1964 Ears
Apr 16, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #2,146 of 7,417
Have been using them for a while, perfectly satisfied with the sound I'm getting. A mini review will come after a bit more use. But a question about fit, if I can get a good fit/seal with my left ear after some time spent adjusting it but with a movement of my jaw to the left/turning of my head too far to the right it comes loose and takes ages to put back in properly for the good seal, would this be a problem requiring a refit or will a refit not be able to fix that?

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #2,147 of 7,417

Quote:
Have been using them for a while, perfectly satisfied with the sound I'm getting. A mini review will come after a bit more use. But a question about fit, if I can get a good fit/seal with my left ear after some time spent adjusting it but with a movement of my jaw to the left/turning of my head too far to the right it comes loose and takes ages to put back in properly for the good seal, would this be a problem requiring a refit or will a refit not be able to fix that?

yes, it sounds like a refit might be necessary.  If you are losing the seal when moving like that, it is probably too loose... But man, it is a tough science, because if it is too tight it brings discomfort, but it does seal better.  I am currently trying to decide if I want them to loosen them up a bit, but then I won't have the perfect seal I am getting, but they are a little uncomfortable in one ear.. and I am not looking forward to sending them back in, because I have waited so long for these... Well, good luck... you might need a refit... 

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #2,148 of 7,417
I think that everyone should wear them for at least 2 weeks before decisding on a refit. I mean, if they are a tiny bit loose, thats better than too tight, which causes severe pain after prolonged use. At first I was worried, but I'm happy with the fit now that I've gotten used to them. The only thing I hate about them, is that they suck to sleep in. They protrude out of the ears causing severe microphonics and discomfort if you move your head. Oh well, I can live with that. Also, the cab;e seems to be unraveling a little, I know others have mentioned that.

Apr 16, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #2,149 of 7,417
^+2

Really, you need to wear them for at least a week or two to get your ears used to them. IMO refits are needed if you're in pain or if you can't get a seal at all. Also remember you've got a hard acrylic shell in your soft cartilage ears. There are bound to be times when you move and it doesn't. Taking them in and out and getting the seal becomes easier with time.

Apr 16, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #2,150 of 7,417
My 1964-T are a bit tight depending on how far up the cable slider is. If it is loose and bothering you I would give them a call and get a refit.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #2,152 of 7,417
Thanks Chalky, 
Do these look normal? These are my first customs but is that big hole supposed to be there?? Sorry for the poor image quality.. this is the best I could get with my iphone. I tried my best to get the bores focused. Both IEMs look like this.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #2,153 of 7,417
There should be two holes, and one is bigger than the other my friend. I can't tell from the photo, but if that is what you're seeing it is correct. Happy listening.

Quote:
Thanks Chalky, 
Do these look normal? These are my first customs but is that big hole supposed to be there?? Sorry for the poor image quality.. this is the best I could get with my iphone. I tried my best to get the bores focused. Both IEMs look like this.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #2,154 of 7,417
the one connected to the high frequency driver should be trumpeted a little.  That is the one closest to the tip and also the smallest in size.  The smaller port should be connected to the mid and dual low driver

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #2,155 of 7,417
Well, my customs came back from the refit. They are slightly better. The right still feels slightly more tight than the left, but at least it is comfortable now. They were fast in doing the refit (5 days in total). The problem was DHL slapped me with GST (Goods and services tax of 7%) on the entire package even though it was clearly labelled warranty repair. Anyone knows what I could do?

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #2,156 of 7,417

Quote:
Well, my customs came back from the refit. They are slightly better. The right still feels slightly more tight than the left, but at least it is comfortable now. They were fast in doing the refit (5 days in total). The problem was DHL slapped me with GST (Goods and services tax of 7%) on the entire package even though it was clearly labelled warranty repair. Anyone knows what I could do?

Contact DHL or Singapore customs to look at claiming a refund? Your warranty repair should be tax-exempt, you should have told 1964 not to attach the invoice on top of the package I think. I've googled for you but could only find information pertaining to goods-producing businesses rather than individuals.

On a related note WRT fit, is it better to have a tight fit (that I can feel in my ears) that never breaks its seal or a loose one (which seals well and I cannot occasionally feel) which breaks seal easily? The former is my right side and the latter my left, I am beginning to think there is no perfect size.

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #2,158 of 7,417

Quote:
I think it depends. When you say "breaks seal easily" do you mean during a big smile or wide open mouth? Or easier than that? And more importantly, does the seal return when your face/mouth goes back to normal?

Wide open mouth no, but if my head inclines all the way back it shifts but regains seal after I go back upright. But when I smile widely the left side comes loose and requires adjustment to regain fit. The right side is tight and keeps its fit in every circumstance other than my head being inclined.

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #2,159 of 7,417
Thanks for the response eric, I am seeing the two holes that vary in size. However, if you look at Chocky's IEM, he doesn't have a huge hole to accommodate for the two other holes. I'm wondering if that's normal? Hopefully my explanation makes sense, I attached a couple more photos.

Quote:
There should be two holes, and one is bigger than the other my friend. I can't tell from the photo, but if that is what you're seeing it is correct. Happy listening.

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #2,160 of 7,417

Quote:
Wide open mouth no, but if my head inclines all the way back it shifts but regains seal after I go back upright. But when I smile widely the left side comes loose and requires adjustment to regain fit. The right side is tight and keeps its fit in every circumstance other than my head being inclined.

The only thing that I'd be concerned about is the situation where you smile big and break seal, and it does not restore on its own.

I break seal (barely) when I smile big. That's just a result of my particular face and the way it moves and interacts with my ears. Some people say breaking seal at any point is a bad thing, but I've come to accept that there is nothing I can do with customs where this doesn't happen. I've tried ultra wide open mouth impressions, and extra deep tips to the point where it was almost painful, and yet the seal still has a minor break with full smile. So I don't think that in and of itself is a problem. In my case, the seal always restores itself completely when I return to a normal face. If it didn't return, I think I would send it in to get a refit. Maybe they could add a thin layer to the tip area in order to make the seal slightly tighter.

Quote:
Thanks for the response eric, I am seeing the two holes that vary in size. However, if you look at Chocky's IEM, he doesn't have a huge hole to accommodate for the two other holes. I'm wondering if that's normal? Hopefully my explanation makes sense, I attached a couple more photos.

That's pretty normal. Sometimes you get the flush tip with 2 holes, and sometimes your get a larger cutout with the 2 chambers extending in from there. It just depends on the shape of your ears and how much room they have to work with. I am fairly positive that one is not better or worse than the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back