1964 Ears
Jan 25, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #976 of 7,417

Quote:
Vitaliy had replied my email and asked for the quads to be returned for remaking. Will put custom artwork on them this time 
biggrin.gif

so you're paying for the shipping?

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #977 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:
Vitaliy had replied my email and asked for the quads to be returned for remaking. Will put custom artwork on them this time 
biggrin.gif

so you're paying for the shipping?

That has always been the case for refits. I am just glad that the response is fast as usual.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #978 of 7,417
Yep. Very rarely do companies pay for shipping to them but usually they pick up the tab on the way back.

I'm really hoping I get an email from them soon :) I'd like to compare and see how it fares against my current set. Hopefully by Friday I get an email.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #979 of 7,417

Quote:
Yep. Very rarely do companies pay for shipping to them but usually they pick up the tab on the way back.

I'm really hoping I get an email from them soon :) I'd like to compare and see how it fares against my current set. Hopefully by Friday I get an email.

So you are waiting for your 1964-T to be shipped? It will be interesting to know how your new custom will compare against your LW-3.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #980 of 7,417
That is correct I order the 1964-T. The quads didn't sound like it was for me and the reviews on the 1964-T pretty much confirmed that as best as it can be done without actually hearing either.

I can't remember when I ordered so don't know when 5-10 business days is but I'm pretty sure 2 weeks has already passed but no big deal. I have gear that I enjoy without getting worked up about a later delivery than estimated. 

I was actually originally planning on having one of my customs pair up with the J3 and the other with the HM601 but I decided to sell the latter due to convenience. There's not as much a point when my transportable dac/amp sounds great although a different flavor than the HM601 and when I use the HM601 it is during my commute and I am asleep on the train at least 80% of the time.

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #982 of 7,417

Quote:
just wondering, has anyone placed an order for the -S or -D models? I want to know about the 1964D and how it would compare to the Klipsch custom3. 

I believe user Sil3nce has ordered the 1964D or plans on doing so shortly. I bet it sounds at least decent, judging from the FR graphs. I like the UE4pro and the original LiveWires, both dual driver models, and many folks like the JH5s, so the 1964D could be a great buy.

The 1964S is more of an unknown. I've never experienced a single driver custom so I'm not sure what to expect from that. Single BA driver universals can be surprisingly good, but usually more like "good for the price".

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #983 of 7,417
Yes they should be arriving this week hopefully.
And I have no doubt they will completely demolish the custom 3s. 
For the last time people don't seem to get they possess almost 90 percent of the sound signature of the triples.
only the single driver significantly lacks the extension of both ends vs the d and the t.
It's not like I can't pay the extra 75 dollars for the T.
I just simply don't think it's necessary.

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #984 of 7,417
Hi, I am looking into customs for the first time. I already have a short list but never heard of this company before. And now I find two enormous threads about them on head-fi. I was at first interested in the unique melody mage, which is around the seem price as the 1964 quad but i dont think the um has the sound for me. Pretty interested in reading reviews of the quad. Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #985 of 7,417
@Randius, just so you don't panic in the future. As each individuals ears are different from another individuals, and even left and right, the length of the bores, and the placement of the drivers can be different. Recessed sound tubes aren't a worry, as if you have small canals, then there tends to be a recession in one of the tubes. JH Audio for example does this to almost all their monitors to ensure all the tubes fit properly. So no worries in the future! But as for the aesthetics, definitely get that fixed if you're not happy with it. :)

@Anouk, I am hoping to get the Quads soon. Owning a pair of Mage, I will try my best to get my word to you and the to fellow head-fiers as soon as possible! Cheers!

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #986 of 7,417
As you move up the range in quality, the more you pay for small improvements. For example, the jump from single driver to dual driver is a relatively small price to pay. But the jump in quality (regarding that they are both tuned properly) is night and day. But as you move from dual driver to triple driver, and triple to quad and so forth, the price gap stays the same or even widens, but the amount of performance you gain gets smaller and smaller. Looking at how the T's are a two-way crossover means that the mid/low end drivers are in series to each other. Usually what this means is that the accuracy, speed, and detail is increased, the range at which the driver can cover is widened (greater extension as each driver can handle, and do a better job at their lows or highs if they are tweeters), and the power they give out it greater. As Sil3nce mentioned, the extension of the T should be greater from the low-end and the high end as the high driver doesn't have to cover as much of the mids compared to the D's. Lows should be tighter, and more clean, especially considering the low drivers in the D's and T's are 2015, which are monsters...

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #987 of 7,417
They're here!! Woo hoo! :)

Haven't heard them yet, just a few photos ..... - 

1. They included a pouch with my Quads although I didn't have one before
2. The new Triples come with a small bottle of OTO ease lubricant which might be helpful but I personally don't use it
3. Having both the old and new case, I prefer the new case just because there is more space to just "dump" everything in without having to worry too much about the positions and the cut outs in the old case didn't really fit anything. 
4. Slight design change to the case, but nothing much worth highlighting

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #988 of 7,417
@jermng: Your triple's serial is #1573? Mine is #1583 and I got it before you. Hmm...

I see that the triples are completely clear shell and faceplate this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back