1964 Ears
Sep 17, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #5,311 of 7,417
Hey All 

Judging by John G's review of the V3 I really like the sound as I want an iem which gives me what my hd650 does but with touch more sparkle to mids and highs. 
Going by this desire do you think V3 or V6? I will get a chance to demo them but for now Im just interested in your thoughts. I'll be upgrading from er4s which ive found at 100ohms struggle to be driven by my apex glacier. Even with a chord Hugo I was disappointed. So looking forward to joining the sensitive ciem club at some point in the future. Also, the dac on my apex glacier is fairly capable but could suit a less revealing iem...so again, v3 takes my interest for now more than v6...but thoughts/advice are welcome!! thanks 

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #5,312 of 7,417
  Both DX90 and X5 are very good, but I have not tried them with v6 (I am also waiting like you =D). I found the high to be smoother on the DX90, but the low is tighter on the X5. It depends whether you like bass or not. If not, I think DX90 is a good match to smooth out the high of the V6. I hope this helps because I tried them with XBA3 to get a sense of how both players reacting to BA.

There are only slight difference with both, but I prefer using DX90 on BA(s) because it is not hard to get tight bass out of a BA. Having said that, I purchased the X5 because soundstage was important to me and the amp on the X5 is slightly better to drive my other dynamic monitors. The lineout on the X5 is so much better than DX90. I went for X5 in terms of features, but DX90 should be a better sounding player for just the V6.

CIEM on X1 maybe a waste because you will lose some details. Besides, X1 is not ultra portable which I can take for exercise. X3 will be a better choice if you are on a budget.

I will update you once I get my v6 in 2 weeks ^^ so excited 
L3000.gif
 assembled step 6

Would you say the X5 has a wider soundstage?

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #5,313 of 7,417
Hey All 

Judging by John G's review of the V3 I really like the sound as I want an iem which gives me what my hd650 does but with touch more sparkle to mids and highs. 
Going by this desire do you think V3 or V6? I will get a chance to demo them but for now Im just interested in your thoughts. I'll be upgrading from er4s which ive found at 100ohms struggle to be driven by my apex glacier. Even with a chord Hugo I was disappointed. So looking forward to joining the sensitive ciem club at some point in the future. Also, the dac on my apex glacier is fairly capable but could suit a less revealing iem...so again, v3 takes my interest for now more than v6...but thoughts/advice are welcome!! thanks 

I bought the V3's last year because that was my budget, and I'm not in the slightest bit disappointed with them. They're marvellous & I use them daily :wink: However, if I could have sprung for the V6's at the time I would have. So, I figure if you can manage the V6's cost-wise, get them. You're going to be auditioning the universal versions (I didn't), so you might decide you prefer V3's regardless though.

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #5,315 of 7,417
  Would you say the X5 has a wider soundstage?

I would not say X5 has a wider soundstage. DX90 is more airy and hall/stadium like soundstage. This airy sound may create an illusion that you are being surrounded by sound. The drawback is that vocal maybe widespread. This is why I chose v6 instead of v6-stages. The soundstage on the X5 seemed more accurate and with better layering while DX90 was more virtual and airy. On the contrary, I would say DX90 is actually wider when I was first comparing them. I do not like how DX90 made my tracks sounded like concert instead of the original recording.

I am on step 7 now, probably I will have V6 in a week.

Btw, my friend has a dx90 and he said it is actually more suitable for hybrids, like the XBA-H3, UM Merlin,or ASG 2.5, than full B.A. He said dx90 does not have the thick bass of the X5 (although it is still tight), so the dynamic driver on hybrids will help provide that thick bass.

X5 is more suitable for full BA like the V6 because X5 has better vocal, thicker and warmer bass which will help alleviate the trouble frequencies (after 100hz to 800hz) of the V6. (He said BA tends to be cold with human vocals and is harder to produce a thicker bass).

I guess the rolled-off treble from my XBA-3 made me think that DX90 would be a better match. But, V6 does not lack treble from the official site.

So, I am twice as happy that I got the X5 
ksc75smile.gif
atsmile.gif
, just can't wait to write a review when I get my V6 
tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #5,317 of 7,417
I bought the V3's last year because that was my budget, and I'm not in the slightest bit disappointed with them. They're marvellous & I use them daily :wink: However, if I could have sprung for the V6's at the time I would have. So, I figure if you can manage the V6's cost-wise, get them. You're going to be auditioning the universal versions (I didn't), so you might decide you prefer V3's regardless though.

How would you sonically compare the v3s to Senn hd650s? in terms of bass and how that relates to detail. 
obviously sound stage comparisons are welcome though I understand hard. Thanks! 

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #5,318 of 7,417
I would not say X5 has a wider soundstage. DX90 is more airy and hall/stadium like soundstage. This airy sound may create an illusion that you are being surrounded by sound. The drawback is that vocal maybe widespread. This is why I chose v6 instead of v6-stages. The soundstage on the X5 seemed more accurate and with better layering while DX90 was more virtual and airy. On the contrary, I would say DX90 is actually wider when I was first comparing them. I do not like how DX90 made my tracks sounded like concert instead of the original recording.

I am on step 7 now, probably I will have V6 in a week.

Btw, my friend has a dx90 and he said it is actually more suitable for hybrids, like the XBA-H3, UM Merlin,or ASG 2.5, than full B.A. He said dx90 does not have the thick bass of the X5 (although it is still tight), so the dynamic driver on hybrids will help provide that thick bass.

X5 is more suitable for full BA like the V6 because X5 has better vocal, thicker and warmer bass which will help alleviate the trouble frequencies (after 100hz to 800hz) of the V6. (He said BA tends to be cold with human vocals and is harder to produce a thicker bass).

I guess the rolled-off treble from my XBA-3 made me think that DX90 would be a better match. But, V6 does not lack treble from the official site.

So, I am twice as happy that I got the X5 
ksc75smile.gif
atsmile.gif
, just can't wait to write a review when I get my V6 
tongue.gif

You've been a lot of help. Looks like I'll be getting the X5 as well :D

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #5,320 of 7,417

How would you sonically compare the v3s to Senn hd650s? in terms of bass and how that relates to detail. 
obviously sound stage comparisons are welcome though I understand hard. Thanks! 

I haven't heard the HD650s but I have the HD600s which have the (subjective) reputation of being a bit more neutral (less dark) than the 650s.  So based on that, I can tell you that the V3s have a pretty similar sound signature to the HD600s...with just a touch of extra bass emphasis.  With that in mind along with all the hearsay I've read on here, the V3s should sound like HD650s with a little better detail.  

And in terms of headstage, I think the V3s are pretty amazing for CIEMs (and in-ears in general).  They do an excellent job of separating things and they have never sounded congested or closed-in.  They won't give you the open headstage of something like the HD600 but you can't expect that from something that you shove into your ear canal. 

Just in general, I would like to say that I am amazed at how good my V3s sound EVERY SINGLE TIME I put them in.  I'm VERY glad I decided to go the CIEM route and 1964Ears makes an excellent product. 

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #5,321 of 7,417
I've been demoing various portable headphones and haven't really find anything that I've enjoyed, so I'm really considering getting customs again. I'm currently looking at the v-6 stage and the qis. Would the v-6s be a considerable upgrade over the qis? I definitely prefer a slightly bassier sound sig, and I've heard both have excellent bass.

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #5,322 of 7,417
  I've been demoing various portable headphones and haven't really find anything that I've enjoyed, so I'm really considering getting customs again. I'm currently looking at the v-6 stage and the qis. Would the v-6s be a considerable upgrade over the qis? I definitely prefer a slightly bassier sound sig, and I've heard both have excellent bass.

From what I've heard, the Qi is going to be heavier on the bass, while the v6S is equal to the v6 but with a heavier emphasis on the bass, but a more neutral signature overall than compared to the Qi. Someone feel free to correct me and help out jwusoccer if I'm incorrect. 

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #5,323 of 7,417

From what I've heard, the Qi is going to be heavier on the bass, while the v6S is equal to the v6 but with a heavier emphasis on the bass, but a more neutral signature overall than compared to the Qi. Someone feel free to correct me and help out jwusoccer if I'm incorrect. 

The V6-S would not be a considerably upgrade over the Q. I have demo their universal(s) once in a store in HK. Don't get me started on shopping in HK
etysmile.gif

I would recommend the Q for you if you are aiming for the "slightly bassier" sig. The high sensitivity of the Q will give you a "dynamic like" sound signature without sacrificing too much details.

All V6, V6-S, and the Q will not lack bass, they just have different highlights.

V6 is for audiophiles who enjoy the most transparent timbre, deepest tight bass, and flat reference response curve.
V6-S is for stage vocalist who can image their vocal with an airy soundstage
Q is also for balanced stereophiles who want the best of both world(s) for people who wants the bass quantity of a dynamic and the seal and details of a BA. (Please note: bass quality can never achieve a dynamic with an ambient port from even the best universals, like IE800, FX850, because bass is largely dependent on moving the air around your ears)

V6-S - lower treble spike may create a sibilance, and bass impact may not be as good as V6. Unless you're a vocalist or an open soundstage enthusiast; otherwise, go for another model. (e.g. V3 is more balanced to me)

Q is really really good for a custom for best of both worlds. I believe the reason to get a custom is really the fit and seal.

There are other "best of both worlds" IEMs, such as those hybrids like UM Merlin, ASG 2, but an ambient port is used which will leak sound or the crossover chip is not built correctly to bend the different types of drivers together. For hybrids, I will trust the Germans/Austrians for their IQ/K3003, but it is not a CIEM 
frown.gif
 and it is crazy expensive
eek.gif
 for how ugly they are.

Sep 19, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #5,324 of 7,417
Thanks for the replies. Guess I'm going with the qis. I was already hesitant about shelling out the extra 150 for the v6 stage. If they have less bass impact than the v6 I don't think I'd enjoy them.

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #5,325 of 7,417
@rawrster / @bobby12 - I got my impressions for 25 bucks at Brooklyn College.. I hope I really save money and that it fits well! Countdown to Qi's begin! Impressions should be at 1964 office by Monday... hopefully I won't have to wait more than 3-4 weeks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back