1964 Ears
Jun 10, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #6,886 of 7,417
Did you get em ? :wink:

They're on the truck out for delivery now!  I went from constantly spamming F5 on the 1964 page to now constantly refreshing my tracking status to see when I get them.  So excited to play with these tonight.

Since I got Null Audio MKII cables to upgrade (first time ever upgrading cables or even swapping cables), it's going to be a fun experience of listening to the CIEMs against my existing IEMs, testing quality before/after swapping the cables...seeing how well they do coming through my desktop Dac/Amp...

I told my wife that tonight I'm not going to be a husband or a father for a few hours so I can play with all this :)

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #6,887 of 7,417
They're on the truck out for delivery now!  I went from constantly spamming F5 on the 1964 page to now constantly refreshing my tracking status to see when I get them.  So excited to play with these tonight.

Since I got Null Audio MKII cables to upgrade (first time ever upgrading cables or even swapping cables), it's going to be a fun experience of listening to the CIEMs against my existing IEMs, testing quality before/after swapping the cables...seeing how well they do coming through my desktop Dac/Amp...

I told my wife that tonight I'm not going to be a husband or a father for a few hours so I can play with all this :)

Those last couple of hrs when they're onboard the FedEx truck for delivery are torture, I know. I'm sure they'll sound pretty sweet through a decent cable like that & your desktop setup :wink: Haha. Another family loses a husband and father to the lure of CIEM's. Worse than illicit drugs :wink:)

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #6,888 of 7,417
Those last couple of hrs when they're onboard the FedEx truck for delivery are torture, I know. I'm sure they'll sound pretty sweet through a decent cable like that & your desktop setup :wink: Haha. Another family loses a husband and father to the lure of CIEM's. Worse than illicit drugs :wink:)

Seeing that you have the V3s and the V6S, what's your opinion between the two of them?  Everyone seems like they have nothing but great things to say about both, but you seem to be in a more unique position to get a read between them.

I shot Joker a note to see if he'd ever used the Qi's and he figured they'd sound fairly close to the V3s with a bit more bass quantity and subwoofer enhancement.

But seeing that even the V3s get glowing reviews makes me hopeful my ears are going to melt.

Jun 10, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #6,889 of 7,417

Seeing that you have the V3s and the V6S, what's your opinion between the two of them?  Everyone seems like they have nothing but great things to say about both, but you seem to be in a more unique position to get a read between them.

I shot Joker a note to see if he'd ever used the Qi's and he figured they'd sound fairly close to the V3s with a bit more bass quantity and subwoofer enhancement.

But seeing that even the V3s get glowing reviews makes me hopeful my ears are going to melt.

I thought about getting a V6 or V8, but inevitably I know I'd want the best.  So I'm getting the A12 as my first CIEM.  It will be my last until it breaks, then i'll get it repaired.  No interest in desktop setups or headphones.  ZX2 + A12 will be the end of the line for me.

Jun 10, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #6,890 of 7,417

I thought about getting a V6 or V8, but inevitably I know I'd want the best.  So I'm getting the A12 as my first CIEM.  It will be my last until it breaks, then i'll get it repaired.  No interest in desktop setups or headphones.  ZX2 + A12 will be the end of the line for me.

beginning and end of the line*

Jun 10, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #6,891 of 7,417
Man these look and sound great.  Fit is perfect (these go so much deeper than I ever thought they would).  Cable swap was easy-peasy, iPhone controls work flawlessly.

Will post more impressions w/pictures later, but shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #6,892 of 7,417
Alright, impressions time.  These are with the Null Audio MKII cables.  I was too excited to finally use them...I've had these in my position for over a month just waiting for my Qis.

Feel:  
As these are my first pair of CIEMs, I really didn't know what to expect when putting these in.  Admittedly I didn't really believe that they would isolate all that well compared to IEMs for some reason despite reading everything to the counter.  In my mind, a hard acrylic shell without any kind of foam or silicone to form a seal of some kind just wouldn't do.

...well holy **** was I wrong.  These things isolate like nothing I've ever felt before.  They fit my ears like a glove.  Once they're in...they're DEEP in there.

Reading about how CIEMs feel and FEELING how CIEMs feel are two totally different things

No discomfort at all for at least the 3-4 hours I've had with them so far.

Sound:
Lows:  Bass quality is great.  Sub-bass rumble is there when the song pushes it.  Bass speed is also great, able to keep up with fast pumping electronic/dance music.

Mids:  As someone who's been a happy camper in the V-Shaped department of sound signature, I've never really had a proper midrange to go with my colored bass and upper/highs.  I honestly don't have a great ear for mids, but everything sounds crystal clear.  The best I can say is that the detail is noticeably improved over what I'm used to.

Highs:  Super crisp and bright.  Again the enhanced clarity really shines here and things just sound great.

Compared to my previous daily driver in the B&W C5 Series 2, the bass is cleaner and more in control, but has a touch less "oomph".  Still makes your head bob with the bass, but doesn't crush your ears as hard as some of the other IEMs I've used.  The Qi's still bring it, though.  I've returned IEMs that couldn't reach the levels I like and these are probably right on the line.  Personal preference stuff, but a pure basshead may not like these as much as others with more impact.  The clarity, isolation, balance, control...everything else is just leagues above my other IEMs.

Super satisfied with these.  Was hoping the bass would hit a bit harder, but these will still easily work with my electro/dance style preferences.

Just a few hours in, but those are my initial impressions.  I'm loving just sitting back with my eyes closed and letting songs roll over me.

...in fact, let me go back to that.

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #6,893 of 7,417

I still love the V3's. They're great bang for your buck. Just a plain enjoyable/musical sound. Little bit rolled off the upper mids/top. But as you'd expect with the V6S/extra drivers/extra bore - better imaging, low end can really thump/bass is really well defined & nimble. A bit more top and bottom end compared to the V3's whilst retaining those really nice mids that seem to be present in all the V-range (from what others have said about the models I haven't heard at any rate). Are the V6S a considerable upgrade over the V3's ? Yes. And they should be.

Have your ears melted yet ? :wink:) Yours look great in dark blue translucent. Glad your fit is really good, that's always a little nagging doubt for some people (me included, both times) - 'Were my impressions spot on to give me great fit without requiring a refit ?' It's a relief when you put them in for the first time & the answer to that question is a yes. Nice little summary of your couple of hrs with the Qi's :wink:

Jun 12, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #6,894 of 7,417
  Alright, impressions time.  These are with the Null Audio MKII cables.  I was too excited to finally use them...I've had these in my position for over a month just waiting for my Qis.

Feel:  
As these are my first pair of CIEMs, I really didn't know what to expect when putting these in.  Admittedly I didn't really believe that they would isolate all that well compared to IEMs for some reason despite reading everything to the counter.  In my mind, a hard acrylic shell without any kind of foam or silicone to form a seal of some kind just wouldn't do.

...well holy **** was I wrong.  These things isolate like nothing I've ever felt before.  They fit my ears like a glove.  Once they're in...they're DEEP in there.

Reading about how CIEMs feel and FEELING how CIEMs feel are two totally different things

No discomfort at all for at least the 3-4 hours I've had with them so far.

Sound:
Lows:  Bass quality is great.  Sub-bass rumble is there when the song pushes it.  Bass speed is also great, able to keep up with fast pumping electronic/dance music.

Mids:  As someone who's been a happy camper in the V-Shaped department of sound signature, I've never really had a proper midrange to go with my colored bass and upper/highs.  I honestly don't have a great ear for mids, but everything sounds crystal clear.  The best I can say is that the detail is noticeably improved over what I'm used to.

Highs:  Super crisp and bright.  Again the enhanced clarity really shines here and things just sound great.

Compared to my previous daily driver in the B&W C5 Series 2, the bass is cleaner and more in control, but has a touch less "oomph".  Still makes your head bob with the bass, but doesn't crush your ears as hard as some of the other IEMs I've used.  The Qi's still bring it, though.  I've returned IEMs that couldn't reach the levels I like and these are probably right on the line.  Personal preference stuff, but a pure basshead may not like these as much as others with more impact.  The clarity, isolation, balance, control...everything else is just leagues above my other IEMs.

Super satisfied with these.  Was hoping the bass would hit a bit harder, but these will still easily work with my electro/dance style preferences.

Just a few hours in, but those are my initial impressions.  I'm loving just sitting back with my eyes closed and letting songs roll over me.

...in fact, let me go back to that.

Is that the 1964 ears mic cable or is that one that you bought separately?  is there any sonic difference between the mic cable and the regular cable? 

Jun 12, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #6,895 of 7,417

Is that the 1964 ears mic cable or is that one that you bought separately?  is there any sonic difference between the mic cable and the regular cable? 

The cable in the pictures are the Null Audio MKII cables I'd ordered separately.  I don't believe 1964 offers an option to have inline controls on the cable, which is something I need since I'm using these on my daily commute on the train and in the office.

Happy with the color matching on the braided section and the quality of the cable in general.  Swapping took a minute and the nylon section is nice a thick and flexible.  Connector feels quality.  

Honestly haven't done much sound comparison between the stock cable and the upgraded one.  I was too anxious to use the new cables that I swapped them on after a song or two on the stock.

Jun 12, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #6,896 of 7,417

The cable in the pictures are the Null Audio MKII cables I'd ordered separately.  I don't believe 1964 offers an option to have inline controls on the cable, which is something I need since I'm using these on my daily commute on the train and in the office.

Happy with the color matching on the braided section and the quality of the cable in general.  Swapping took a minute and the nylon section is nice a thick and flexible.  Connector feels quality.  

Honestly haven't done much sound comparison between the stock cable and the upgraded one.  I was too anxious to use the new cables that I swapped them on after a song or two on the stock.

I'm a big believer in differences in sq with certain upgrade cables...
Please don't hit me with sound science or blind folded tests, this is just what my ears and brain tell me and even when it's 100% placebo, I'm totally fine with that as long as it works for me
rolleyes.gif

On my V6 Stage (universal) I have tried stock, silver/copper (FAW), silver/gold (Toxic SW) and 8 braided copper so far. Imo the V6 Stage had the best synergy with the Rhapsodio Panther MKII 8 braid till now...

Sold it in a package deal with my RTi1 recently, but I miss it so much that I ordered it (with the 10BA Solar) again today
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #6,900 of 7,417
Mine's still impression accepted. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back