1964 Ears
Jul 30, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #2,671 of 7,417
The quads make it a lot easier for me to tell 192K apart from 320K -- expanded soundstage, among other things.

Quote:
Just preparing for my quads in a few weeks, how sensitive are they to "lesser" quality music?

I've noticed most of my music is 192kbps-256kbps.

Should I be looking for music of a higher bitrate?

I can't wait to not have to keep pushing my universals back in every 3 minutes!!

Cheers-

Pete

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #2,672 of 7,417
I've had my Quads for about a month or so and I'm still in the love phase. Fit is pretty good though I have to wiggle them sometimes to get a decent seal. Sound buries my CK10s and X10i's for all my beloved genres (shoegaze/dreampop, post-punk, new wave, jazz). (perhaps) strangely, they aren't that great to listen to lectures with but the isolation makes up for any "deficiencies" (using quotes as the real issue is the low bitrate that my school uses to record the lectures).

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #2,673 of 7,417
I've read through this thread and still don't have a sense of whether pairing these with amps cause an appreciable change in volume or sound. Don't get me wrong...I like how my quads sound...but I guess this site does make one wonder if you are missing something. :) 

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #2,674 of 7,417
Check out my post #2651 earlier, kind of gave impressions on how the quads go with the Beat cables and the iBasso D10 and D12 amplifiers. So far, I've tried it with the ALO Rx MKII as well, which I must say really impressed me, especially with the soundstage.

To sum it up, I'd say amplifiers do have an appreciable impact on the Quads. Volume was absolutely more than plenty, especially when pairing with the more powerful ones. Sound quality I would say does improve, but by how well depends on the synergy of the quads with that amplifier.

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #2,675 of 7,417
Well I placed an order today - 1964-T, trans royal blue, no art, soft canals.

After reading this thread, it seems clear that most people are very happy with their 1964's. I can't afford the Triples from UE or JH.
UM is lower in price, and I've been exchanging emails with Matt at UM Australia, but I'm on a pretty serious budget. I'm a performing musician, and while I liked the look of the mid range on the Duals, I also play drums, and use IEM's while tracking in the studio too.
So I paid a little more for Triples, and hopefully there's enough mid-range to keep me happy when playing electric guitar and singing.
Because of the singing, I also paid $50 to get the soft canals - I'm hoping that they will provide better isolation, fit and comfort without the price tag of Sensaphonics silicone!

Anyway, I'll be interested to see how long the wait is, and I'll be even more interested to try customs for the first time. The only other 'Pro' IEM I've had are a set of UE super.fi.5 dual driver. Sound on those was OK, if a little 'boxy' in the lower mids (like they were compensating for having no true bass by cranking up the low mids)

Interestingly, they were pretty good for listening to mastered music on my MacBook or work iMac, but were much, much nastier when used on stage. And they were also falling out constantly, hurt my ears, and even when rammed right in, lacked isolation.

When getting my impressions done today I LOVED the extremely high level of isolation as the silicone set in my ear - is that similar to the level of isolation I should get from the IEM?

Anyway, I'm very excited about this purchase, as I've been using universals for nearly two years, and while I love going home after a show without ringing ears, I've never quite been happy with the sound or fit. Hopefully 1964ears customs complete my stage listening setup. My source is very simple - Sennheiser G2 stereo wireless IEM system.

Aug 6, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #2,676 of 7,417

Quote:
Check out my post #2651 earlier, kind of gave impressions on how the quads go with the Beat cables and the iBasso D10 and D12 amplifiers. So far, I've tried it with the ALO Rx MKII as well, which I must say really impressed me, especially with the soundstage.

To sum it up, I'd say amplifiers do have an appreciable impact on the Quads. Volume was absolutely more than plenty, especially when pairing with the more powerful ones. Sound quality I would say does improve, but by how well depends on the synergy of the quads with that amplifier.

Interesting. I'm mostly interested in tonal differences as I get plenty of volume out of my current setup. Again, it's not like I have any issues with how my Quads sound but one begins to dream after reading some of the threads both in this forum and the Amp forum (worse for me as I'm unfamiliar with amps and so am buffeted about by all the opinions I read there) 

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #2,680 of 7,417
Aug 8, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #2,682 of 7,417
Awesome! don't forget to post your impressions on those as well please. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
JH13 remold by 1964 ears. They're that good.

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #2,683 of 7,417
I just received my new 1964-T's in the mail today.  These are my first set of customs and I wanted to ask you all a few questions regarding the fitment.  Overall, I would say the fit is spot on.  The left feels barely smaller than the right but not something I would ever consider sending back in for a refit.  I have a question about being able to break the seal though.  If I open my mouth wide open it is nearly impossible to break the seal.  But if I smile or open my mouth in a way where my cheek bones raise up, I am able to break the seal and it feels like there is a gap created in the direct bottom part of the monitor and my ear canal.  Im guessing this is probably normal?  Im not quite sure how you could create a seal that would never break when your jaw moves but I really have nothing to compare these against.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #2,684 of 7,417
After you smile and your mouth is back in its regular position does the seal come back? I get that with my 1964-T as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back