1964 Ears
Apr 25, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #2,222 of 7,417
Is the soft canal option confirmed to be silicone or is it vinyl? That definitely was not an option when I ordered. I may have had added that option if it was.

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #2,224 of 7,417

Quote:
Is the soft canal option confirmed to be silicone or is it vinyl? That definitely was not an option when I ordered. I may have had added that option if it was.

I wrote in and this was the response:

Quote:
For the soft canals option we make the main body out of acrylic but for the canal tips we use a hybrid material that warms up in the ear and become flexible. The full silicon is we make the shell completely out of silicone.

Not sure if it's vinyl, but I assume if it was silicone they would have just said that. But maybe I'm wrong.

Still not sure of the difference in sound, though...

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #2,226 of 7,417
I just saw that they reduced their recessed sockets charge from $50 to $25. I paid earlier for $50 :frowning2:
Do you guys think it would be legit for me to ask for the soft canal option at $25 as opposed to $50 in compensation for the excess in recessed sockets I paid?

EDIT: typo on amount paid.

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #2,227 of 7,417

Quote:
I just saw that they reduced their recessed sockets charge from $50 to $25. I paid earlier for $50 :frowning2:
Do you guys think it would be legit for me to ask for the soft canal option at $25 as opposed to $50 in compensation for the excess in recessed sockets I paid?

EDIT: typo on amount paid.

I think that's completely fair.

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #2,228 of 7,417
I just called them a few minutes ago regarding the soft canal tips:

YES, the material they are using is the same "body-heat-activated-vinyl" material as what Westone uses, or at the least very similar.

I decided NOT to get the soft canals, though. Main reason was I chose a Clear Canal Tip to Royal Blue body with gradual color change as the color scheme. From talking with them, introducing the new material onto the shell would kind of reduce that gradient of a gradual color change, since it's not so feasible to have the color "bleed" through the two different materials as gradually.

Looks like the recessed sockets are a $50 for me then :frowning2:

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #2,229 of 7,417

Quote:
I just called them a few minutes ago regarding the soft canal tips:

YES, the material they are using is the same "body-heat-activated-vinyl" material as what Westone uses, or at the least very similar.

I decided NOT to get the soft canals, though. Main reason was I chose a Clear Canal Tip to Royal Blue body with gradual color change as the color scheme. From talking with them, introducing the new material onto the shell would kind of reduce that gradient of a gradual color change, since it's not so feasible to have the color "bleed" through the two different materials as gradually.

Looks like the recessed sockets are a $50 for me then :frowning2:

Here's the clear tips of my ES5.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #2,230 of 7,417
Thanks Nightslayer.  

Quote:
When ordering your pair, specify you would like a transparency akin to this ^ and give them this picture as a specific reference. It's what I did and it worked out pretty well, aside from the fact that they did not reproduce the colour exactly as I asked them to, they gave me a slightly darker colour.

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #2,231 of 7,417

Quote:
In what way?

I'm not the one to ask because I don't have silicone customs. However I am sure that silicone changes the sound - that seems logical to me. From what I have read silicone has different sound mainly because of isolation which means better details separation and so on.

Also Grzegorz from Spiral Ear said that drivers that weren't designed to work in silicone shouldn't be cast in it.
BTW I don't see how Quads with their vented bass driver could be shelled with silicone

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #2,232 of 7,417
Now, that soft vinyl tips are starting to intrigue me. Although, both my full acrylic customs are very comfortable to use now, especially the one from UM. Well done for 1964Ears. I'll wait for their next top-tier custom, I guess. I wonder how the sound of the Quads would compare with my SM3X6.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #2,233 of 7,417

Quote:
I'm not the one to ask because I don't have silicone customs. However I am sure that silicone changes the sound - that seems logical to me. From what I have read silicone has different sound mainly because of isolation which means better details separation and so on.

Also Grzegorz from Spiral Ear said that drivers that weren't designed to work in silicone shouldn't be cast in it.
BTW I don't see how Quads with their vented bass driver could be shelled with silicone

That makes logical sense to me as well.

I seem to remember at some point reading that they could not do the quads in silicone. I thought it was on their website somewhere, or maybe facebook, but I can't find it now. Maybe I imagined it. But the venting aspect fits in with that.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #2,235 of 7,417
I think it's hard to tell the difference unless someone has the same custom but made of different material such as acrylic, acrylic with vinyl tips and silicone. It would be nice if someone had that but unlikely to happen since not too many people have two of the same custom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back