1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Sep 2, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #6,391 of 9,124
John, Chord has mentioned that Massdrop is not an authorized dealer of Chord products and so it will not offer warranty coverage for items purchased from MD. Sorry to kill the buzz man. But I thought I should let you know when you still have time to back out if you prefer having warranty for the Hugo.

Some might prefer the lower price over warranty and some might prefer the warranty over the lower price. Comes down to preferences.

Dropped out

sorry to be off topic

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #6,392 of 9,124
Interesting side note...The veil/impedance mismatch stands out most when listening to music like Egypt's(doom metal) masterful Endless Flight album-with it's slightly recessed upper mids and highs. An unintended benefit of the veil is that it slightly smooths some of the treble harsh black metal, but I'd still rather not have it with the A12's.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #6,394 of 9,124
I posted about output impedance because it's important you all understand that output impedance will always have an effect on frequency response... one way or another.... with ANY iem. With the 12's if you have a standard S1 module having a higher output impedance source will give you the leaner sound if you are searching for it.

The B1/MAM changes the frequency response of the 12's. The B1 leans out the mid bass and low mids. Previous posts made by other members here are a testament to that. The 12's with a B1/MAM have the same response curve you get with a higher output impedance source with the S1 module. That was the whole intention of these modules in the first place. They exist so both audiophiles and musicians can enjoy the full experience of the products exactly as they were designed to sound. The beauty is the modules offer different flavors of sound that the end user chooses. Some people prefer a leaner sound. Swapping in a B1/MAM module or changing over to a higher output impedance source will provide that sound signature. My earlier post was just to show that you guys have more than one option.

Think of it this way... if you don't want to mess with output sources at all the S1 module is for stage and studio use and the B1 module for lower output impedance sources that most audiophiles own. The 12's sound exactly as Vitaliy intended when he designed them.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #6,395 of 9,124

The easiest solution is just to buy $10 buffer jack from UE: http://pro.ultimateears.com/products/custom-accessories (scroll down the list)

It's better than impedance adapter because it doesn't stick out from your phone or DAP headphone jack.  You can keep your existing cable, and it's only $10.

Don't expect miracles, but you will get a subtle improvement.  I believe these buffer jacks are rated at about 75 ohms.

Thanks for the economical suggestion. Maybe I'm being OCD but I want as little as possible in my system, hence I chose male male micro b for my Mojo --> S7E setup instead of an adapter. As the authority you are-and you are-do you think the adapter would make as much of a difference as the purpose built cable discussed earlier or a retune or a downgrade to A10?

Waiting to see what 64 says when they jump in this discussion but I'm leaning toward converting A12 to A10 unless the cable thingy idea Brooko suggested happens.

With an exception of a few manufacturers, many don't build their own cables and instead just buy in bulk lower quality OFC cables which they provide bundled with their iems/ciems.  I could be wrong, but have a feeling these manufacturers will not invest into custom impedance cables.  Especially with 64 Audio where not all of their products will benefit from it; having a custom cable will not just add to the overhead but also will create a bit of a headache with logistics to make sure they package the right cable with the right pair of monitors and do the same while handling re-fits and repairs under warranty.

In theory, the buffer jack just has some in-series resistance to add to impedance and you can easily built it into the cable.  In practice, I would doubt they will go for a custom cable.  Retuning - means making another model: a'la Zeus-XIV vs Zeus-R.  Is that realistic?  With all the drama about ADEL vs APEX and the confusion from customers, to add another confusion about "this U12 is for high impedance with this set of cables vs that U12 is for low impedance with another set of cables" - don't think is a good idea either.  That's why the easiest and the cleanest solution is just to try it with impedance adapter or to use brand name Ultimate Ears jack buffer for $10 or wait for that uber iFi iEMatch adapter.  Just my realistic opinion about the most practical and easiest solution to mitigate this problem.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #6,396 of 9,124
I jumped into the Massdrop promotion for U4-SE with the B1. With these offer the ability to use modules from either Asius or 64 Audio, the U4-SE seemed the right level to try.

Now I just need to a list of what tips are recommended.

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #6,404 of 9,124
I posted about output impedance because it's important you all understand that output impedance will always have an effect on frequency response... one way or another.... with ANY iem. With the 12's if you have a standard S1 module having a higher output impedance source will give you the leaner sound if you are searching for it.

The B1/MAM changes the frequency response of the 12's. The B1 leans out the mid bass and low mids. Previous posts made by other members here are a testament to that. The 12's with a B1/MAM have the same response curve you get with a higher output impedance source with the S1 module. That was the whole intention of these modules in the first place. They exist so both audiophiles and musicians can enjoy the full experience of the products exactly as they were designed to sound. The beauty is the modules offer different flavors of sound that the end user chooses. Some people prefer a leaner sound. Swapping in a B1/MAM module or changing over to a higher output impedance source will provide that sound signature. My earlier post was just to show that you guys have more than one option.

Think of it this way... if you don't want to mess with output sources at all the S1 module is for stage and studio use and the B1 module for lower output impedance sources that most audiophiles own. The 12's sound exactly as Vitaliy intended when he designed them.

From what I understand, the new APEX m20 module is very similar to the S1 module? Does the m20 also require a high impedance source to get the leaner sound? And will there be a APEX equivalent of the B1?

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #6,405 of 9,124
There's no big deal around buying the B1. Buy whichever one suits your music preferences. For me, anything that reduces bass and isolation is a no-go. Therefore I stick with S1.

To provide some info on sound isolation:

ADEL MAM Fully open: -6dB to -8dB
ADEL B1 - 10db
ADEL S1 -18db
APEX M20 -20db
ADEL MAM Fully closed: -26dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back