1964 Ears Adel IEMs
May 7, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #5,116 of 9,124
Just remember that you loose a lot of bass when you go outside and are in loud environments like the subway.  It might be too bass light with the B1.  S1 and MAM have two membranes so they provide better isolation than the B1.  MAM fully closed would offer the most isolation. 

May 7, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #5,117 of 9,124
  Just remember that you loose a lot of bass when you go outside and are in loud environments like the subway.  It might be too bass light with the B1.  S1 and MAM have two membranes so they provide better isolation than the B1.  MAM fully closed would offer the most isolation. 

You're half right. The MAM is only a single membrane, but it has a basket that moves along the threaded thumbscrew, that seals/opens the 6 ambient holes at the top of the module. That basket also works to tension the membrane, or not tension the membrane (allowing for a floppy membrane).

May 7, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #5,119 of 9,124

I have the B1 and A12 and walk through Manhattan to get to my office and the bass is plentiful and certainly enough isolation.

May 7, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #5,121 of 9,124
Looks like the V6S and V8 too have been discontinued..

The V6-Stage is my favorite IEM, but I'm thinking about upgrading to A6/U6 or maybe A8/U8.

May 9, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #5,122 of 9,124
So after having the U12 for a month and a half now (or thereabouts), I finally feel good about heaping some compliments on this IEM. It's been a struggle for me to get the best out of it, and initially I was so unimpressed and disappointed in the sound that I was going to return it. Big mistake that would've been! First of all, I found fit quite tricky to get an ideal seal. It took experimenting at length with all the tips I have, and realizing that since the nozzle is so freakishly long that pushing the tips down as far as they'd go was the thing to do (and I mean so that the front edges of the nozzles are totally flush with the front surface of the tips). The tips I landed on are UE900 replacement single flange silicone. They have a wide open bore and allow the details and soundstage to really open up. 

Sound-wise at first I felt there was a pretty hefty veil over the mids and highs, and a sense of smeared details (which I thought couldn't be right at all with all the positive things I'd read about the sound-- unanimously). But this seemed totally off to me, and like something had to be amiss in the mix of equipment. This was happening using the U12 with the Questyle QP1R, which again was bizarre because every other phone I'd used on it gave amazing sound. So I thought I'd just plug it into the basic iPhone 6+. Surprisingly that was much, much better and the details sharpened up and things got more open sounding. The only thing I can think was going on was an impedance mismatch possibly. Whatever it was, that pairing just didn't play well. I also had my ZX2 sitting around (had been collecting dust with the QP1R getting all the use of late), and great result out of that as well. Recently I picked up a SPC cable by the member here Wfanning, and wow does that give the U12 another nice jolt with detailing and space. So with the UE900 tips, and the Wfanning SPC cable, I'm definitely a happy camper.....

The thing that amazes me most of all currently about the U12 is the midrange. It is just so full, weighted, and properly placed... with far and away the best and most right tonality to vocals that I've ever heard from just about any phone. That midrange... jeez... glorious. I mean it kicks the snot out of the mids from the FL8Cs with the gold nozzle in place (and that was the best vocals/midrange by a good margin prior to the U12). The other thing I guess is how mellow yet detailed things are. There's never any glare, or sense it's trying 'so hard' to be ultra detailed. It's 100% easy to listen to for extended sessions.

I have a very different experience from you. I feel that if the eartips are sit flushed to the opening of the nozzle, the midrange sounds muddy. So what I did was to add a spacer and so that there is some space between the bore and the tips itself like in the pictures below.

This way, the midsound is more detailed and clear.

I felt that my U12 is best paired with my QP1R. With DPX1, it sounded a little too boring. With QP1R, it is very detailed and musical.

May 9, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #5,123 of 9,124
I have a very different experience from you. I feel that if the eartips are sit flushed to the opening of the nozzle, the midrange sounds muddy. So what I did was to add a spacer and so that there is some space between the bore and the tips itself like in the pictures below.

This way, the midsound is more detailed and clear.

I felt that my U12 is best paired with my QP1R. With DPX1, it sounded a little too boring. With QP1R, it is very detailed and musical.

Looks like you are using the Spinfit tips ... I do something similar as well but without the spacers. Just by not fully insert the Spinfits, so that the tips works as it is designed to ... essentially allowing the tip to shape to the ear canal. Fully inserting the Spinfits will restrict any rotation, hence the sound can be muddled.

Last but not least, you should consider B1 module or MAM (when it becomes available), it will tighten the sub-bass and improve sound stage even further. A must have if you enjoy detailed clarity !

May 9, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #5,124 of 9,124

Looks like you are using the Spinfit tips ... I do something similar as well but without the spacers. Just by not fully insert the Spinfits, so that the tips works as it is designed to ... essentially allowing the tip to shape to the ear canal. Fully inserting the Spinfits will restrict any rotation, hence the sound can be muddled.

Last but not least, you should consider B1 module or MAM (when it becomes available), it will tighten the sub-bass and improve sound stage even further. A must have if you enjoy detailed clarity !

Nope, I'm not using Spinfits. In fact, I feel Spinfits degrades the sound. This is the Paiaudio MR2 eartips. I normally swap between the Shozy Zero eartips and the MR2 eartips. So far, they sound the best according to my taste. And yes, I'm looking forward to get the B1 modules.

May 9, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #5,127 of 9,124
Old Comply Foam core. Remove the foam and cut to suitable length.

When did you purchase your U12? And how is it that the color of the shell is different from the ones they are shipping now which is black.

May 9, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #5,129 of 9,124
Just picked the package up from FedEx Office..

IEM Model: A10
ADEL Module: B1 
Shell Color: Charcoal
Faceplate Color: Charcoal

May 9, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #5,130 of 9,124
Hi, I have a set of MAM modules and the left and right modules sit differently inside the tube. The right sticks up a little and the left sits all the way flush so no metal sticks up (so when you look from the side you only see the screw).

Does this matter? Is it how it's supposed to be? The S1s originally both sit so a little sticks up.

+1, my MAM modules are similar.. manufacture defects?

Also, since receiving the MAM, and having to remove the S1, I noticed that the membranes are different between the two S1 modules, one looks right the other doesn't.  I'll try to take a picture soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back