1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Sep 2, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #6,376 of 9,124
  As I wait for my A12's to be delivered, all these comments are starting to make me nervous after dropping so much money on my first pair of CIEM's and I am wondering if I made the correct decision to go with 64audio.  firstly, what attracted me to 64audio was ADEL and on the day I handed over my hard earned money, the split with Asius was announced and now instead of ADEL its APEX.  Secondly, now it seems to get the best out of the A12's you need a high impedance source and my source will be the AK Jr which has an output impedance of 2ohms!!!

I know the description of the A12's were that it was targeted for studio or stage musicians and the most discerning audiophiles, but all IEM makers say that to a certain extent, take for example the JH Layla's you can practically run them off any source and they sound fine, nothing about needing high impedance source to get the best of them because they were tuned that way.

I wouldn't worry too much until you get them. I enjoyed my u6's straight out of the box. It was a change from my etymotics, but was still enjoyable. Now that I've gotten used to their signature, I can't hardly go back. I do on occasion as a "second opinion" of my mixes. And they definately have a different voice. That's much more in your face, but once I go back to the 64's they much more relaxed, natural, and enjoyable. I've also used mine with several sources and have yet to notice a major change from them. Not that the output impedance doesn't make a difference, it's just probably not going to completely revoice them into a different animal. It could be a solid improvement, but that are what they are at their core.

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #6,377 of 9,124
@twister6

Now imagine what difference you would hear on a native higher output impedance device
wink.gif

My larger headphones are used at home with this equipment!  I purchased these with portability in mind.  Very unhappy 
mad.gif

I wish this was disclosed initially. It would have saved me a lot of time, money and frustration with module swapping.  Ironically a lot of money has gone to the company you are at odds with.  

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #6,378 of 9,124
Regarding the subject that U12 needs a higher impedance source as it was built for studio and stage use while the U10 is more for audiophiles.

I'd like to say that, when I demoed the U10 and U12 side by side, I was using a Fiio X3ii which has an Output Impedance less than 1 Ohm. And even out of the X3ii, except for the tuning differences between the U12 and U10, I couldn't find any differences between the 2 IEMs. Meaning, the U12 ran just as fine as the U10 out of my low output impedance X3ii.

Now talking about Mojo though, there have been numerous reports that the U12 sounds muddy and congested through the Mojo. Even 64 Audio's chart shows Mojo as the low impedance source. I would like to see measurements from other low impedance sources to further validate the point that U12 does not pair well with low impedance sources. Mojo is not the only low impedance source out there.

Bottom line: Mojo + U12/A12 is not the most ideal pairing. But if you own a U12 and other low impedance sources, there is still hope.

Bottom line 2: If you already own a Mojo and looking to buy a 64 Audio IEM, consider the U10/A10. If you already own a U12/A12, and planning on buying a Mojo, please reconsider.

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #6,379 of 9,124
The easiest solution is just to buy $10 buffer jack from UE: http://pro.ultimateears.com/products/custom-accessories (scroll down the list)

It's better than impedance adapter because it doesn't stick out from your phone or DAP headphone jack.  You can keep your existing cable, and it's only $10.

Don't expect miracles, but you will get a subtle improvement.  I believe these buffer jacks are rated at about 75 ohms.

Thanks for the economical suggestion. Maybe I'm being OCD but I want as little as possible in my system, hence I chose male male micro b for my Mojo --> S7E setup instead of an adapter. As the authority you are-and you are-do you think the adapter would make as much of a difference as the purpose built cable discussed earlier or a retune or a downgrade to A10?

Waiting to see what 64 says when they jump in this discussion but I'm leaning toward converting A12 to A10 unless the cable thingy idea Brooko suggested happens.

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #6,381 of 9,124
All I can say is A10 + Mojo is sublime.

The Hugo is on mass drop any idea what the output impedance is compared to the Mojo? Better worse for U12's

U12's are turning into a Money pit.  MAM , B-1, G-1 now looking for an Amp/Dac or DAP to better match their odd impedance 
mad.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #6,382 of 9,124
The OI of Hugo is same as the Mojo but I have seen people say that it has more hiss with sensitive IEMs. Also in terms of output power, both Mojo and Hugo are the same.

I have seen a couple of U12/A12 owners move from Mojo over to Hugo because they felt it paired better with the Hugo. In Jelt's Fit for a Bat, TOTL Custom IEMs reviews on The Headphone List , A12 ranked #3 in the overall line up. And he used Chord Hugo.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #6,384 of 9,124
The OI of Hugo is same as the Mojo but I have seen people say that it has more hiss with sensitive IEMs. Also in terms of output power, both Mojo and Hugo are the same.

I have seen a couple of U12/A12 owners move from Mojo over to Hugo because they felt it paired better with the Hugo. In Jelt's Fit for a Bat, TOTL Custom IEMs reviews on The Headphone List , A12 ranked #3 in the overall line up. And he used Chord Hugo.

He also used S1 module and complained of lack of high end, I think it could have done better if it had B1.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #6,386 of 9,124
I wouldn't worry too much until you get them. I enjoyed my u6's straight out of the box. It was a change from my etymotics, but was still enjoyable. Now that I've gotten used to their signature, I can't hardly go back. I do on occasion as a "second opinion" of my mixes. And they definately have a different voice. That's much more in your face, but once I go back to the 64's they much more relaxed, natural, and enjoyable. I've also used mine with several sources and have yet to notice a major change from them. Not that the output impedance doesn't make a difference, it's just probably not going to completely revoice them into a different animal. It could be a solid improvement, but that are what they are at their core.

Thanks for the reassurance I hope the A12's are everything that I hoped for I guess I'm just getting nervous especially with the money that's been dropped

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #6,387 of 9,124

Thanks

I read that review. It was insanely detailed 

I agree with Ike1985 , the reviewer should have tried the B-1's

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #6,388 of 9,124
The Hugo is on mass drop any idea what the output impedance is compared to the Mojo? Better worse for U12's

U12's are turning into a Money pit.  MAM , B-1, G-1 now looking for an Amp/Dac or DAP to better match their odd impedance :mad:

I suggest waiting for 64 audio's response to all this, throwing money at Hugo may be entitely unnecessary pending what 64 decides to do. I don't know if you already have Mojo or not but I WILL NOT be selling my Mojo, it's a masterpiece and a tremendous value at it's price point that will provide excellent sound to any iem's/headphones you buy in the future.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #6,389 of 9,124
I suggest waiting for 64 audio's response to all this, throwing money at Hugo may be entitely unnecessary pending what 64 decides to do. I don't know if you already have Mojo or not but I WILL NOT be selling my Mojo, it's a masterpiece and a tremendous value at it's price point that will provide excellent sound to any iem's/headphones you buy in the future.

Hugo is for my Elears  but I'll try it with my U12's & U10's

I love my Mojo too

You're probably right!  I have been buying and selling way too much stuff.   This hobby is addictive!!  For $1,700 (potentially lower) I just couldn't pass it up
Might need AA 
Audiophiles anonymous 
frown.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #6,390 of 9,124
John, Chord has mentioned that Massdrop is not an authorized dealer of Chord products and so it will not offer warranty coverage for items purchased from MD. Sorry to kill the buzz man. But I thought I should let you know when you still have time to back out if you prefer having warranty for the Hugo.

Some might prefer the lower price over warranty and some might prefer the warranty over the lower price. Comes down to preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back