1964 Ears
Dec 13, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #526 of 7,417
Hello James. Well my friend, we can respectfully disagree. All I'm concerned with is a head.fi member's genuine impressions of a product. Again, I don't believe there is any total objectivity in this forum, so why would I be concerned? Look at the Fisher products. Many of the main head.fi lovers of those products freely admit to getting the products free, and quite a few of them are highly respected for their opinions on those products. Should I assume since they were free that their impressions aren't totally honest? Rarely do people chastise those people and say, "Oh, you just like the DBA-02 because you received it at no cost." And to be honest, I respect some of those guys enough to believe they will say something is crap if they thought it was. I've seen them call items crap that they received for free. So, for me personally, I look for consistency James. Ultimately, it's up to me to try something myself if it peeks my interest. Now, if you're working the company, then that's something entirely different. But head.fi.org is not a website where I feel people's opinions about products must be and should be fully vetted. If this was a publication of some sort, I would probably feel differently about it, but it's not.

Quote:
Quote:
It's not uncommon that some of the people who write about new products either did not pay for their sets and got 'free' samples, or got heavily discounted items, and all in exchange for 'free marketing', ie reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's really none of anyone's business whether someone paid for their IEMs, got a discount or found them on the sidewalk - especially if that head-fi member is not representing the company or have some vested interest.

@Eric, I'm afraid here's one of the very rare occasions I have to disagree with you. I know from personal experience that it's virtually impossible to stay out of a certain conflict of interests, once you start being more than just an ordinary customer to a company or seller. I believe it's something of a "dirty little secret" on boards like these, that music_4321 is referring to. Don't get me wrong, it's nothing personal and no biggie, but from my point of view it would be ethical for reviewers to disclose under which terms they got their item. Just my 2c.

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #527 of 7,417
Okay, what does this have to do with liberals?? I do agree with you about the bashing of a company, but liberals? Come on! Let's get back to questions about the product. Has anyone else heard the quads other than me and jermng? Jermng, anymore thoughts on the 1964-Q since you've spent more time with them?

Quote:
I so love the fact that guys get on here and bash a company for a mistake....and say they deserve it, and othes shouldnt comment becasue they are advicates fro the company etc, etc.  Well im calling you donkeys out of the exact same thing.  Getting on here and bashing a compnay is no different then someone who tries to glorifie a compnay.  they love them and post it, you have a problem and post it....yet somehow they are worng and should stop..but you..oh no, not you...you are the providor of the truth.  your reasons for bashing a company shoudl never be questioned.  Good old liberals..the rules just dont apply to you!!!

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #528 of 7,417
Again, I'm still loving the 1964-Q. They have become my go to IEM. I'm even doing what I said I would do and wear them to the office. I will have to force myself to stop this practice, however, as it's quite dangerous and I can't hear anything but glorious music. For me, the tuning of the quads is so addictive, and I can honestly say it's my favorite IEM. Others can continue to be skeptics while I enjoy the satisfying sounds coming out of this custom. After I get a chance to ask the good people over at 1964 EARS more questions about the triples, I will probably order a pair of those too. I know it will be less bass extension, but I need to find out how much less. I'm also wondering if the mids and highs are tuned differently.

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #529 of 7,417
I for one look forward to forthcoming impressions of the 1964 quads vs. other main brand offerings, such as JH, Westone, and even the Earsonics EM3 Pro (I think I could certainly go here since I know and like the SM3 sound so much). I know I'm going to go for a custom at some point, but am still in the research mode. Since they're so dedicated to the one owner (by the very nature of being custom), I want to be sure I choose well and don't leave myself the opening to wonder what other brands offer. 

That said, from your descriptions eric, I am sure the quads would suit my taste quite well. More delving needed though.......

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #530 of 7,417
I agree cn11, customs is something one should definitely take their time before taking the plunge. I really got lucky with 1964 EARS (sometimes great risks garner great rewards). I wanted to venture into the customs realm, but I wanted to do it from the most economical standpoint. Still, I knew I could purchase these IEMs and not like them and just be stuck.

Luckily my gamble paid off. Although, I must add, the gamble was made easier by asking Vitaliy and other 1964 EARS staff tough questions, and them never waffling for an answer. They made me feel as if my satisfaction was more important to them than making the sale.

With all of that said, you and I generally like the same sound signatures @ cn11, so I personally think you would love the 1964-Q. Again, I understand about researching and taking your time. I too will probably venture into one of the JH customs in the foreseeable future. I doubt I will do the ES5 now as someone I know who has it and the quad says the bass is as impacting in the Westone as it is the 1964 EARS.  The quad really nails my favorite sound signature for me.

Quote:
I for one look forward to forthcoming impressions of the 1964 quads vs. other main brand offerings, such as JH, Westone, and even the Earsonics EM3 Pro (I think I could certainly go here since I know and like the SM3 sound so much). I know I'm going to go for a custom at some point, but am still in the research mode. Since they're so dedicated to the one owner (by the very nature of being custom), I want to be sure I choose well and don't leave myself the opening to wonder what other brands offer. 

That said, from your descriptions eric, I am sure the quads would suit my taste quite well. More delving needed though.......

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #535 of 7,417

Quote:
i thought it was him since he seemed the one overly defensive about the situation.

We've entered the realm of Mysticism now?

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #536 of 7,417
At rroseperry, this is what I'm talking about. But I just have haters who follow me everywhere and will try to start drama where there is none. So, to that statement above yours, let them think what they want. It's obvious that they don't know what they are talking about, and again, as far as I'm concerned it is none of that person's (or anyone else) business. Think what you want, and you're definitely not required to accept my opinions.

And with that said, I am still loving the 1964-Q.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
^ Wait, you can't be referring to ericp10 here. It's really clear that he paid for his quads.

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #538 of 7,417
That was my understanding on the ES5 as well... not as extended in the bass region as some of the other offerings. I think I'll stay away from them too. I'm leaning towards the JH16 or EM3 Pro if I don't go with the 1964 quads..... The quads are certainly a more value based introduction into customs, and now you are apparently seeing the benefits from that perfect matching up to your ear canal contours. 

Quote:
I agree cn11, customs is something one should definitely take their time before taking the plunge. I really got lucky with 1964 EARS (sometimes great risks garner great rewards). I wanted to venture into the customs realm, but I wanted to do it from the most economical standpoint. Still, I knew I could purchase these IEMs and not like them and just be stuck.

Luckily my gamble paid off. Although, I must add, the gamble was made easier by asking Vitaliy and other 1964 EARS staff tough questions, and them never waffling for an answer. They made me feel as if my satisfaction was more important to them than making the sale.

With all of that said, you and I generally like the same sound signatures @ cn11, so I personally think you would love the 1964-Q. Again, I understand about researching and taking your time. I too will probably venture into one of the JH customs in the foreseeable future. I doubt I will do the ES5 now as someone I know who has it and the quad says the bass is as impacting in the Westone as it is the 1964 EARS.  The quad really nails my favorite sound signature for me.

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #540 of 7,417

Quote:

That's basically the same reason I want to get into the 1964 customs but instead of the quads the triples. I don't think spending $1000 or so on customs is a good option for me or my wallet right now so something like this appeals to me much more. I've gotten positive feedback on their triples by some who own them and them seem to do quite well. I'm a bit iffy about the quads since I'd rather have something more neutral but I'm almost done with my research. Of course I probably am not as willing as you to make a gamble without there being any information on them and still making a purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back