD or use Flac you'll really uncover the true power of the Quads. There is simply no comparison when listening to  non-lossy formats. I can see that in the future it's going to be all 320KBps+ or Flac for me. This is music how it should be, you can hear the texture of Johnny Cash's calloused fingers on his guitar strings and the crackle of burning paper as Tom Waits takes a drag off his cigarette between notes. A great recording is a joy to hear with these phones.

A lot of people talk about the bass of the Quads and it's no exaggeration. I used Spotify to try out some of the sub-bass tests that car freaks use to see if they can blow their doors off their cars. The Quads didn't even flinch at this and not a hint of distortion was to be found anywhere. Just insane clear perfect bass. Even at the lowest volume level the bass is clear and full sounding. This is understandable as the range on the Quads goes below the 20hz that the human ear can actually hear. These are not headphones that require you to turn the volume up to hear the different ranges of sound. 

Noise isolation is fantastic and better than noise cancelling headphones. All the better that the feeling of pressure that is added by anti-noise is gone. I can listen to these without fatigue and they really block out everything. No batteries required. If you are searching for peace and quiet, get a pair of custom IEMs. I see noise cancelling technology as second rate after trying customs.

1964ears customer service is great. They answered all my silly questions quickly and were polite and informative about it. Nothing but love for this company.

Hoped this helped some on the fence with making a decision. Without a doubt, I'm a convert.

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #2,819 of 7,417

Quote:
I do... you. will. not. be. disappointed.

Quote:

Quote:
Totally agree on this. I think what is happening is having that much bass range puts things in perspective. The bass you thought was low because that's how low your old hardware could go really isn't that low at all. I hear bass tones on the Quads that weren't even audible before with my previous phones. If you are really a bass fan though I recommend using a 10 or higher band equalizer (software or hardware) to curve the entire bass spectrum up and get that ultra-defined punch. I get the purist concept of leaving the music flat, but for myself I like to tweak my sound for added richness in the areas I like. The Quads are just amazing for this.

Thank all of you guys.  You've officially sealed my decision.  I basically wanted the mids and highs of my Grados and the lows of my PRO900; it sounds like these might actually outperform my beloved PRO900.  I can't freaking wait now.  :D

Sproketz, I've got the digiZoid ZO and ZO2 on the way when I get home; if you're currently running unamplified, I recommend picking one up.  It's a very clean amp when you're not using the EQ, but with the EQ on...I won't go the fanboy route and say the EQ works miracles, but it does a stunning job of increasing bass without distortion--almost to the point where it's surprising that the headphones are capable of it.  Plus, it's another small company offering up a great product for cheap--only $100.

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #2,820 of 7,417
Well I've put a couple of hours through my Quads so far and I'm a little disappointed. The Yamaha home theater I purchased a couple of weeks ago is sounding a little second rate against my quads!!! Fit is near on perfect! Left eat spot on. The right I can break the seal ever so slightly. The isolation is unreal. I was using an electric blower vac outside yesterday. If it wasn't for the vibration in my hand I would never have known it was on. And for sound reproduction, well!! I'm no audiophile by any means. In terms of other headphones the only non factory supplied in-ear I've owned is 2 sets of Sennheiser CX-500's, and a pair of technics open backed headphones back around 2000. But the detail of sound is awe inspiring. Bass seems to reach to a frequency I didn't realise some of the songs had, mids are detailed and rich, but not overpowered by the lower frequencies while the higher range has this clarity to it. Now I've come to really appreciate the significance of higher bit rate and lossless recordings I'm now "hunting" for higher quality music. I feel a bit of a bug coming on though. If the quads sound this good unamplified... Better not tell the wife about amps!!!

I'll report more as they have more hours through them. I work away for 2 weeks out of 3, and apparently walking around the house with headphones in my ears submerged in music is a little "rude" :D

Thank you to everyone on here who has helped persuade me into emptying my wallet straight up into audio nirvana!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back