1964 Ears
Dec 20, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #646 of 7,417
I figured I'm chime in on this thread...

I just sent an e-mail to the customer service department at 1964 to ask their opinion of which model I should choose based on my headphone ownership history, taste in music and preferred sound signature.

Being the Holiday Season I don't anticipate an immediate reply but I will let you know the gist of their reply (or post the entire correspondence if they OK with that).

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #647 of 7,417
I already received a reply from 1964 Ears.  With their blessing I have attached our correspondence:

Good Afternoon,

I'm sure you're busy with orders (not to mention the Holiday Season), so please get back to me at your leisure.  I'm in the market for a pair of Customs and I've read good things about your headphones on Head-Fi.org (being in sales myself I figured you might find it helpful to know where your customers come from).

Here's my background, I've been an avid headphone listener and obsessive headphone purchaser ; )  for 3-years.  My headphone list is as follows (cut and pasted from my Head-Fi user profile)...

Currently Own:
► Phiaton PS 210 w/Sony Hybrid tips
► Sennheiser HD 600
► Sennheiser PX 100-II
► Ultimate Ears SuperFi 4 w/Sony Hybrid tips
► Ultrasone Pro 750 (black and grey version)

Sold:
► AKG K240 MKII
► AKG K450
► Audio Technica ATH-EM7
► Etymotic Research ER6i
► Future Sonics Atrio M8
► Koss KSC75
► MEElectronics M9-BK
► Sennheiser HD 25-SP II
► Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
► Sennheiser MXL 570
► Sennheiser PX 100
► Sony MDR-XB700
► Ultrasone Pro 650
► YUIN PK3

After owning all of the headphones above I've found that my preferred sound signature is a slight "V," a subtle recess in the mid range and slightly tweaked highs and lows.  If the headphones I'm using lack either the high or low sound signature I'm looking for they need to be able to scale well with EQ adjustment.  Siblance in the high range and roll-off (or lack of extension) in the low range really annoy me.

My source will primarily be a Rockboxed Sansa Fuze or Cowon J3 fed through a Headstage Arrow 12HE portable amp (only for bass boost if needed or impedance adjustment according to the amount of hiss present in the headphones).  My preferred music genres are: Soul, Funk, Jazz, Hip-Hop, Electronica (and a mix of Rock and Classical, but not often).

My questions are very simple:
1.  Would you recommend the Double or Triple Drivers for my musical taste?
2.  Out of curiosity, what is the impedance and sensitivity of which ever headphone you are recommending?

I hope my e-mail wasn't too long-winded.  I just wanted to get as much helpful information to you as possible to I can make an informed decision.

Regards,
Phil

Hello,
Thanks for giving us a background on what your musical tastes are. From
what you're describing we would recommend either the triple or the quad
driver IEM. The quad driver will have the best extension of the low end
with smooth highs. The triple has a mid bass boost (90Hz or so)  Specs for
both can be found on www.1964ears.com/products.html Follow the link "spec
sheet"

Regards,
Vitaliy Belo
vitaliy@1964ears.com

----------------------------------------------------

After also analyzing the spec sheet for each version I have determined that the Quads are likely my best option - if my budget allows.  Otherwise, I'll likely end up with the Triples.

Stay tuned...

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #648 of 7,417
I really would like to know which one would be close to the SM3's sound signature. I'll wait for eric to have the triples and do a comparison. Don't let go of those SM3s yet eric. :)

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #649 of 7,417
I have a few questions hopefully you guys can help me out I just backed out on a jh3a order because it was taking too long and too expensive and I got interested in these >_< !!!
1. Would it be safe to say jh13=triples and jh16=quad obviously they are different but in a general stand point as far as, as close to sound sigs as you can get ?

2.can a twag cable be used with these custom IEM's because I am considering getting a protector+twag v2 if they can??? if not  I guess I'm sticking with the arrow amp+dac cable XD.

I am basically considering buying the triple/quads+headstage arrow. or quad+protector+twag v2 balance cable what would you guys say is a better way to go.

1st option I get 2 custom IEM's *WEEE* a very good amp, which I have owned previously, to my preorder of the jh3a *GRR* and I loved it.
2nd option I get the flagship IEM and just dramatically improve the sound according to people that believe in cables/balance is the way to go in improving the sound of a any headphone/IEM.I've never tried changing out cables on headphone I've owned and so I would have to hear it to believe it lmao ?

I know for sure the first option allows me to mix and match my music a little more since they should have different sound sigs and I'll benefit from the arrow's cool feats. I guess I am answering my own questions a bit here but I guess I wanted some input from you guys since i respect everyone's opinion and always take them into consideration.

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #650 of 7,417
Two dumb questions

1. How does the quad sound straight out of a DAP (Clip+ in my case)? I understand it improves drastically with amping and I do have an M-Stage at home, but I travel a lot...
2. Does anyone know if they will come out with a 6 driver one in the near future?

Trying to decide between an 1964Q, an UM Miracle or potentially JH16 (although I would not mind saving a few bucks vs the JH16 :) ).

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #651 of 7,417
Doubt so in near future. Though 1964Ears do want to expand their product line but they want to focus on making sure the products they have available are the best they can be.

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #652 of 7,417

Quote:

Again, thanks for everyone who has provided additional impressions. It has been a great read. EricP, when is the review of the quads coming out?

Working on it now @ GeorgeGoodman. I hope to complete by sometime next week. There's some additional information and photos I need to gather.

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #654 of 7,417

Quote:
Eric, you doing anything later tonight?

Hello goodvibes, about to run some errands now. If I get done early perhaps we can meet up...

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #655 of 7,417

Quote:

Again, thanks for everyone who has provided additional impressions. It has been a great read. EricP, when is the review of the quads coming out?

Working on it now @ GeorgeGoodman. I hope to complete by sometime next week. There's some additional information and photos I need to gather.

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #656 of 7,417

Quote:
Two dumb questions

2. Does anyone know if they will come out with a 6 driver one in the near future?

Trying to decide between an 1964Q, an UM Miracle or potentially JH16 (although I would not mind saving a few bucks vs the JH16 :) ).

So how many drivers do you need?

Dec 23, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #657 of 7,417

Quote:
I have a few questions hopefully you guys can help me out I just backed out on a jh3a order because it was taking too long and too expensive and I got interested in these >_< !!!
1. Would it be safe to say jh13=triples and jh16=quad obviously they are different but in a general stand point as far as, as close to sound sigs as you can get ?

2.can a twag cable be used with these custom IEM's because I am considering getting a protector+twag v2 if they can??? if not  I guess I'm sticking with the arrow amp+dac cable XD.

I am basically considering buying the triple/quads+headstage arrow. or quad+protector+twag v2 balance cable what would you guys say is a better way to go.

1st option I get 2 custom IEM's *WEEE* a very good amp, which I have owned previously, to my preorder of the jh3a *GRR* and I loved it.
2nd option I get the flagship IEM and just dramatically improve the sound according to people that believe in cables/balance is the way to go in improving the sound of a any headphone/IEM.I've never tried changing out cables on headphone I've owned and so I would have to hear it to believe it lmao ?

I know for sure the first option allows me to mix and match my music a little more since they should have different sound sigs and I'll benefit from the arrow's cool feats. I guess I am answering my own questions a bit here but I guess I wanted some input from you guys since i respect everyone's opinion and always take them into consideration.

I believe you are correct in equating the 1964-T to the JH13 and the 1964-Q to the JH16. They should be similar yet different in that same way. I've got both 1964-T and JH13 and the bass presentation is almost the same, with the JH13 having the slight edge in sub bass extension. The JH house sound is somewhat more forward and aggressive than the 1964-T sound which is more relaxed. Both are great though.

I don't do custom cables personally. They all sound the same to me. That being said, as long as you get the standard (non recessed) socket with your 1964s they should accomodate the same cables as any JH or Westone would. That includes the Whiplash stuff. Recessed socket may or may not fit depending on the cable.

It might make the most sense to just pick up a single model from 1964 and see how you feel. If you get the quad and feel you want the triple for certain music, then go for it (or vice versa) but I'd only order one at a time. You might find that you are satisfied with just the one.

Quote:
Two dumb questions

1. How does the quad sound straight out of a DAP (Clip+ in my case)? I understand it improves drastically with amping and I do have an M-Stage at home, but I travel a lot...

1) The triple scales very well, and I assume the quad is similar. I use the triple with a Clip+ almost every day though and it is certainly enjoyable. The laid back nature makes them more forgiving than some other customs.

2) I doubt they will try competing with others by offering a 6 driver model just yet. They barely finalized the quads a month or two ago. More drivers means more overhead that they have to stock. They are a small company. You wouldn't want them to be in a position where they have to wait until the customer orders their customs in order to be able to afford to order the drivers (this has happened to me before..... not fun waiting 8 weeks for a custom).

I would probably not lump the UM Miracle into the same category as the JH16 and the quads. Miracle is more neutral in bass with extreme realism and extension, but is not really suited for basshead duty.

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #658 of 7,417
Good post above ^.

However, many honest head-fiers have said that TWag, ALO, and other aftermarket cables do make a difference in sound, with reports putting the difference somewhere between subtle and obvious. I can't believe that head-fiers like to be duped and that the boutique cable vendors are getting large amounts of money for nothing (good song, BTW). If you can't hear a difference in cables, fine. Don't spend your money on them. But don't denigrate those who do enjoy them and hear a difference. The cable debate bores me, and I think if you want the best sound quality you can get, just trying some cables can only help.

Others have said there definitely is a difference between balanced and unbalanced operation in their IEMs. I have seen people state that they hear a wider soundstage and better more impactful bass as well as other positive changes in the sound. The only option for a balanced portable amp used to be the Ray Samuels Protector which was only half balanced but still great. Now there are a few more options that include the fully balanced Ibasso Toucan and Ray Samuels' SR71B. Look out for the balanced amp module for the Hifiman HM-801 and the Ibasso PB2 second generation portable balanced amp. The PB2 should be out in a few months and will feature rollable opamps giving it flexibility. 

I would like to see someone try TWag, ALO cryo, Moon audio IEM cable, or any other aftermarket cable for the 1964 ears. In my eyes, it can't hurt. 

Of course, the above are just suggestions and I am sure people love their customs with the stock cable. However, this is head-fi, where we do things that may not make a lot of sense to most people to get better sound.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #659 of 7,417
There was nothing in the post about those who do hear a difference about cables. He just stated his experience. As for the cables I think jermng is planning to have a bunch of after market cables so should be able to compare them whenever he gets them all.

I should be ordering my triples in a couple of weeks. I just have to get around to making an appointment for an audiologist but unfortunately I'm not sure when I can go for an appointment so hopefully sometime within the next 2-3 weeks or so.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #660 of 7,417
Good post Project86. I'm now off to look into amp threads a bit more. I've got the HM602 and i'll see how the onboard amp goes before i get something but being how you and eric have both made note of how well they scale with an amp i might prepare myself for an upgrade. Is there a particular amp you found worked well with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back