1964 Ears
Oct 1, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #5,386 of 7,417
How do you find the V6S with the DX90 ?? I just bought one from a fellow Head-fier and wanting to know what its like and your preference versus the X5.

@ eaglex3
The V6S shines with both players, so you can't go wrong there. Till I had them, my StageDiver SD2 was my favourite iem, but the V6S brings the SQ absolutely to a higher level. Especially the soundstage and instrument separation. Must be because of the triple bore...
DX90 to my ears has a warmer signature with slightly wider soundsage. X5 imo has a bit brighter signature with slightly more detail.
At the moment I mainly use the X5 (have it only for a few weeks), but that doesn't mean the DX90 is inferior. Trust me, you'll love the combination of the DX90/V6S...

You bought the DX90 2nd hands. Did you ask the former owner how much time it has been used? This because the DX90 needs ± 400 hours playtime to sound at it's best. iBasso confirms this and included a burn-in cable for this purpose from the start. The first 3 weeks I had it running continuous...

Now I'm on the subject of burn-in. Does anybody know (out of experience) if the armature drivers of the 6VS even get better after some time? Very curious about that.
Thanks in advance...

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #5,388 of 7,417
How do you find the V6S with the DX90 ?? I just bought one from a fellow Head-fier and wanting to know what its like and your preference versus the X5.

@ eaglex3

The V6S shines with both players, so you can't go wrong there. Till I had them, my StageDiver SD2 was my favourite iem, but the V6S brings the SQ absolutely to a higher level. Especially the soundstage and instrument separation. Must be because of the triple bore...

DX90 to my ears has a warmer signature with slightly wider soundsage. X5 imo has a bit brighter signature with slightly more detail.

At the moment I mainly use the X5 (have it only for a few weeks), but that doesn't mean the DX90 is inferior. Trust me, you'll love the combination of the DX90/V6S...

You bought the DX90 2nd hands. Did you ask the former owner how much time it has been used? This because the DX90 needs ± 400 hours playtime to sound at it's best. iBasso confirms this and included a burn-in cable for this purpose from the start. The first 3 weeks I had it running continuous...

Now I'm on the subject of burn-in. Does anybody know (out of experience) if the armature drivers of the 6VS even get better after some time? Very curious about that.

Thanks in advance...

What firmware was the DX90 at?

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #5,389 of 7,417
I have Lurker0's FW2.1.0 installed & like the SQ of it. But I've also read recently (in the DX90 thread) there's a new official FW, which will have L/R balance control and supports M3U, coming up soon...

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #5,390 of 7,417

@ eaglex3

Thanks in advance...

I noticed that balanced armature(s) do not need as much burn-in as dynamic. However, I did notice some changes after playing my V6 for about 35 hours. The bass extended to the very bottom and the high(s) seemed smoother.

For some reason, maybe my ears are getting used to the match, X5 and my V6 are sounding very good together. X5 has the TI's top-flight DAC. I guess the dx90 could be better on the details if they implemented the ESS9018 instead of the ESS9018K2M.

Maybe I will get the X7 next year which will have ESS9018 because DX100 (new) is really hard to find.
redface.gif

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #5,391 of 7,417
I don't believe in burn in for BA driver IEM before I bought my roxanne. That IEM really do change with burn in and not only slightly but pretty significant changes. So yeah, BA iem do change with burn in, some may only change slightly, some may change drastically.

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #5,392 of 7,417
I was able to demo a pair of Qi's today. Coming from RE400, HD650 and IE800, i found it to be a bit piercing in the highs, checking 1964 ears, it seems it may be v6-s or v8, though for the price of a v8 here, i could add a little more to get AKR03s.
The details are better but the highs just weren't for me.

I wouldn't want to sched a full on demo w/o really committing to buying anything.

I guess i'll look for more reviews and comparisons here for now.

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #5,393 of 7,417
Interesting. On the 1964 website they show the Qi having a bass emphasis and less highs. What was the source during the demo?

Also, earlier you mentioned a akr03 and I'm not familiar with this - who makes it?

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #5,394 of 7,417
Interesting. On the 1964 website they show the Qi having a bass emphasis and less highs. What was the source during the demo?

Also, earlier you mentioned a akr03 and I'm not familiar with this - who makes it?

I believe it is a version of JH Roxanne specifically made for Iriver/Astell&Kern player with 12 drivers on each side. I guess the treble will sound harsh if it is not hitting the very high frequency which is probably why she found the highs piercing. Maybe you should give V6 or JH13 a try because they have a more transparent high frequency.

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #5,395 of 7,417
Just received my Universal V6S. Initial impression is that they sound very good, good detail; nice bass that is pretty tight and punchy with pretty solid body as well; smooth treble with enough spark but never harsh; mid is good not too thin not too thick, sounds very good with female vocal; pretty good soundstage. 

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #5,396 of 7,417
Wow I just do a quick comparison between V6S and Roxanne, I can definitely say the bass on V6S slam harder than the roxanne with bass at 2 o'clock, soundstage and imaging definitely goes to roxanne which is "magical" really, it's not only deep and wide but also height too, amazing. Not saying the soundstage and imaging on V6S is bad, it just the roxanne really do it better. I think drummer will love the sound of V6S for their monitoring purpose.
Oh almost forgot, the roxanne is more efficient in term of volume wise. Using my laptop and E10, I put my laptop volume at 75% and my E10 at 2 while media monkey is at 50% for V6S, the roxanne will sounds the same at about 25% or so.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #5,398 of 7,417
  Wow I just do a quick comparison between V6S and Roxanne, I can definitely say the bass on V6S slam harder than the roxanne with bass at 2 o'clock, soundstage and imaging definitely goes to roxanne which is "magical" really, it's not only deep and wide but also height too, amazing. Not saying the soundstage and imaging on V6S is bad, it just the roxanne really do it better. I think drummer will love the sound of V6S for their monitoring purpose.
Oh almost forgot, the roxanne is more efficient in term of volume wise. Using my laptop and E10, I put my laptop volume at 75% and my E10 at 2 while media monkey is at 50% for V6S, the roxanne will sounds the same at about 25% or so.

Thought about the Roxanne's some months ago, but when I saw a picture of it sticking out of an ear like a piece of broccoli (Frankensteinstyle), I wasn't interested anymore.
When I read this though, they must deliver more then excellent SQ as I'm already impressed with the SQ of the V6S.
I also ordered the universal fit and was suprised how small it was, considering there are 6 drivers inside. On the picture they're next to my Stagediver SD2, which isn't that big imo. But they look enormous besides the V6S.

Btw, are you using the tips that were send with the V6S?

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #5,400 of 7,417
Yeah the roxanne is very huge and I can only use it for 3 to 4 hours before it start to feel heavy. What I like about the v6s 8s that it is very small compare to the roxanne and the treble never harsh but still has that splashy sound for those cymbals. Also, the v6s is very detail and do an amazing separation between instruments making it perfect for monitoring purposes. And that bass slam is the closest thing a BA driver iem to sound like a dynamic driver bass that I have, even roxanne can't match (well maybe if I put the knob at 4 o'clock lol). I think for only $700 and 6 drivers ciem/universal, you can't go wrong with the v6s.
Here I do a comparison size of w4r, v6s and roxanne:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back