1964 Ears Adel IEMs
May 10, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #5,146 of 9,124
May 10, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #5,147 of 9,124
Nice pics! One thing I've often wondered about my A12's was the driver orientation, I had them in for a crack repair and when I get them back the drivers in the one that was repaired shifted positions. When they were sent off for repair they were like yours, big bass drivers at the bottom, mids in the middle and high drivers near the top. Now the mids and highs have swapped places in the left one. Would that affect the coherence-how well yheir FR's align?

Did you notice any sound difference between the L and R? If not, then I would say it's fine.

May 10, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #5,149 of 9,124
Any Custom IEM owners with a sharp 1st Bend in their ears? I have a sharp and a narrow 1st bend and it is really challenging to get the IEMs in an out.. Any best practices? I even read theheadphonelist.com's guide to Custom IEM. I am using the twist motion but it doesn't help..

May 10, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #5,150 of 9,124
  Any Custom IEM owners with a sharp 1st Bend in their ears? I have a sharp and a narrow 1st bend and it is really challenging to get the IEMs in an out.. Any best practices? I even read theheadphonelist.com's guide to Custom IEM. I am using the twist motion but it doesn't help..

Lube it up! :)  If you don't have a special ear lube, K-Y works or just give yourself a wet willy
biggrin.gif
  I have the same problem in my left year, and end up asking CIEMs manufacturers to make nozzle shorter to avoid that bend.  Otherwise, I use twist motion as well with my CIEMs.

May 10, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #5,151 of 9,124
Lol, most of my listening is at my desk in the office. So you can see why K-Y and wet willies may not the best option. May be I will look into some ear lubes. For me its the opposite, its my right IEM. But I think the right is going to need a refit. Also, is there something like a break-in time for your ears to get used to this new tight fit of the Customs. My ears feel so relieved everytime I remove the IEM to let them breathe.

May 10, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #5,152 of 9,124
Could anyone who has both U12 or U10 and Angie help to give a comparison between them? I am thinking about buying myself a TOTL item. Currently I am using fx850 (modded). Actually I quite like it. I have briefly demoed ie800/se846/k3003, while they are different I wouldn't say they are an upgrade from my fx850. So I think I need go to a higher level to see an upgrade to my fx850. Through reading different reviews/feedbacks, I am considering to buy U12 or Angie. Could anyone help to give some advices? Thanks!

May 10, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #5,153 of 9,124
It’s good that you know that, what you heard was not necessarily an upgrade but, a different signature. Many times we hear a different sound signature and, we end up thinking it is an upgrade. For me, an upgrade means a noticeable improvement in the technical capabilities of the IEM, without making the IEM sound bright, to give an impression that it has more clarity. Given that our brain can be easily tricked into believing that, the new IEM is more clear, or having more details due to brighter sound or thin notes, I have started relying on other technical aspects such as: instrument separation and layering, transparency and timbre(how natural an instrument or vocals sound), soundstage and imaging.

Law of diminishing returns kicks in hard once we cross the $300 range. My tape-modded IE80 and the U10 and U12 share many similarities, and so the improvement I perceive on my A10 is because, I know my IE80 very well and I can pick those fine nuances in tracks that I know does not exist in the IE80. If I were to ask my wife (who is not into headphones) to blind test an IE80 and U10, I am sure she may not be able to tell these apart.

I was also considering Angie initially. Until I came across a post in this thread a few months back, where the poster said that, to him/her, the U12 was better than the Angie and ended up selling his/her Angie. I have read great many things about Angie, especially about its Mids (Vocals in particular) and I hope to try it someday. I have not tried too many TOTL IEMs, but few members who have tried many TOTL IEMs, say that the Mids on the U12 is special. After comparing the U10 and the U12, I preferred the Mids of the U10 as I found the U12’s Mids to be on the thicker side for my tastes. I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I highly suggest you to try and demo before you make your purchase. Even if that means waiting for a few months or taking a trip to a Canjam or Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. For all you know, you might end up liking the Angie more.

My U10, U12 comparison: http://www.head-fi.org/t/739712/1964-ears-adel-iems/4665#post_12489190

May 11, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #5,154 of 9,124
EagleWings thank you very much for your comprehensive information! I don't have strong preference in signature but certainly I don't like bright ones. Unfortunately I am in Sydney so I won't be able to join those events. There are places here where I can demo u12 or Angie but won't be able to do that side by side. And also as I may end up buying used pair (the u12 price in Australia is a little bit ...), I feel a little bit guilty of just demoing without buying anything.
Yes, for an update, I expect to enjoy music more with it and expect it to reveal more details of the music in accurate and pleasant way. Transparency and soundstage are easier to perceive. However, until recentlyI started to recognise what's imaging, what's timber. Yes, for an update, I expect the new would be better in most of these areas if not all.

May 11, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #5,155 of 9,124
  It’s good that you know that, what you heard was not necessarily an upgrade but, a different signature. Many times we hear a different sound signature and, we end up thinking it is an upgrade. For me, an upgrade means a noticeable improvement in the technical capabilities of the IEM, without making the IEM sound bright, to give an impression that it has more clarity. Given that our brain can be easily tricked into believing that, the new IEM is more clear, or having more details due to brighter sound or thin notes, I have started relying on other technical aspects such as: instrument separation and layering, transparency and timbre(how natural an instrument or vocals sound), soundstage and imaging.

Law of diminishing returns kicks in hard once we cross the $300 range. My tape-modded IE80 and the U10 and U12 share many similarities, and so the improvement I perceive on my A10 is because, I know my IE80 very well and I can pick those fine nuances in tracks that I know does not exist in the IE80. If I were to ask my wife (who is not into headphones) to blind test an IE80 and U10, I am sure she may not be able to tell these apart.

I was also considering Angie initially. Until I came across a post in this thread a few months back, where the poster said that, to him/her, the U12 was better than the Angie and ended up selling his/her Angie. I have read great many things about Angie, especially about its Mids (Vocals in particular) and I hope to try it someday. I have not tried too many TOTL IEMs, but few members who have tried many TOTL IEMs, say that the Mids on the U12 is special. After comparing the U10 and the U12, I preferred the Mids of the U10 as I found the U12’s Mids to be on the thicker side for my tastes. I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I highly suggest you to try and demo before you make your purchase. Even if that means waiting for a few months or taking a trip to a Canjam or Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. For all you know, you might end up liking the Angie more.

My U10, U12 comparison: http://www.head-fi.org/t/739712/1964-ears-adel-iems/4665#post_12489190

Curious if you have since given B1 or MAM modules a try ? Would your review change with these new modules ?

@EagleWings thank you very much for your comprehensive information! I don't have strong preference in signature but certainly I don't like bright ones. Unfortunately I am in Sydney so I won't be able to join those events. There are places here where I can demo u12 or Angie but won't be able to do that side by side. And also as I may end up buying used pair (the u12 price in Australia is a little bit ...), I feel a little bit guilty of just demoing without buying anything.
Yes, for an update, I expect to enjoy music more with it and expect it to reveal more details of the music in accurate and pleasant way. Transparency and soundstage are easier to perceive. However, until recentlyI started to recognise what's imaging, what's timber. Yes, for an update, I expect the new would be better in most of these areas if not all.

@jackyzhu U6 or U8 are also worthwhile considerations if you find U12 is priced too high. I personally find MAM is a great option, if you enjoy bass heavy tuning - tune the MAM closed, if you want a wider soundstage and transparency - tune the MAM open.

Following my initial set of MAM (right module) having issues, I have since received a new replacement set from Steve. Thoroughly enjoying U12 with a working set of MAM, picking up details from tunes I have never so clearly heard before.

May 11, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #5,156 of 9,124
Curious if you have since given B1 or MAM modules a try ? Would your review change with these new modules ?

@jackyzhu
U6 or U8 are also worthwhile considerations if you find U12 is priced too high. I personally find MAM is a great option, if you enjoy bass heavy tuning - tune the MAM closed, if you want a wider soundstage and transparency - tune the MAM open.

Following my initial set of MAM (right module) having issues, I have since received a new replacement set from Steve. Thoroughly enjoying U12 with a working set of MAM, picking up details from tunes I have never so clearly heard before.

I agree with the U6 recommendation. Having extensively auditioned the entire 64 audio range, I actually found the U6s to sound the most balanced. Theyre like a less bassy version of the U12s.

I work in Sydney and would be happy to meet up so you can audition the U6s.

May 11, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #5,157 of 9,124
I agree with the U6 recommendation. Having extensively auditioned the entire 64 audio range, I actually found the U6s to sound the most balanced. Theyre like a less bassy version of the U12s.

I work in Sydney and would be happy to meet up so you can audition the U6s.

Thank you! Sounds really great! I work in CBD area, will PM you.

May 11, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #5,158 of 9,124
@EagleWings thank you very much for your comprehensive information! I don't have strong preference in signature but certainly I don't like bright ones. Unfortunately I am in Sydney so I won't be able to join those events. There are places here where I can demo u12 or Angie but won't be able to do that side by side. And also as I may end up buying used pair (the u12 price in Australia is a little bit ...), I feel a little bit guilty of just demoing without buying anything.

No problem. And I understand what you mean by 'feel a little bit guilty of just demoing without buying anything'. But in case you change your mind and want to demo the U12 and Angie, check out these posts by a member, who if I am not wrong, is in Aussie as well, and you can ask him if that store also has the Angie:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/739712/1964-ears-adel-iems/3825#post_12385582

http://www.head-fi.org/t/739712/1964-ears-adel-iems/3855#post_12390417

And yes, it definitely would be a step-up/upgrade in many aspects. But just not night and day difference. Good luck!

May 11, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #5,159 of 9,124

Eric, I never had a chance to compare S1 and B1 side by side. My A10 came with the B1 module. While the demos I tried, came with the S1 modules and it was nearly a month ago I had those, so I can only go by my memory. I hear very little to no difference between U10+S1 and A10+B1. Which makes logical sense because, the Custom version will always has more perceived bass because of the tighter seal than the universal counterpart. Now it seems like, the extra bass I would have perceived on my custom A10 was tamed dowm by the B1 module that, to me, sounds like the A10+B1 sounds not so different from the U10+S1.

I won't be updating my impression on the U10 and U12. But my actual review of the A10 that I will write soon will be based on the B1. And since I never had the chance to compare S1 and B1 modules side by side on the very same IEM, I won't be able to offer any insights on what improvements/changes the B1 brings to the table. But I will say this though, the effect of ADEL seems to be more pronounced on the Custom version. With the A10 in my ears, when I try to remove the B1 module out bit by bit, I can feel like, quoting Twister6 here: 'opening the window'. I did not experience variations to the same degree when I tried the same on the U10.

And I feel, because of the tighter seal on my custom, it feels a bit closed-in and slightly less airy than the U10.

May 11, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #5,160 of 9,124

Eric, I never had a chance to compare S1 and B1 side by side. My A10 came with the B1 module. While the demos I tried, came with the S1 modules and it was nearly a month ago I had those, so I can only go by my memory. I hear very little to no difference between U10+S1 and A10+B1. Which makes logical sense because, the Custom version will always has more perceived bass because of the tighter seal than the universal counterpart. Now it seems like, the extra bass I would have perceived on my custom A10 was tamed dowm by the B1 module that, to me, sounds like the A10+B1 sounds not so different from the U10+S1.

I won't be updating my impression on the U10 and U12. But my actual review of the A10 that I will write soon will be based on the B1. And since I never had the chance to compare S1 and B1 modules side by side on the very same IEM, I won't be able to offer any insights on what improvements/changes the B1 brings to the table. But I will say this though, the effect of ADEL seems to be more pronounced on the Custom version. With the A10 in my ears, when I try to remove the B1 module out bit by bit, I can feel like, quoting Twister6 here: 'opening the window'. I did not experience variations to the same degree when I tried the same on the U10.

And I feel, because of the tighter seal on my custom, it feels a bit closed-in and slightly less airy than the U10.

I think it has more to do with your tip of choice. If you find one that really works for you, it should rival the custom fits in pretty much every way. Finding the right tips for your ears is the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back