1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Apr 26, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #4,921 of 9,124
I've had the ADEL-B1 modules for a couple of days but haven't had the chance to try them out. This morning I made the mistake of giving them a go before starting work.

And wow.

I only had a few minutes but ended up listening for nearly an hour. I literally couldn't stop myself listening to the next track, and the next track. Plugged into my Hugo, the A12s remind me of my Noble K10s, with the ability to trick the brain into picturing a holographic, 3-dimensional scene containing very lifelike-sounding instruments and voices.

After my disappointment with the S1 module (bassy, cluttered sound) I was a little worried that I'd made the wrong choice between the A12 and A10, but after my short listen today I'm sure the A12 will be just fine.

I'm looking forward to more listening, and to receiving the manual module, before reporting back with more in-depth impressions.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #4,923 of 9,124
  1. No molds are needed for the bubble, you're correct.

2. The bubble is ran via tiny pumps that receive their power through an extra tiny wire weaved into your 3.5mm cable. Devices will have an option to power those pumps, built in. We're in talks right now with a major player about this being implemented very soon.

3. Right now, we have a set at the lab that has been going strong for 5 years, mind you thats been well cared for. In the end, we're expecting bubbles to be disposable like the modern tips for universal IEMs, in some form or another.

4. You can use the Passive ADEL modules with the Active ADEL, this would be done for bass adjustment purposes. However, as you're able to play with the bubbles tension, you're able to adjust the sound signature that way as well. I find it best with the bubble to be right on the cusp of breaking the seal, making the membrane as floppy as possible, which absorbs the pressures like an airbag. Doing the same thing as the Passive ADEL is doing now in the current 64 IEMs. So will the Passive ADEL modules be needed? I'm not really sure, there's benefits to having them there, but I'm not sure right now how the first retail version of bubble will include it or not.

5. Yes the version we use right now for demos is a 2 driver setup and I have said before that it does one up the A10 in my opinion for the sake of it's clarity and crisp sound delivery...which if you've listened to the 10, you know that's really saying something. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the current driver war that is going on, to me it's no different than the horsepower wars. It's not about how much power you can have on a stat sheet, it's about how you use that power. So the coupling to the ear that the bubble is able to create, is able to deliver the sound of those BAs in a superior way than conventional acrylic shells, therefore all those drivers just aren't needed. To me, I think the sweet spot is around 3 BAs, or one very solid dynamic driver. But we'll see what Vitaliy thinks is best to deliver his sound.

6. The pumps are very tiny, don't worry about bulk. We're talking TINY. Grams. Location wise, I don't believe I'm supposed to give that out at this point online, but don't worry about bulk...

If you'd like to contact Stephen directly regarding bubble questions, his email address is Stephen.Ambrose@AsiusTechnologies.com or you can PM me for his cell number. I know his number is out there in a dozen spots, but I always feel weird putting somebody else's number on a forum. He likes talking directly with people about this sort of stuff, via email/phone/skype. 

Thank you for your reply, I just hope the bubble will be easily replaceable (probably buy a pack with the iems), with a mic cable option and the pump can be powered by other means (3.5mm jack/usb power or a small manual syringe/pump will also do). I rather stick with my phone and not buy another dap, if that's not possible, then I'll get the customs and not wait the half year +. I'd probably already ordered them if I wasn't so interested in the bass 'feel' you mentioned.

Given they sound better than the A10 already, I personally rather have better isolation rather then a passive module.

I just feel it's easier to have a record of questions here instead of answering them multiple times to different people via e-mail.

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #4,924 of 9,124
Cool. Thanks for the info. Does 64Audio offer tours of their facility/lab for the public/customers? I might visit a cousin who lives in Portland, this summer. Planning on paying 64Audio a visit if I do make the trip.

We can do a quick tour of the lab. We would ask that visitors call us ahead to schedule an appointment to make sure everything's available. But it's pretty open door policy so we don't turn away people who randomly drop in. 

MF DOOM can do no wrong in my eyes :)

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully it won't be too long before we can pre-order. Any idea how much these will cost? 

MAMs will be $199 for the pair. There's alot more going on inside and they take much longer to build, hence costing more than the Auto modules.

does the MAM include both the sounds of the B1 and S1 or is it heading into a different direction? 

The MAM is cabable of both settings that the B1 & S1 Auto modules provide, plus a whole lot more.
  Thank you for your reply, I just hope the bubble will be easily replaceable (probably buy a pack with the iems), with a mic cable option and the pump can be powered by other means (3.5mm jack/usb power or a small manual syringe/pump will also do). I rather stick with my phone and not buy another dap, if that's not possible, then I'll get the customs and not wait the half year +. I'd probably already ordered them if I wasn't so interested in the bass 'feel' you mentioned.

Given they sound better than the A10 already, I personally rather have better isolation rather then a passive module.

I just feel it's easier to have a record of questions here instead of answering them multiple times to different people via e-mail.

What I would do in your spot if you're REALLY wanting the inflatable tech (which is fantastic), I'd pick up the U Series of the model you think you're going to want. Then when the hybrid tip retrofit kit becomes available, jump on that. I say this because I've already seen the timeline for the bubble get pushed back a couple of times, so I'd hate for you to be holding out waiting for it, only for it to get pushed again and again. We keep coming up with really get stuff one the way of perfecting the bubble, so more stuff is getting introduced between now and the bubble, pushing bubble back more since the focus is on the intermediate technology getting perfected. 

It's not like we purposefully dangle the bubble then push it back again and again. This is just sorta the downside of showing people the newest coolest prototypes we're working on. The bubble is currently in it's third round of testing at Vanderbilt University under Dr. Todd Ricketts. We could just focus on getting the bubble out for audiophile purposes, like any other IEM, but because of what the technology is capable of doing for the hearing impaired, we're putting it through the most rigorous testing possible. The more and more tests that get done with it, it's getting called a medical breakthrough. 

We want all the testing done possible and all the science checked again and again, before putting it into production and this takes time. Alot of time unfortunately.

So in the meantime, you could be listening to music with a U Series, then retrofit it with the hybrid tips when those get released, have those for a while, THEN step up to the bubble when it's finally time. I wish I could say that the bubble is going to be right around the corner, it's getting closer...it's just still going to be a while.

Just my 2 cents, since I have my IEMs in for 6+ hours a day and can't imagine going all the time between now and the bubble, without them.

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #4,925 of 9,124
  We can do a quick tour of the lab. We would ask that visitors call us ahead to schedule an appointment to make sure everything's available. But it's pretty open door policy so we don't turn away people who randomly drop in. 

Thanks for getting back to me on that. That's great. I'll call ahead, once I have the trip planned.

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #4,927 of 9,124
Wow, I let slip a couple of weeks on that thread and now there is an ADEL-B1 module, ordered can't wait!
Now MAM would be the real deal but from what I gather not until this summer...

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #4,928 of 9,124
I wish other makers like JH can do the same for updating my jh13 to the 13v2, but I'm not holding my breath for that...

Do you mind comparing the V8 or A8 to to the JH13?

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #4,929 of 9,124
I've had the ADEL-B1 modules for a couple of days but haven't had the chance to try them out. This morning I made the mistake of giving them a go before starting work.

And wow.

I only had a few minutes but ended up listening for nearly an hour. I literally couldn't stop myself listening to the next track, and the next track. Plugged into my Hugo, the A12s remind me of my Noble K10s, with the ability to trick the brain into picturing a holographic, 3-dimensional scene containing very lifelike-sounding instruments and voices.

After my disappointment with the S1 module (bassy, cluttered sound) I was a little worried that I'd made the wrong choice between the A12 and A10, but after my short listen today I'm sure the A12 will be just fine.

I'm looking forward to more listening, and to receiving the manual module, before reporting back with more in-depth impressions.

Yes the difference is significant. A12 B1 is the way to go, can't imagine anyone prefering the S1 over B1 in A12.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #4,931 of 9,124

MAMs will be $199 for the pair. There's alot more going on inside and they take much longer to build, hence costing more than the Auto modules.

The MAM is cabable of both settings that the B1 & S1 Auto modules provide, plus a whole lot more.
What I would do in your spot if you're REALLY wanting the inflatable tech (which is fantastic), I'd pick up the U Series of the model you think you're going to want. Then when the hybrid tip retrofit kit becomes available, jump on that. I say this because I've already seen the timeline for the bubble get pushed back a couple of times, so I'd hate for you to be holding out waiting for it, only for it to get pushed again and again. We keep coming up with really get stuff one the way of perfecting the bubble, so more stuff is getting introduced between now and the bubble, pushing bubble back more since the focus is on the intermediate technology getting perfected. 

It's not like we purposefully dangle the bubble then push it back again and again. This is just sorta the downside of showing people the newest coolest prototypes we're working on. The bubble is currently in it's third round of testing at Vanderbilt University under Dr. Todd Ricketts. We could just focus on getting the bubble out for audiophile purposes, like any other IEM, but because of what the technology is capable of doing for the hearing impaired, we're putting it through the most rigorous testing possible. The more and more tests that get done with it, it's getting called a medical breakthrough. 

We want all the testing done possible and all the science checked again and again, before putting it into production and this takes time. Alot of time unfortunately.

So in the meantime, you could be listening to music with a U Series, then retrofit it with the hybrid tips when those get released, have those for a while, THEN step up to the bubble when it's finally time. I wish I could say that the bubble is going to be right around the corner, it's getting closer...it's just still going to be a while.

Just my 2 cents, since I have my IEMs in for 6+ hours a day and can't imagine going all the time between now and the bubble, without them.

Is there any chance you tried or will be able to try a 'hacked together' solution with the bubble and U10+U12? Any thoughts will be great, thanks!

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #4,932 of 9,124
  Is there any chance you tried or will be able to try a 'hacked together' solution with the bubble and U10+U12? Any thoughts will be great, thanks!

The closest we've come to that is the bubble tips on the U series (normally a 12) with the MAMs, to dial down the bass a bit. I know Stephen has put those tips on a set of U10s, but I haven't heard those. I know a number of people have thought it would be perfect if they could have something somewhere between the 10 and 12, which I can understand for some stuff (I like a bit more bass than some people). However, I really think that the 12 with the B1 fills that gaps really nicely. The MAM will allow to further dial in that lower range, as well as shift a bit in the mids as the same time. 

If you're talking the total bubble with that many drivers, to my knowledge it hasn't been done at this point. With the bubble, there's just not that much need for all those BAs. So possible? Maybe? Needed? I'm not so sure.

We'll just have to see how that project progresses!

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #4,933 of 9,124

Even with the B1 module, I still think the A12 has loads of bass. I'm hoping the MAM will allow even further adjustment in the same direction.

I really had to make changes to the associated equipment to get this tonally where I want it.

I changed from Calyx to Hifiman 901S. Also TWag silver cable. I also have the TWag gold over silver cable and this sis still dark.

So now I have the B1 module with the 901S and silver cable and it is unbelievable. I have great bass, huge soundstage, and treble that I never heard from he A12 before. I don't mean like the treble is a little better. I mean that cymbals that sound like cymbals.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #4,934 of 9,124
  The closest we've come to that is the bubble tips on the U series (normally a 12) with the MAMs, to dial down the bass a bit. I know Stephen has put those tips on a set of U10s, but I haven't heard those. I know a number of people have thought it would be perfect if they could have something somewhere between the 10 and 12, which I can understand for some stuff (I like a bit more bass than some people). However, I really think that the 12 with the B1 fills that gaps really nicely. The MAM will allow to further dial in that lower range, as well as shift a bit in the mids as the same time. 

If you're talking the total bubble with that many drivers, to my knowledge it hasn't been done at this point. With the bubble, there's just not that much need for all those BAs. So possible? Maybe? Needed? I'm not so sure.

We'll just have to see how that project progresses!

Thank you again for your quick response, I am actually considering your advise on getting a U12/10 first. How does the U12 with bubble compare with the A12? What are the improvements if any? Are there any improvements vs the 2 driver bubble demo?

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #4,935 of 9,124
  Thank you again for your quick response, I am actually considering your advise on getting a U12/10 first. How does the U12 with bubble compare with the A12? What are the improvements if any? Are there any improvements vs the 2 driver bubble demo?

The hybrid tips on the 12 sounds...3D. Best way I can put it. Sorta like how an over ear like the LCD4 gives that extra rumble of low end through the surrounds on your head, it delivers that like. Only you feel it in your chest a bit. I love my A12s, but it sounds 2D compared to the bubble tips on the 12s, I apologize if that's not descriptive enough, but it's the best I've got. Big over ears with some mass to their sound, compared to ear buds that give a flatter, vibration-less sound delivery. That's the bubble hybrid tips compared to my A12s. I've heard every flagship IEM out there right now and the 12 is my favorite. The bubble tips are the only thing that I've heard that improve even upon that. Normally when Stephen has me listen to something new, I give it back to him within 5-10 minutes after I get a feel for it....I didn't give the Bubble tipped 12s back to him for 2 hours. They're able to deliver sub lows that Sunn O))) uses alot, that no other IEM (A12 included) can really display right. I don't know if you're into drone metal at all, but if you give Sunn O))) a listen, you might get what I'm referring to and why it's a sound that IEMs have a hard time replicating (hence why I use them as my final test for gear).

Perhaps anybody that listened to them at CanJam SoCal can chime in with their impressions, to give a more unbiased stand point. Maybe they didn't get that difference at all, that's just the way that I hear it when I listen to that set up.

Ok the 2 driver full bubble, it's not tuned, they're simply a pair of drivers we took out of another dual driver IEM to show principal. However with that said, the clarity is unreal. That's where it really one ups the current IEMs and the bubble hybrids. I think a 3 driver configuration with a bass driver would be ideal, since it's really bass lite right now. But again, it's just a prototype to show what is possible and it's EXTREMELY promising.

I really look forward to when Vitaliy makes it his priority and uses his magic on that setup. I'm sure the results will be the best sounding IEM available. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back