1964 Ears
Dec 23, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #661 of 7,417
Do you own any after market cables @ rawrster buddy?? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
There was nothing in the post about those who do hear a difference about cables. He just stated his experience. As for the cables I think jermng is planning to have a bunch of after market cables so should be able to compare them whenever he gets them all.

I should be ordering my triples in a couple of weeks. I just have to get around to making an appointment for an audiologist but unfortunately I'm not sure when I can go for an appointment so hopefully sometime within the next 2-3 weeks or so.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #662 of 7,417
There is nothing wrong with stating your experience. If jermng gets some different aftermarket cables, I will read his reviews eagerly. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #663 of 7,417

Quote:
bigsmile_face.gif

Yes. I bought one not too long ago but it was a bit too short for me so I exchanged it with the seller for a longer one. I should get it middle to late next week.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #664 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:
bigsmile_face.gif

Yes. I bought one not too long ago but it was a bit too short for me so I exchanged it with the seller for a longer one. I should get it middle to late next week.

What brand, may I ask? How short was too short for you? 48" is fine for portable use for me, but 64" definitely has its advantages if you put down your player on a table or use the IEMs with a desktop amp or computer.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #665 of 7,417
There is no brand. It was made by someone who does DIY so he gave me a good deal to try out the cable. I asked for the clear/white sleeving but he didn't have that much so I wasn't aware that it would be shorter than the ES cable and by my guess it would be somewhere between 1 and 1.1m. I exchanged it for one that has black sleeving but will be 52" so that works for me. The cable is a 26 awg silver upocc cable so I'll find out for myself if I can hear a difference or not. I plan on doing a comparison around a month or so after I get it although I'm not sure about the burn in aspect of cables since I don't understand how it could change or settle but that's another discussion for another thread. I might end up getting a Moon Audio cable but more for comfort since the cable looks similar to the cable that is on the CK10 and if it is I may buy one.

@Eric, I think my answer above probably would surprise you considering you know my take on cables but I'm willing to give it a chance to see for myself.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #666 of 7,417
It is surprising, but hey, headfi.org is full of surprises @ rawrster...lol

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #667 of 7,417

Quote:

Yeah you never know.  Just imagine Eric getting customs before me, lol!  Oh wait......

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #668 of 7,417

Quote:

It was too hard to say no at those prices and I justify it as research. I get to find out for myself if after market cables change the sound for customs.

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #669 of 7,417
LOL @ Anaxilus..Yes, go figure!! Hurry and get the GR!0 so that I can hear it @ Anaxilus...lol

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah you never know.  Just imagine Eric getting customs before me, lol!  Oh wait......

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #670 of 7,417

Quote:
LOL @ Anaxilus..Yes, go figure!! Hurry and get the GR!0 so that I can hear it @ Anaxilus...lol

Unless it goes on sale for <$200 and blows my DBA02 out of the water not likely.

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #671 of 7,417

Quote:
There was nothing in the post about those who do hear a difference about cables. He just stated his experience. As for the cables I think jermng is planning to have a bunch of after market cables so should be able to compare them whenever he gets them all.

Agree here - I don't think he said anything about cable controversy. 

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with stating your experience. If jermng gets some different aftermarket cables, I will read his reviews eagerly. 

I might just give a few impressions but will probably not say much. The only reason I'm getting the cables is so that I can hear for myself what the differences are. Really not interested in all the cable debate & controversy, and elitism on both sides of the argument. 

For now, I just tried some "brand name" interconnects and didn't like them at all - I didn't even know it was the cables I didn't like - thought it was the new DAC. Read more here - 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529133/bought-a-dacmagic-prefer-ibasso-d12-dac-can-t-believe-it-money-wasted/15#post_7142452

I say this cos I definitely hear differences in some cables - whether or not I like them or not is a different story. Expensive does not always equate to better - audio is all about personal preferences. :)

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #672 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:

Agree here - I don't think he said anything about cable controversy. 

Quote:

I might just give a few impressions but will probably not say much. The only reason I'm getting the cables is so that I can hear for myself what the differences are. Really not interested in all the cable debate & controversy, and elitism on both sides of the argument. 

For now, I just tried some "brand name" interconnects and didn't like them at all - I didn't even know it was the cables I didn't like - thought it was the new DAC. Read more here - 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529133/bought-a-dacmagic-prefer-ibasso-d12-dac-can-t-believe-it-money-wasted/15#post_7142452

I say this cos I definitely hear differences in some cables - whether or not I like them or not is a different story. Expensive does not always equate to better - audio is all about personal preferences. :)

I agree but I do find more concensus as a chain gets better and matching sigs is less an issue. ygpm

Dec 24, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #673 of 7,417
1) The triple scales very well, and I assume the quad is similar. I use the triple with a Clip+ almost every day though and it is certainly enjoyable. The laid back nature makes them more forgiving than some other customs.

2) I doubt they will try competing with others by offering a 6 driver model just yet. They barely finalized the quads a month or two ago. More drivers means more overhead that they have to stock. They are a small company. You wouldn't want them to be in a position where they have to wait until the customer orders their customs in order to be able to afford to order the drivers (this has happened to me before..... not fun waiting 8 weeks for a custom).

I would probably not lump the UM Miracle into the same category as the JH16 and the quads. Miracle is more neutral in bass with extreme realism and extension, but is not really suited for basshead duty.

The scaling part is reassuring and also the forgiveness of lower sources because I wont travel with my M-Stage in general.

From what I read, the Miracle is probably out (I still remember how disappointed I was in the RE0 so I am not going to risk the "flat" FR thing again). So I guess its down to spending 500USD on the 1964Q or 1200 on the JH16. Since this is my first custom, the reasonable thing to do would probably be to simply get the 1964Q and see if I actually like the concept (I sure like my D2000 a lot more than any of my IEMs...). Also, when going for the 1964Q, I can nearly get a LCD-2 down the road for the money saved if I feel like I need to...

Quote:
So how many drivers do you need?

As many as there are required for good sound with deep bass :). I don't think more drivers make it any longer if that's what you are alluding to :)

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #675 of 7,417
Someone asked way earlier in this thread (or maybe in my pm, I forget) about how the 1964-Q sounds connected to a regular amp/pre-amp. Well, I just finally got a chance to listen to a few CDs through this manner. I listened with Onkyo Integra DX-C909 compact disc player going through the Onkyo Integra P-304 pre-amp. The quad was connected to a Radio Shack gold-plated headphone extension cable that I think might have had some impact on the sound (as I know it did when I hooked a TF10 IEM to this cable some time ago). 

At any rate, my quick impression listening to the CDs (Radiohead Best, alternative soul singer Janelle Monae and female bass jazz extraordinaire Esperanza Spalding) is that the quad still possesses the same details, but I have less of a soundstage as I do listening through my Fiio E9/E7 amp/DAC, or straight out of my DAPs. Instrument separation is still there and excellent, but the transparency was a little lacking and the bass was somewhat muddled a tad bit while listening with the quads through this source. Again, I'm wondering is that extension headphone cable had anything to do with this? When I get a chance, I will pull a chair up close to the units and plug directly into the pre-amp (and then cd player) without the headphone extension cable to see if there is any difference. I know that cd player is one of the best of I've heard with a very nice built-in DAC. It gives music a very warm vinyl-like sound quality. Just a little something to answer an old question and wet your appetites before the main review is done. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back