1964 Ears
Sep 9, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #2,763 of 7,417
Yep - iPhone 4 drives Quads just fine. You won't be turning up the volume as high with a custom seal.

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #2,764 of 7,417
Man, I wish someone in here had heard both the triple and the quad drivers.  I like the quads for their bass response--my current go-to cans are the PRO900, for reference--but looking at the FR graph for the Triple, it looks like they might have a bit more sparkle thanks to the 6khz bump to -2db.  I imagine the quads would be a bit easier to listen to for long periods, though, thanks to the lack of that bump.  But the Trips are like, $125 cheaper.

edit:  Okay, I'm now dead serious about getting one of these two.  I was going to upgrade from my current cans to the Hifiman HE-500, but it's impractical for my purposes.

I currently own a set of woodied Grado 225i and my PRO900.  I use my Grado when I'm in my room and want to relax to its unbelievably rich vocal presentation and sparkly but not fatiguing highs (did I mention it's heavily modified?).  I use my PRO900 at work listening to mostly EDM and metal.  I have a hifiman EF2 for work/home.  I have an iTouch + ZO for portable.

It would be nice to be able to sell both sets of cans and use just these.  Honestly, I think I find the Trips' balanced FR a little more appealing; I just hope it wouldn't fall on its face when presented with some gnarsty dubstep.

If anyone could help me out with this, I would appreciate it HUGELY.  Thank you!

Sep 11, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #2,765 of 7,417
Hi, I'm afraid I only have the Quads, so can't answer your questions. However, maybe you can answer a question I have: I'm seriously thinking of getting an iPod Touch for portable, but don't want to skimp too much on SQ. At the moment I use a Rockboxed Clip+, since I love its playlist management. The reason I want an iTouch is because there are some (nonmusic-related) apps I'd really like to use when I'm away from home.

However, I'd like to know how good the apps on iTouch are. Can you edit playlists on the go, create new playlists, queue up songs, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #2,766 of 7,417
Quote:
Hi, I'm afraid I only have the Quads, so can't answer your questions. However, maybe you can answer a question I have: I'm seriously thinking of getting an iPod Touch for portable, but don't want to skimp too much on SQ. At the moment I use a Rockboxed Clip+, since I love its playlist management. The reason I want an iTouch is because there are some (nonmusic-related) apps I'd really like to use when I'm away from home.

However, I'd like to know how good the apps on iTouch are. Can you edit playlists on the go, create new playlists, queue up songs, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Ahhhh...I saw yours in their image gallery!  Very sleek design, my friend.

Honestly, I haven't spent that much time with the iTouch so far.  it's my first i-device, after spending years hating on apple.  SQ is pretty **** decent straight out of the device, but you probably already know that.  The apps are the whole reason I got it, and they're awesome. 

To answer your questions, you can edit and create playlists on the go, but it can be cumbersome.  Queuing can't be done out of the device by default, but there are plenty of apps that can accomplish it.  Actually, there are a lot of apps that offer music management and playback options; I haven't gotten to a point with it where I'm delving into playback options yet.  I don't know if you EQ, but if you do the stock EQ sucks.  That said, EQu is awesome and cheap.

If you haven't gotten to play with one in person for any length of time, but the screen is freaking amazing.  I thought image quality on my wife's Galaxy S was good, but it's seriously nothing compared to the Retina display.  When I first saw it, I was like "meh".  But after a few hours of using the device, I realized how crisp and clear and colorful everything is.

I got my 32gb off amazon for 235, which is the other reason I went ahead and got it.  Most android powered micro tabs/daps run as much or more than that.

Now, there are a couple of caveats.  It doesn't do FLAC playback by default; you have to jailbreak it and download one of the jailbreak apps to play it back directly--jail breaking is easy as hell, though.  Or, you can just convert all of your FLAC to AIFF.  Either way, it's something to keep in mind.  Also, iTunes sucks balls if you're used to the drag-and-drop folder management of the Sansa players.

What's your preferred music?  How do you like the Q?  or if you've already posted impressions/review in here, do you have a link to it?

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #2,767 of 7,417

Quote:
Man, I wish someone in here had heard both the triple and the quad drivers.  I like the quads for their bass response--my current go-to cans are the PRO900, for reference--but looking at the FR graph for the Triple, it looks like they might have a bit more sparkle thanks to the 6khz bump to -2db. 

I had the triples for a short time before I swapped em with the quads. The mid/high range of both are quite similar. The triples did have a *touch* more of an edge at the high end. I wouldnt say it was anything magical, just a tiny bit more bite. Midrange and staging felt similar, but as a direct comparison the quads are definitely less fatiguing. As everyone suggests they both scale up well with good gear and REALLY show up poor recordings but when you get a good one they are ethereal.
Bass time...
Triples - great low end. Quite dynamic and punchy. Satisfying. 
Quads - crikey. I am used to bass "polite" gear and the quad bass took a bit of getting used to but now I LOVE em. I am rediscovering my entire music collection. Its a bass prominent sound but its in its rightful place and doesnt just sound like some sort of MaxxBass EQ preset. Its a real treat.
Go quads.

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #2,768 of 7,417
Quote:
I had the triples for a short time before I swapped em with the quads. The mid/high range of both are quite similar. The triples did have a *touch* more of an edge at the high end. I wouldnt say it was anything magical, just a tiny bit more bite. Midrange and staging felt similar, but as a direct comparison the quads are definitely less fatiguing. As everyone suggests they both scale up well with good gear and REALLY show up poor recordings but when you get a good one they are ethereal.
Bass time...
Triples - great low end. Quite dynamic and punchy. Satisfying. 
Quads - crikey. I am used to bass "polite" gear and the quad bass took a bit of getting used to but now I LOVE em. I am rediscovering my entire music collection. Its a bass prominent sound but its in its rightful place and doesnt just sound like some sort of MaxxBass EQ preset. Its a real treat.
Go quads.

Sold.  And thank you.  :)

I'm in the process of looking up audiologists in my area right now for when I go home on R&R.  I might just email 1964 and see if they have someone they can recommend.

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #2,769 of 7,417
Here's something that sounds amazing: The quad driver iem and the iBasso PB2/DB2 combo! It gives them a HUGE soundstage and extremely crisp and clear presentation...I'm blown away by this :D

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #2,770 of 7,417
Hi, thanks for the quick response. I'm leaning more and more towards buying one, and I have heaps more questions, but will probably have to open a new thread to ask them.

To answer your questions, I'm extremely pleased with the quads. I had a refit issue over my right ear canal, but the 1964 service is great, and now I couldn't be happier with it. I listen to classical and trance, mostly, and prefer non-vocal pieces. The quads are great for genres with thumping bass lines, but this also sounds incredibly warm with strings and piano.

I noticed later on down the thread that you've made an appointment for impressions. A word of advice: make sure you have a bite block, or bring one along with you just in case. Two inches is a huge bite!

Cheers,

Quote:
Quote:

Ahhhh...I saw yours in their image gallery!  Very sleek design, my friend.

Honestly, I haven't spent that much time with the iTouch so far.  it's my first i-device, after spending years hating on apple.  SQ is pretty **** decent straight out of the device, but you probably already know that.  The apps are the whole reason I got it, and they're awesome. 

To answer your questions, you can edit and create playlists on the go, but it can be cumbersome.  Queuing can't be done out of the device by default, but there are plenty of apps that can accomplish it.  Actually, there are a lot of apps that offer music management and playback options; I haven't gotten to a point with it where I'm delving into playback options yet.  I don't know if you EQ, but if you do the stock EQ sucks.  That said, EQu is awesome and cheap.

If you haven't gotten to play with one in person for any length of time, but the screen is freaking amazing.  I thought image quality on my wife's Galaxy S was good, but it's seriously nothing compared to the Retina display.  When I first saw it, I was like "meh".  But after a few hours of using the device, I realized how crisp and clear and colorful everything is.

I got my 32gb off amazon for 235, which is the other reason I went ahead and got it.  Most android powered micro tabs/daps run as much or more than that.

Now, there are a couple of caveats.  It doesn't do FLAC playback by default; you have to jailbreak it and download one of the jailbreak apps to play it back directly--jail breaking is easy as hell, though.  Or, you can just convert all of your FLAC to AIFF.  Either way, it's something to keep in mind.  Also, iTunes sucks balls if you're used to the drag-and-drop folder management of the Sansa players.

What's your preferred music?  How do you like the Q?  or if you've already posted impressions/review in here, do you have a link to it?

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #2,772 of 7,417
Hi all, I'm having a little bit of a dilemma about my triples. They are super comfortable, but I only get a seal when my head is upright. As soon as I tilt my head to any side the seal comes loose and most of the (wonderful) bass is gone. What's your personal balance between comfort, movement and seal?

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #2,773 of 7,417

Quote:
Hi all, I'm having a little bit of a dilemma about my triples. They are super comfortable, but I only get a seal when my head is upright. As soon as I tilt my head to any side the seal comes loose and most of the (wonderful) bass is gone. What's your personal balance between comfort, movement and seal?

The left quad fits perfectly and will not budge no matter what. The right not so good the second time around and I really didnt want to return them again. As an experiment I got some "Leukofix" stretchy plastic surgical tape ( http://wound.smith-nephew.com/au/node.asp?NodeId=3702 ) cut it into thinner strips and wrapped it around the canal stem twice. Then I trimmed off the excess around the tip for comfort and now the fit is amazing. They stay in for 2 hours at a time (train trip, workout, walking) and I cant feel then and the seal doesnt break once. 
I have ordered some of this stuff on 1964's advice ( http://www.westone.com/catalog/comply-soft-wraps-0 ) but this tape is doing such a good job and holding fast so I might just leave it.

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #2,775 of 7,417

Quote:
The left quad fits perfectly and will not budge no matter what. The right not so good the second time around and I really didnt want to return them again. As an experiment I got some "Leukofix" stretchy plastic surgical tape ( http://wound.smith-nephew.com/au/node.asp?NodeId=3702 ) cut it into thinner strips and wrapped it around the canal stem twice. Then I trimmed off the excess around the tip for comfort and now the fit is amazing. They stay in for 2 hours at a time (train trip, workout, walking) and I cant feel then and the seal doesnt break once. 
I have ordered some of this stuff on 1964's advice ( http://www.westone.com/catalog/comply-soft-wraps-0 ) but this tape is doing such a good job and holding fast so I might just leave it.

You. You have perfect timing. I just got my Triples back from a refit and the right earpiece still isn't perfect. Can only get a seal if i push it downwards and into my ear. I'm going on hols soon, so I might quickly fiddle with a bit of that tape and see if I can get a seal. Thanks a bunch for those links.

In terms of sound quality, I'm in love. They're perfect. I've tried them on my Zune HD and I bought an Ipod classic last week (Regretting that already to be honest) and no matter what I plug them into they sound amazing. Amped and unamped. 

Kudos 1964, you're doing an amazing job making a product which i'm guessing is extremely hard to produce, at a reasonable price. If only there were more of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back