1964 Ears
May 18, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #6,841 of 7,417

I actually quite like the elongated part it looks cool. I don't know maybe I just like weird things. 

Hmm mea culpa, I noticed I said the wrong term for that part, it's the intertragical notch 
redface.gif

May 18, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #6,842 of 7,417
Congratulations! Enjoy!

You got quite an elongated crux of helix intertragus incisura ^^ gives your faceplate a nice tennis table paddle look to it.

I'm still in my contemplating/deciding phase sadly

Thanks for the info. Very keen observer, never cared for the shape previously. Maybe my ears are weird as I am. :smile: go get your pairs soon!

May 20, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #6,843 of 7,417
Ordered a set of Qi's and they finally have entered the "trimming impressions" phase!

Anyone know how long it generally takes once the process starts up? I'm hoping I'm only a few weeks out, but not holding my breath.

Also: How easy is it to replace the cable? I actually ordered a Null Audio MKII cable with inline controls that I'm going to use with them, just have never actually swapped cables before.

May 20, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #6,844 of 7,417
Ordered a set of Qi's and they finally have entered the "trimming impressions" phase!

Anyone know how long it generally takes once the process starts up? I'm hoping I'm only a few weeks out, but not holding my breath.

Also: How easy is it to replace the cable? I actually ordered a Null Audio MKII cable with inline controls that I'm going to use with them, just have never actually swapped cables before.

Depends on how much work they've got on at any given moment, if they get rush orders/refits which push you down the line. Pretty sure they still quote 4-6 weeks all up for 'standard' builds.

Cable swap is easy; remove existing cable by holding plastic casing around pins near where they plug into socket on earpiece, pull firmly until pins pop out. Plug pins on new cable into socket on correct earpiece (Red for right, blue for left). Done.

May 20, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #6,845 of 7,417
Anyone had one of their's just feel too big? I've had my V8's for almost 2 weeks now and I love the sound of them but my left ear just seems too big. My right one just slips right in and disappears. I don't notice it at all being in my ear. My left side though just feels too big and too tight. Like I always feel the pressure of it against my ear. It's impossible to lay down on a pillow on that side where as the other one is as comfortable as if there wasn't anything there.

I've worn them for probably 20+ hours so far hoping I would get used to it but I never did on the left ear. It always feels too big. I get a good seal on both sides but after an hour or so the left side just starts to feel uncomfortable, especially compared to the comfort of the right side. 

Anyone else have issues like this? I'm having a hard time articulating what the problem is other than "too big and tight".

May 20, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #6,846 of 7,417
Anyone had one of their's just feel too big? I've had my V8's for almost 2 weeks now and I love the sound of them but my left ear just seems too big. My right one just slips right in and disappears. I don't notice it at all being in my ear. My left side though just feels too big and too tight. Like I always feel the pressure of it against my ear. It's impossible to lay down on a pillow on that side where as the other one is as comfortable as if there wasn't anything there.

I've worn them for probably 20+ hours so far hoping I would get used to it but I never did on the left ear. It always feels too big. I get a good seal on both sides but after an hour or so the left side just starts to feel uncomfortable, especially compared to the comfort of the right side. 

Anyone else have issues like this? I'm having a hard time articulating what the problem is other than "too big and tight".

If you've got any doubts whatsoever about fit, get it sorted now before your 30 days run out & it ends up costing you money. You will have to be really specific about exactly what's wrong with the left earpiece though in order for them to sort it I.E where exactly on the outside of your ear is the discomfort, etc.

Maybe the left mold wasn't quite 100% & there's 'too much earpiece' (I.E too much acrylic) & it's pressing against wherever you're getting the discomfort ?

May 20, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #6,847 of 7,417
If you've got any doubts whatsoever about fit, get it sorted now before your 30 days run out & it ends up costing you money. You will have to be really specific about exactly what's wrong with the left earpiece though in order for them to sort it I.E where exactly on the outside of your ear is the discomfort, etc.

Maybe the left mold wasn't quite 100% & there's 'too much earpiece' (I.E too much acrylic) & it's pressing against wherever you're getting the discomfort ?

Thanks, I emailed them about it today. I'm not really sure where exactly the issue lies. It just feels too big when I put it in my ear. Like the whole thing is too big but I'm stuffing it in there anyway (a little overdramatic, it's not THAT bad). Maybe I'll try spending a few hours in a row with it in to see if that the discomfort is more pronounced in 1 area. Not sure how to be more descriptive of the issue though. 

May 25, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #6,848 of 7,417
Just bought the V6S having bought V3's 2 yrs ago, have had zero problems with their service (though I'm not the sort of person who cries when I don't get a reply to an email in 24 hrs like some on here), found it to be exemplary on both occasions, including the rush processing I partook of this time around - they even managed to get them done in 5 business days. Their products (the V series at any rate, no idea about the Adels) are also pretty good bang for your buck (even though exchange rate slaughtered me this time around; hardly 1964's fault).

MistahBungle, Would you mind sharing a comparison between your V3 and V6S? I'm curious about the differences and similarities. 

May 25, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #6,849 of 7,417
MistahBungle, Would you mind sharing a comparison between your V3 and V6S? I'm curious about the differences and similarities. 

Paul, yep I can absolutely do that mate :wink: (as well as a non-audiophile like me can, at any rate :p)

V3's - Emphasis on mids, reasonable low end given they only have a single driver each for high/mid/low. A really fun/musical sound. A little bit of rolloff in the upper mids & a little bit more rolloff in highs/treble, not 'sparkly' or sibiliant to my ears at all. Fair soundstage & imaging given only two bores/3 drivers. Was really happy with these though I would have sprung the extra for the V6 at the time if I'd had the cash. Have probably used them 1000 hrs + over the past two years. Sounds pretty good out of a bunch of sources - I used various phones (Galaxy S2/S4 - briefly; hate music out of phones), a Cowon X9, AK00 MkII, various laptops.

V6S - I can't begin to imagine what the low end on the V8's is like having not heard them/having only read descriptions, but these have low end to burn and some. Electronic/anything with beats or anything with drums prominent in the mix really has a very solid kick to it. Bass is fast, controlled, no bleed, and when bass is prominent in the mix & track has been mixed/recorded well, it sounds like you're listening to a bass guitar rather than a 'facsimile'. More pronounced sub bass/bass than the V3's with also an emphasis on mids - guitars sound glorious with these where they're well recorded/mixed. A bit more top end/treble/highs than the V3's to my ears/with what I listen to; cymbals have that 'crisp/realistic' sound to them where recorded well Vs some harsh nondescript 'smash' (Clarification - Not that the V3's sound ****ty with cymbals, they sound fine, just not as detailed/imaged as well). Considerably better imaging/soundstage/detail across the board as you'd expect with triple bore & an extra driver for high/mid/low. Obviously these will be more revealing of anything not up to scratch source-wise (poorly recorded, low bitrate, etc) than the V3's. I only use the AK100 MkII these days & haven't bothered listening through any of my phones/other sources, but I'm sure they sound just fine through sources like that given they're easy to drive like pretty much every other IEM.

I think Ivabign & EricR said it best in this thread a few months back re: the V6S when they both mentioned 'coherency'; that is all 6 drivers sound like they're working in unison. Having owned the V6S for a bit over a month now, I'd agree with that.

I have two portable amps I've used with the AK100 MkII over the past 15 months or so; JDS C5 & Fiio E12 DIY. With the V3's, the C5 is my preference. I just plain love the sound of the matchup. With the V6S though, opposite. I find the sound just a little on the warm side through the C5 and much prefer the E12 DIY w/OPA1611 (opamp) & LME49600 (buffer) which are both supplied with the E12 DIY, just sounds more 'balanced' to my ears.

Hope this helps, any questions shoot :wink:

May 25, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #6,850 of 7,417
[size=15.8697052001953px]Quote:[/size]
Paul, yep I can absolutely do that mate :wink: (as well as a non-audiophile like me can, at any rate :p)

V3's - Emphasis on mids, reasonable low end given they only have a single driver each for high/mid/low. A really fun/musical sound. A little bit of rolloff in the upper mids & a little bit more rolloff in highs/treble, not 'sparkly' or sibiliant to my ears at all. Fair soundstage & imaging given only two bores/3 drivers. Was really happy with these though I would have sprung the extra for the V6 at the time if I'd had the cash. Have probably used them 1000 hrs + over the past two years. Sounds pretty good out of a bunch of sources - I used various phones (Galaxy S2/S4 - briefly; hate music out of phones), a Cowon X9, AK00 MkII, various laptops.

V6S - I can't begin to imagine what the low end on the V8's is like having not heard them/having only read descriptions, but these have low end to burn and some. Electronic/anything with beats or anything with drums prominent in the mix really has a very solid kick to it. Bass is fast, controlled, no bleed, and when bass is prominent in the mix & track has been mixed/recorded well, it sounds like you're listening to a bass guitar rather than a 'facsimile'. More pronounced sub bass/bass than the V3's with also an emphasis on mids - guitars sound glorious with these where they're well recorded/mixed. A bit more top end/treble/highs than the V3's to my ears/with what I listen to; cymbals have that 'crisp/realistic' sound to where recorded well Vs some harsh nondescript 'smash' (Clarification - Not that the V3's sound ****ty with cymbals, they sound fine, just not as detailed/imaged as well). Considerably better imaging/soundstage/detail across the board as you'd expect with triple bore & an extra driver for high/mid/low. Obviously these will be more revealing of anything not up to scratch source-wise (poorly recorded, low bitrate, etc) than the V3's. I only use the AK100 MkII these days & haven't bothered listening through any of my phones/other sources, but I'm sure they sound just fine through sources like that given they're easy to drive like pretty much every other IEM.

I think Ivabign & EricR said it best in this thread a few months back re: the V6S when they both mentioned 'coherency'; that is all 6 drivers sound like they're working in unison. Having owned the V6S for a bit over a month now, I'd agree with that.

I have two portable amps I've used with the AK100 MkII over the past 15 months or so; Thank you. & Fiio E12 DIY. With the V3's, the C5 is my preference. I just plain love the sound of the matchup. With the V6S though, opposite. I find the sound just a little on the warm side through the C5 and much prefer the E12 DIY w/OPA1611 (opamp) & LME49600 (buffer) which are both supplied with the E12 DIY, just sounds more 'balanced' to my ears.

MistahBungle - Thanks! This is extremely insightful and is personally very helpful as I narrow down which model to dive into as my first ciem. Reading the numerous posts and questions on these boards I have no doubt your comparison will also be helpful to others. This community is incredible. :grinning:

FWIW I'm coming from a pair of se425's. I've enjoyed them for the past year however the upgrade bug has bitten and I've found several good justifications to dive into customs. Mainly the fact that the Shure's are uncomfortable for extended listening (over an hour), at least with the foam tips i like best. They are also a little too mid-centric for my tastes.  I'm confident that any of my shortlist contenders (V3, Qi or V6S) will be a huge upgrade.

May 26, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #6,851 of 7,417
Hey guys,

I am looking into possibly purchasing a AK240, and was wondering if anyone has paired it with their V8s. 

How does it compare to other DAPs and do they suit well (being that the AK240 is a neutral / mid centric DAP)?

What are your impressions of this setup?

May 26, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #6,852 of 7,417
[COLOR=6A6A6A]MistahBungle - Thanks! This is extremely insightful and is personally very helpful as I narrow down which model to dive into as my first ciem. Reading the numerous posts and questions on these boards I have no doubt your comparison will also be helpful to others. This community is incredible. :grinning:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=6A6A6A]FWIW I'm coming from a pair of se425's. I've enjoyed them for the past year however the upgrade bug has bitten and I've found several good justifications to dive into customs. Mainly the fact that the Shure's are uncomfortable for extended listening (over an hour), at least with the foam tips i like best. They are also a little too mid-centric for my tastes.  I'm confident that any of my shortlist contenders (V3, Qi or V6S) will be a huge upgrade.[/COLOR]

Anytime :wink:

I'm sure you'll enjoy any of those three. Just a matter of wallet & which sound sig you prefer. Yep I hear you with universals, whilst I didn't mind foamies so much, fit was invariably fiddly, drivers would fail, non-replaceable cables would die & you just end up throwing them away. So you either get really good universals (and still have to fork out for foamies on top), or you get customs for not dissimilar price (the V3's at any rate). And as long as your impressions are good, customs fit like the proverbial glove.

May 26, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #6,853 of 7,417
Hey guys,

I am looking into possibly purchasing a AK240, and was wondering if anyone has paired it with their V8s. 

How does it compare to other DAPs and do they suit well (being that the AK240 is a neutral / mid centric DAP)?

What are your impressions of this setup?

Sorry sold my 240 so can't give you an accurate assessment, but most if not all IEMs does well with 240 even the V8 when I tried them. But I'm not a fan of V8 signature, so best you try them yourself with 240 pairing. If you want to save some $$$ the ZX2 performs almost/as well as the 240 at a much cheaper price. (As long as you don't plan to use full sized cans)

May 28, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #6,854 of 7,417

[size=15.8697052001953px]Quote:[/size]

V6S - I can't begin to imagine what the low end on the V8's is like having not heard them/having only read descriptions, but these have low end to burn and some. Electronic/anything with beats or anything with drums prominent in the mix really has a very solid kick to it. Bass is fast, controlled, no bleed, and when bass is prominent in the mix & track has been mixed/recorded well, it sounds like you're listening to a bass guitar rather than a 'facsimile'. More pronounced sub bass/bass than the V3's with also an emphasis on mids - guitars sound glorious with these where they're well recorded/mixed. A bit more top end/treble/highs than the V3's to my ears/with what I listen to; cymbals have that 'crisp/realistic' sound to where recorded well Vs some harsh nondescript 'smash' (Clarification - Not that the V3's sound ****ty with cymbals, they sound fine, just not as detailed/imaged as well). Considerably better imaging/soundstage/detail across the board as you'd expect with triple bore & an extra driver for high/mid/low. Obviously these will be more revealing of anything not up to scratch source-wise (poorly recorded, low bitrate, etc) than the V3's. I only use the AK100 MkII these days & haven't bothered listening through any of my phones/other sources, but I'm sure they sound just fine through sources like that given they're easy to drive like pretty much every other IEM.

I have two portable amps I've used with the AK100 MkII over the past 15 months or so; Thank you. & Fiio E12 DIY. With the V3's, the C5 is my preference. I just plain love the sound of the matchup. With the V6S though, opposite. I find the sound just a little on the warm side through the C5 and much prefer the E12 DIY w/OPA1611 (opamp) & LME49600 (buffer) which are both supplied with the E12 DIY, just sounds more 'balanced' to my ears.

MistahBungle - Thanks! This is extremely insightful and is personally very helpful as I narrow down which model to dive into as my first ciem. Reading the numerous posts and questions on these boards I have no doubt your comparison will also be helpful to others. This community is incredible. :grinning:

FWIW I'm coming from a pair of se425's. I've enjoyed them for the past year however the upgrade bug has bitten and I've found several good justifications to dive into customs. Mainly the fact that the Shure's are uncomfortable for extended listening (over an hour), at least with the foam tips i like best. They are also a little too mid-centric for my tastes.  I'm confident that any of my shortlist contenders (V3, Qi or V6S) will be a huge upgrade.

That really helps me as well! After looking at several other brands, I'm sold on 1964 Ears, and had decided the V3's were for me. Now......I'm wondering if the couple hundred more to go up to the V6S makes more sense. Your description of what you experienced has really helped. Thanks!!!

May 28, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #6,855 of 7,417
That really helps me as well! After looking at several other brands, I'm sold on 1964 Ears, and had decided the V3's were for me. Now......I'm wondering if the couple hundred more to go up to the V6S makes more sense. Your description of what you experienced has really helped. Thanks!!!

No worries AV :wink:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back