1964 Ears
Jun 29, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #3,977 of 7,417
popcorn.gif

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #3,978 of 7,417
Quote:
Hi anoxy
Do you rip your music to get >320? Right now most of my music is in iTunes and it is not lossless. Would getting the v3 also need >320 to sound great?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

If your ripping the cd's then you can go into settings and alter them to get a higher bitrate.  Do a google on it.

Cheers

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #3,979 of 7,417
I'm thinking of getting a V3.... Can I use after market cables with them?

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #3,981 of 7,417
Of course :wink:

So they're connectors are the same as UM and JH CIEM? And is it better to have recessed or normal sockets? I've read up that some cables do not work with recessed sockets

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #3,983 of 7,417
Quote:
No, they're not the same connectors as UM & JH (I think). I'm fairly sure they use Westone connectors (someone else can confirm this ?). Not sure how recessed sockets affect this, my V3's have standard sockets.

JH and UM use the same connectors, and 1964 ears is the same specification as those. UM is the only one out of those that uses a different spacing between pins if I remember correctly.
Now if you've got recessed sockets and it's a cable from someone like chris_himself of headphone lounge then you've got a problem, as he uses connectors designed to only be used for flush sockets and not recessed.

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #3,984 of 7,417
Quote:
JH and UM use the same connectors, and 1964 ears is the same specification as those. UM is the only one out of those that uses a different spacing between pins if I remember correctly.
Now if you've got recessed sockets and it's a cable from someone like chris_himself of headphone lounge then you've got a problem, as he uses connectors designed to only be used for flush sockets and not recessed.

So if i used Chris Himself cables, and my V3 does not have recessed sockets, it would work as well? How about the Silver Dragon cables?

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #3,985 of 7,417
Quote:
So if i used Chris Himself cables, and my V3 does not have recessed sockets, it would work as well? How about the Silver Dragon cables?

If you choose flush sockets then you'll have no issues. If you're having chris_himself build you one from the ground up you can opt to have him build if for use with a recessed plug.
The Silver Dragon appears to be a flush fit plug, but you could always try shooting them an email to find out for sure.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #3,986 of 7,417
So... a week in on my V6s and I can only say that I keep liking them more and more.  The fit issue I thought I had has pretty much resolved so if you are worried that they don't fit when you first get your headphones, give them a week to see if your ears get used to them because mine did.

I threw every genre of song that I had in my collection at these and there wasn't anything that they didn't do well with.  I was absolutely floored listening to the entirety of Led Zeppelin's Mothership compilation.  I think that is going to the my headphone test from here on out.  Everything from thumping bass to crunching guitars to Robert Plant scrunching up his undies and hitting those piercing high notes (which did come off as rather hot on my V6s but I ran the same song through all of my headphones and they were all equally pain inducing so its not the V6s fault).  The isolation you get with these things is just a wonder and you can really just get lost in the music, though my wife got pissed at me because she thought I was ignoring her for like a whole hour and when she came over to read me the riot act she noticed the cables running from my ears and realized I couldn't hear her, so take warning, there is a drawback to the isolation! 
beyersmile.png

I really like how the V6s seem to do the entire spectrum justice and don't seem to be bass, mid, or treble heavy.  They do just about everything right.  I do have to say that I'm really liking how this thing handles mids though.  Perhaps it is just too much time on v-shaped and smiley-shaped signatures but the voices (both male and female) on some of my jazz, acoustic, and country tracks were just phenomenal.  When you can hear the artist's lips part right before they begin to sing, you get that quick little sense of anticipation and then the sweet sounds just pour over you.

I do still have the one gripe over the color of my headphones so be sure you are prepared for them to really not look like the samples in the pictures (don't forget those are empty shells that they show on the colors page and are letting through a lot more light so yours will be darker).  Alex at 1964 Ears was really cool about my complaint and said that they would be happy to take a look at them and if they are outside of their color tolerances, they would redo them for me, but I'm not sure I want them gone for that long!  They are kind of growing on me, and hell, when they are in my ears I can't see what they look like anyway!

One other caution, these are really sensitive headphones and both of my amps (Fiio E7K and Schiit Magni) have some hiss on them, especially the Magni.  On my E7K it was only really noticeable in the quiet interludes but on the Magni I could even hear it in some of the songs.  I don't plan on using my V6s at my computer so its not really an issue for the Magni.  

I'm going on a trip later this summer and if these things do as well on the plane as I hope they do, these will be the holy grail for me in headphones.  Right now I already consider them to be one of my best 'gadget' investments ever!  If you are sitting on the fence about getting some CIEMs from 1964 Ears, don't be because once everything settles in you are going to be in heaven.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #3,987 of 7,417
Quote:
If you choose flush sockets then you'll have no issues. If you're having chris_himself build you one from the ground up you can opt to have him build if for use with a recessed plug.
The Silver Dragon appears to be a flush fit plug, but you could always try shooting them an email to find out for sure.

What are the benefits of a flush socket other than more choices of aftermarket wires? I read on the 1964 website that it corrodes easier than the recessed one?

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #3,988 of 7,417
Quote:
So... a week in on my V6s and I can only say that I keep liking them more and more.  The fit issue I thought I had has pretty much resolved so if you are worried that they don't fit when you first get your headphones, give them a week to see if your ears get used to them because mine did.

I threw every genre of song that I had in my collection at these and there wasn't anything that they didn't do well with.  I was absolutely floored listening to the entirety of Led Zeppelin's Mothership compilation.  I think that is going to the my headphone test from here on out.  Everything from thumping bass to crunching guitars to Robert Plant scrunching up his undies and hitting those piercing high notes (which did come off as rather hot on my V6s but I ran the same song through all of my headphones and they were all equally pain inducing so its not the V6s fault).  The isolation you get with these things is just a wonder and you can really just get lost in the music, though my wife got pissed at me because she thought I was ignoring her for like a whole hour and when she came over to read me the riot act she noticed the cables running from my ears and realized I couldn't hear her, so take warning, there is a drawback to the isolation! 
beyersmile.png

I really like how the V6s seem to the the entire spectrum justice and don't seem to be bass, mid, or treble heavy.  They do just about everything right.  I do have to say that I'm really liking how this thing handles mids though.  Perhaps it is just too much time on v-shaped and smiley-shaped signatures but the voices (both male and female) on some of my jazz, acoustic, and country tracks were just phenomenal.  When you can hear the artist's lips part right before they begin to sing, you get that quick little sense of anticipation and then the sweet sound just pour over you.

I do still have the one gripe over the color of my headphones so be sure you are prepared for them to really not look like the samples in the pictures (don't forget those are empty shells that they show on the colors page and are letting through a lot more light so yours will be darker).  Alex at 1964 Ears was really cool about my complain and said that they would be happy to take a look at them and if they are outside of their color tolerances, they would redo them for me, but I'm not sure I want them gone for that long!  They are kind of growing on me, and hell, when they are in my ears I can't see what they look like anyway!

One other caution, these are really sensitive headphones and both of my amps (Fiio E7K and Schiit Magni) have some hiss on them, especially the Magni.  On my E7K it was only really noticeable in the quiet interludes but on the Magni I could even hear it in some of the songs.  I don't plan on using my V6s at my computer so its not really an issue for the Magni.  

I'm going on a trip later this summer and if these things do as well on the plane as I hope they do, these will be the holy grail for me in headphones.  Right now I already consider them to be one of my best 'gadget' investments ever!  If you are sitting on the fence about getting some CIEMs from 1964 Ears, don't be because once everything settles in you are going to be in heaven.

Nice review, any pics?

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #3,989 of 7,417
I posted the one picture earlier but here is a picture of my portable rig as it stands right now.  Waiting to see about the Fiio X3 or X5 or better yet the iBasso DX50 to replace my iPod/E7K combo. The case in the picture is what I use to transport my V6s in.  It is the Lowepro Santiago 20 and is a hardshell case meant for a small point and shoot camera but it holds my CIEMs perfectly along with a polish cloth and the wax removal tool in the little pocket inside.  The case provided by 1964 Ears is awesome but just a tad big to carry around and there is no way that I'm using just the pouch they also provided.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #3,990 of 7,417
I have just purchase the v6, through communication, It seem like that 1964 will be coming up with new model that is on the bassy side. I am excited and eager to wait for it.

Here is the email record.

Send:
To [size=13.63636302947998px]Aleksey Polyakov <info@1964ears.com>[/size]
[size=13.63636302947998px]Thank you so much!, I have receive the headphone just before I leave at 6/27!  I really enjoy the amazing clarity the 1964 v6 was able to to bring. The only comparable clarity I had only hear from electrostatic phone. I'm looking to buy more custom from you guys. So i have a question out of curisity, do you kept the mold that was sent or scan them? I really want to get your quad as well for a bassy alternative, and wondering if I need to send new impression. I'm also wondering if you guys will introduce a 8 unit phone that is more bass heavy like the JH16. If that is the case, I will wait.[/size]

[size=13.63636302947998px]From [/size][size=13.63636302947998px]Aleksey Polyakov <info@1964ears.com>[/size]
[size=11pt]Glad to hear you like the earphones. We do store the impressions. I would wait until early September, we may have a new model that will fit your need.[/size]

[size=11pt]Glad to help![/size]

[size=11pt]Alex Polyakov[/size]
[size=11pt]Marketing and Sales[/size]
[size=11pt]1964 EARS, LLC[/size]
[size=8pt]This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back