1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Sep 2, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #6,361 of 9,124
To my ears, my a12 universal's sound really good paired with my Onkyo DP-X1, balanced mode (150mW+150mW), set at mid power (32 ohm's?).
Is this the type of output they need?

Sound better than with my ak120.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #6,362 of 9,124
@twister6

Now imagine what difference you would hear on a native higher output impedance device
wink.gif

Sure, we can let our imagination run wild, but the reality check - we are on head-fi, the community of audiophiles and audio enthusiasts with the latest dedicated low impedance DAPs and DAC/amps
wink.gif
  Btw, I'm testing UERR right now and just discovered a very similar behavior when using their buffer jack (impedance adapter, what I used to call "flight' adapter).  NOW, this makes a perfect sense since UERR is designed for recording and mixing with studio equipment which has higher output impedance.  I used this buffer jack w/UERR from the same sources and similar to U12 now I hear the improvement in upper frequency clarity.  I typically use impedance adapters with very sensitive iems/ciems to attenuate background hissing noise, never thought to use it with something like U12 or UERR.

Would make sense for 64 Audio to include impedance adapter/buffer as part of the accessories package.  Or better yet, wait for iFi iEMatch availability: http://www.head-fi.org/t/814317/ifi-launch-competition-closed-what-the-heck-is-it/90#post_12795744 .  Can't wait to test it.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #6,363 of 9,124
I'll show you guys measurements of the U6 and U10 with and without impedance adaptors over the weekend.

I have an idea for @Videl and @christopherogut which might appeal to the 64audio team.

You should be able to design a cable with a higher output impedance - say around 40-50 ohms additional impedance.  It solves the issues of us audio enthusiasts looking for a reference signature, and means we don't need to get anything retuned.  As long as you make the price reasonable, you'll get plenty of buyers.  And it adds a revenue stream.  You're in the profession of making IEMs and accessories - so it just makes sense.

PS - I don't need royalties - you can have my idea.  But if you adopt it, I'd like a cable to review / add to my U6 and upcoming U10 reviews please.

Job done
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #6,364 of 9,124
Many IEMs these days come with multiple set of cables or adapters by default to suit the use case of the users. I feel the customers will be very happy if the cable or adapter can be included with the IEM at no additional cost.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #6,365 of 9,124
To my ears, my a12 universal's sound really good paired with my Onkyo DP-X1, balanced mode (150mW+150mW), set at mid power (32 ohm's?).
Is this the type of output they need?

Sound better than with my ak120.

I like the A12's with the DP-X1 and a very small bump in the higher frequencies and pulling down the sub bass a very small amount in Neutron. Unfortunately my current CIEM cable is too dark sounding so I have mostly listened single ended. I think I was using low gain so I will have to try the mid-power setting when they come back and get my Norne Cable. The problem for me is my DAP is only for occasional use as I much prefer my desktop rig and it's not set up in a way where I can EQ it - and I really don't want to anyway.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #6,366 of 9,124
I have read on the Soundaware M1 Pro thread that this DAP has a higher headphones out impedance like 10ohms. Perhaps this is a good match for the U12? Anybody has this combo?

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #6,367 of 9,124
  I have read on the Soundaware M1 Pro thread that this DAP has a higher headphones out impedance like 10ohms. Perhaps this is a good match for the U12? Anybody has this combo?

Hi, after reading your post, I tracked down the post where you might have got that info. I have a M1 Pro review unit on hand and I am using it to drive sensitive low impedance IEMs with no problem. I do hear a faint hiss but I am not sure if I'd be able to listen to my IEMs if it was 10 Ohms, I am just a bit skeptical that it would actually have an impedance of 10 Ohm.

Here is an interesting thing, in certain regions, manufacturers use different standards to measure the impedances of the devices.

For example, Shanling was reporting higher numbers for their output impedance of their players, until recently they realized that other manufacturers were using a different standard to measure and report the out put impedance of their devices. This post will shed some light:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/799595/shanling-m5-impressions-discussion-thread/75#post_12517303

I am not saying the M1 Pro's OI is not 10Ohm, I am just saying there is also a possibility that those numbers were based on a different standard.

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #6,368 of 9,124
As I wait for my A12's to be delivered, all these comments are starting to make me nervous after dropping so much money on my first pair of CIEM's and I am wondering if I made the correct decision to go with 64audio.  firstly, what attracted me to 64audio was ADEL and on the day I handed over my hard earned money, the split with Asius was announced and now instead of ADEL its APEX.  Secondly, now it seems to get the best out of the A12's you need a high impedance source and my source will be the AK Jr which has an output impedance of 2ohms!!!

I know the description of the A12's were that it was targeted for studio or stage musicians and the most discerning audiophiles, but all IEM makers say that to a certain extent, take for example the JH Layla's you can practically run them off any source and they sound fine, nothing about needing high impedance source to get the best of them because they were tuned that way.

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #6,370 of 9,124
@moshen

The 12's were designed for the stage musicians, singers, and performers. The shure and sennheiser wired and wirless bodypacks, as well as other gear such as mixers, have higher output impedances.

The 10's are actually designed with the audiophile in mind. The 10's with the s1 module actually sound closer to what the 12's sound like with the b1 module.
The U4SE was designed completely for the audiophile as well.

So if they won't offer an A12 retune maybe a discounted downgrade to the A10? Do you have an impedance graph for the A10 as well? I want to see what impedance it matches best with. I feel they should have left the audiophile sentence out of this:

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #6,371 of 9,124
I'll show you guys measurements of the U6 and U10 with and without impedance adaptors over the weekend.

I have an idea for @Videl and @christopherogut which might appeal to the 64audio team.

You should be able to design a cable with a higher output impedance - say around 40-50 ohms additional impedance.  It solves the issues of us audio enthusiasts looking for a reference signature, and means we don't need to get anything retuned.  As long as you make the price reasonable, you'll get plenty of buyers.  And it adds a revenue stream.  You're in the profession of making IEMs and accessories - so it just makes sense.

PS - I don't need royalties - you can have my idea.  But if you adopt it, I'd like a cable to review / add to my U6 and upcoming U10 reviews please.

Job done :D  

Excellent idea, let's hope this new cable, a retune or discounted downgrade to A10(Assuming A10 responds correctly to low impedance sources) occurs. The fact is the highest quality DACs/DAPs are all trending toward low output impedance, any flagship ciem advertised as being for the "most discerning audiophiles" should pair nicely with them also this was the trend before the A12 as well.

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #6,372 of 9,124
As I wait for my A12's to be delivered, all these comments are starting to make me nervous after dropping so much money on my first pair of CIEM's and I am wondering if I made the correct decision to go with 64audio.  firstly, what attracted me to 64audio was ADEL and on the day I handed over my hard earned money, the split with Asius was announced and now instead of ADEL its APEX.  Secondly, now it seems to get the best out of the A12's you need a high impedance source and my source will be the AK Jr which has an output impedance of 2ohms!!!

I know the description of the A12's were that it was targeted for studio or stage musicians and the most discerning audiophiles, but all IEM makers say that to a certain extent, take for example the JH Layla's you can practically run them off any source and they sound fine, nothing about needing high impedance source to get the best of them because they were tuned that way.

I am sorry, that's unfortunate. Hope everything works out to your satisfaction.

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #6,374 of 9,124
Sep 2, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #6,375 of 9,124

Job done
biggrin.gif

Excellent idea, let's hope this new cable, a retune or discounted downgrade to A10(Assuming A10 responds correctly to low impedance sources) occurs. The fact is the highest quality DACs/DAPs are all trending toward low output impedance, any flagship ciem advertised as being for the "most discerning audiophiles" should pair nicely with them also this was the trend before the A12 as well.

The easiest solution is just to buy $10 buffer jack from UE: http://pro.ultimateears.com/products/custom-accessories (scroll down the list)

It's better than impedance adapter because it doesn't stick out from your phone or DAP headphone jack.  You can keep your existing cable, and it's only $10.

Don't expect miracles, but you will get a subtle improvement.  I believe these buffer jacks are rated at about 75 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back