1964 Ears
Apr 28, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #2,251 of 7,417
Quote:
My process is no different than what I would do to insert, remove and wipe down any IEM I use so it's not a pain.  Vinyl or not I won't let wax fester on my tips , especially clear ones.

Yea but Oto Ease is still essential for the vinyl tips. So you need to have that with you all the time. With acrylic tips, you don't need to worry about anything. Just "plug and play."
Will Oto Ease leave any residue inside your ear or does it stick to the IEM? And how exactly do you apply it? I'd be worried about some of it getting in the tube and damaging the internals.

Regarding the shrinkage/drying out:
What if you weren't using it for let's say 3 month or so. Would you still need to take care of your IEMs and regularly put some oto ease on them?!
confused.gif

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #2,252 of 7,417
I switched my pending order for quads to the soft tips. They received everything on April 11th - delivery next week seems optimistic since I was still able to switch but I'll post with impressions when I receive them. 

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #2,253 of 7,417

Quote:
What about suction? I am asking because the thing I hate the most about IEMs is the suction it creates on my ear canals. I read from joker's review that custom eliminates this suction. So my expectations are high, but then I read about these soft tips which seems to be really nice, but then again, I am afraid about it. Does it cause any sense of suction compared to full acrylic customs?

The twisting action to unlock the custom alleviates suction and breaks the seal.

Quote:

I dont know that it is essential.  I don't think most others even use it.  Its actually more needed for silicone than vinyl.  Vinyl actually feels hard.  No idea about 3 months of being left out in the Sahara.  Lavender oil is benign as is everything in Oto Ease.  Audiologists even recommend a drop or two of oil in the canal on occasion.  As for use, that is pretty simple and straightforward common sense.  Oto Ease doesn't require a manual.  You should ask other ES5 owners if they even use it.  I just find it beneficial and convenient for my needs.  

Apr 28, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #2,254 of 7,417
They got my full order+impressions+payment on March 16th. Latest I called them on Tuesday and they promised my customs would ship either today or tomorrow (Friday). I'd say that's close to 30 business days now. Just a heads-up though, they might be going faster after this.

Quote:
I switched my pending order for quads to the soft tips. They received everything on April 11th - delivery next week seems optimistic since I was still able to switch but I'll post with impressions when I receive them. 

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #2,255 of 7,417

Quote:
I dont know that it is essential.  I don't think most others even use it.  Its actually more needed for silicone than vinyl.  Vinyl actually feels hard.  No idea about 3 months of being left out in the Sahara.  Lavender oil is benign as is everything in Oto Ease.  Audiologists even recommend a drop or two of oil in the canal on occasion.  As for use, that is pretty simple and straightforward common sense.  Oto Ease doesn't require a manual.  You should ask other ES5 owners if they even use it.  I just find it beneficial and convenient for my needs. 

I thought that I read it somewhere that it is essential. Or at least recommended.
But thanks for clarifying. Because if it were essential, that would've been a huge let down for me.
I do take care of my things though, just to prevent any misunderstandings.
wink.gif

Edit: Why do audiologists recommend to drop some oto ease in the canals every once in a while? What good would there be?
I'd be worried about damaging the drivers!
confused_face.gif

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #2,256 of 7,417

Quote:

I thought that I read it somewhere that it is essential. Or at least recommended.
But thanks for clarifying. Because if it were essential, that would've been a huge let down for me.
I do take care of my things though, just to prevent any misunderstandings.
wink.gif

Edit: Why do audiologists recommend to drop some oto ease in the canals every once in a while? What good would there be?
I'd be worried about damaging the drivers!
confused_face.gif

Oil, not necessarily Oto-Ease.

http://www.entnursing.com/earcareadvice.htm

You apply a thin film from a drop around the canal portion away from the opening.  You don't squirt the bottle into the holes.

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #2,258 of 7,417
So if I commute and walk around a lot, I should go for the soft tips?

May 2, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #2,260 of 7,417
I just got my impressions done at Fit Ear in Tokyo, and am looking at colours. I'm leaning towards a basic clear shell to be as discreet as possible, but am curious as to how solid-colored shells look in the ear. 

I'd like to invite everyone to post shots of their customs -- not well-lit sitting on a table, but in the ear. The look as it worn is more important than the look as posed, no?

May 2, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #2,262 of 7,417
small update regarding my quads: sent a email last friday or so asking for a remold and substituting the soft canals instead of the usual acrylic shell due to consistent fitment issues. anywho, i have yet to receive a reply to my inquiry and today, the right earphone has once again cutout. sound coming out, but only treble and midrange, second time this has occurred for me. I suspect the cross over is once again at fault here.) 

James

May 2, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #2,263 of 7,417

Quote:
Originally Posted by supadupa 

So if I commute and walk around a lot, I should go for the soft tips?

Originally Posted by project86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's something to consider, yes. 

Why does walking around affect sound -- in terms of bone conduction?

May 3, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #2,265 of 7,417
I know this is specific, but these are all I have to reference. Can anyone comment on the sound of the 1964-T with the sound of UM2s? I have UM2s that are my IEM for playing live music, but Im lookin at 1964s on the recommendation of some friends. I see that a lot of people are saying the Ts have a not so upfront high end. I find the UM2s to have a slightly muted high end with some woofyness and a hair of overexaggeration in the mid bass range.

I also own Ultrasone Pro 550s and absolutely love the sound of these flat or just a touch (maybe 3db) of added low end under 200hz.

Any thoughts on UM2 vs 1964-T?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back