1964 Ears Adel IEMs
May 12, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #5,176 of 9,124

And for these reasons, I decided to take the custom route and got the A10. 

To me the only downside of customs is that you can't share the magic. =( Things have improved with 3D printing to where if the impressions are done correctly, fit issues are much less common nowadays.

May 12, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #5,177 of 9,124

I'd have to agree with you. It can be fun. I had fun with my IE80 trying out tips and mods.

But it can get frustrating in a circumstance when, you buy a very good IEM and, it is not working out for you because of the tips. Either, the tips that fit the IEM do not fit your ears perfectly, or vice versa. I am sure there would be a tip out there that would work. But you may have to buy and try so many tips. You could either get lucky with the first tip you purchase or might end up nowhere. (Had one such experience a few months back, but never cared to buy additional tips)

Or you can sit here and demand they release the bubble now!

May 12, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #5,179 of 9,124
Received my MAM in the post today. Sadly, there is a problem with mine. The right module is easy to turn but the left module is so rigid I can barely turn it. So far it has been frustrating trying to adjust them.

Also, is the MAM suppose to have a red or blue band indicating the side? I only have a red or blue dot near the bottom of the module that seems to be mark with a marker pen. https://goo.gl/photos/BQDrasSZHnL6JBhB9

May 12, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #5,180 of 9,124
  Received my MAM in the post today. Sadly, there is a problem with mine. The right module is easy to turn but the left module is so rigid I can barely turn it. So far it has been frustrating trying to adjust them.

Also, is the MAM suppose to have a red or blue band indicating the side? I only have a red or blue dot near the bottom of the module that seems to be mark with a marker pen. https://goo.gl/photos/BQDrasSZHnL6JBhB9

Seemed like I remember Canyon runner saying something about a lock-tite like compound they use on the inside of the MAM's, I wouldn't crank on it.  Might be best to wait until Canyon can respond to you.

May 12, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #5,181 of 9,124

Hmmm I'm trying to think of a reason they might be stiffening up during shipping, but can't come up with anything. So best bet is just swap MAMs with me and I'll get you taken care of. So I'll PM you and get it lined up.

As for the dots, all kickstarter MAMs have dots on them to indicate left & right. The bands in the photo are the retail ones, I have about 500 pairs awaiting the new colored top bands in the lab. We had a number of ideas for indicating left & right sides, but didn't want that to delay fulfilling the kickstarter backer from getting their MAMs any longer.

May 12, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #5,182 of 9,124
  Or you can sit here and demand they release the bubble now!

Or enjoy my customs
wink.gif

May 12, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #5,183 of 9,124
May 13, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #5,184 of 9,124
As an ENT physician and audiophile, I have to say ADEL at heart is a modified vent. I think if you were to graph the effect of the different modules on a graph, it will dampen certain frequencies to different degree. To understand vent in a traditional hearing aid read this article http://www.hearingreview.com/2006/02/fitting-tips-how-do-vents-affect-hearing-aid-performance/​. Look at Figure 2. When you create a vent hole or any dampening affect on the IEM side, it always drops the low frequency first.  The larger the hole the more you dampen the low freq, the more compliant the diaphragm is as in the ADEL modules, the more you dampen the low freq. The physics and anatomy are such that you cannot electively dampen the high frequency first. The whole thing with more soundstaging and 3D imaging is just marketing. I wish sometimes  manufacturers can be more transparent about this. If you ever get a custom sleeve made for IEM and ask them to leave a large vent hole on the custom sleeve, you can get different size plugs for the vent hole. By dampening the low-frequency, it will create the sense of more wide open sound stage. I have had 2 made by Westone for IE80 and XBA-Z5.

I still think what 1964 Ears is doing is an excellent idea. Other manufacturers should have done this a long time ago, but it's not some novel, revolutionary technology. It's a good adaptation of a long existing understanding of how the ear canal transfers sound. Whether it's worth the extra $ it's all up to the end users. The A12 is on my list as one of the next CIEM choices.

May 13, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #5,185 of 9,124
  As an ENT physician and audiophile, I have to say ADEL at heart is a modified vent. I think if you were to graph the affect of the different modules on a graph, it will dampen certain frequencies to different degree. To understand vent in a traditional hearing aid read this article http://www.hearingreview.com/2006/02/fitting-tips-how-do-vents-affect-hearing-aid-performance/ . When you create a vent hole or any dampening affect on the IEM side, it always drops the low frequency first.  The larger the whole the more you dampen the low freq, the more compliant the diaphragm as in the ADEL modules, the more you dampen the low freq. The physics and anatomy are such that you cannot electively dampen the high frequency first. The whole thing with more soundstaging and 3D imaging is just marketing. I wish sometimes  manufacturers can be more transparent about this. If you ever get a custom sleeve made for IEM and ask them to leave a large vent hole on the custom sleeve, you can get different size plugs for the vent hole. By dampening the low-frequency will give the sense of more wide open sound stage. I have had 2 made by Westone for IE80 and XBA-Z5.

I still think what 1964 Ears is doing is an excellent idea. Other manufacturers should have done this a long time ago, but it's not some novel, revolutionary technology. Whether it's worth the extra $ it's all up to the end users.

Thanks for providing the article link. However, it appears to be broken. 

Here's the corrected link to the article - Fitting Tips: How Do Vents Affect Hearing Aid Performance?

May 13, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #5,186 of 9,124
  As an ENT physician and audiophile, I have to say ADEL at heart is a modified vent. I think if you were to graph the affect of the different modules on a graph, it will dampen certain frequencies to different degree. To understand vent in a traditional hearing aid read this article http://www.hearingreview.com/2006/02/fitting-tips-how-do-vents-affect-hearing-aid-performance/​. When you create a vent hole or any dampening affect on the IEM side, it always drops the low frequency first.  The larger the whole the more you dampen the low freq, the more compliant the diaphragm as in the ADEL modules, the more you dampen the low freq. The physics and anatomy are such that you cannot electively dampen the high frequency first. The whole thing with more soundstaging and 3D imaging is just marketing. I wish sometimes  manufacturers can be more transparent about this. If you ever get a custom sleeve made for IEM and ask them to leave a large vent hole on the custom sleeve, you can get different size plugs for the vent hole. By dampening the low-frequency will give the sense of more wide open sound stage. I have had 2 made by Westone for IE80 and XBA-Z5.

I still think what 1964 Ears is doing is an excellent idea. Other manufacturers should have done this a long time ago, but it's not some novel, revolutionary technology. Whether it's worth the extra $ it's all up to the end users.

The ADEL technology is designed to reduce PNEUMATIC pressure which is greatest in low frequencies.  Most people who have tried the ADEL A series and U series have said that there is great soundstaging and 3D imaging.  Whether that's due to ADEL or just the way they are designed it doesn't matter.  The manufacture can twist whatever words they want for marketing but if the end users are reporting those things then it's harder to refute.  All IMO.

May 13, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #5,187 of 9,124
  The ADEL technology is designed to reduce PNEUMATIC pressure which is greatest with low frequencies.  Most people who have tried the ADEL A series and U series have said that there is great soundstaging and 3D imaging.  Whether that's due to ADEL or just the way they are designed it doesn't matter.  The manufacture can twist whatever words they want for marketing but if the end users are reporting those things then it's harder to refute.  All IMO.

I'm not saying the soundstaging and 3D imaging are not real. As a matter of a fact, I know it's real. It's like a closed vs open headphones. ADEL basically makes the IEMs semi-open. I personally want A12 as the next CIEM. All manufacturers will color their product to a certain degree. I'm just trying to let the current and potential owners know what truly is happening here. However, it bothers me for 1964 Ears to state that ADEL is a new technology vs an application and modification of a well-established technology.​

May 13, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #5,188 of 9,124
Okay,, so got my Mojo today.. My A10 sounds really amazing now.. This IEM definitely needs a good source to shine..

May 13, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #5,189 of 9,124
As an ENT physician and audiophile, I have to say ADEL at heart is a modified vent. I think if you were to graph the effect of the different modules on a graph, it will dampen certain frequencies to different degree. To understand vent in a traditional hearing aid read this article http://www.hearingreview.com/2006/02/fitting-tips-how-do-vents-affect-hearing-aid-performance/​. Look at Figure 2. When you create a vent hole or any dampening affect on the IEM side, it always drops the low frequency first.  The larger the hole the more you dampen the low freq, the more compliant the diaphragm is as in the ADEL modules, the more you dampen the low freq. The physics and anatomy are such that you cannot electively dampen the high frequency first. The whole thing with more soundstaging and 3D imaging is just marketing. I wish sometimes  manufacturers can be more transparent about this. If you ever get a custom sleeve made for IEM and ask them to leave a large vent hole on the custom sleeve, you can get different size plugs for the vent hole. By dampening the low-frequency, it will create the sense of more wide open sound stage. I have had 2 made by Westone for IE80 and XBA-Z5.

I still think what 1964 Ears is doing is an excellent idea. Other manufacturers should have done this a long time ago, but it's not some novel, revolutionary technology. It's a good adaptation of a long existing understanding of how the ear canal transfers sound. Whether it's worth the extra $ it's all up to the end users. The A12 is on my list as one of the next CIEM choices.

What's wrong with marketing? The only time that's a problem is when it bulls**t. However the soundstage and imaging on my A-12's are absolutely amazing. I've owned Noble K-10's and the Roxannes. None of these come close in this respect. Actually better than the LCD-2's as well.

May 13, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #5,190 of 9,124
  I'm not saying the soundstaging and 3D imaging are not real. As a matter of a fact, I know it's real. It's like a closed vs open headphones. ADEL basically makes the IEMs semi-open. I personally want A12 as the next CIEM. All manufacturers will color their product to a certain degree. I'm just trying to let the current and potential owners know what truly is happening here. However, it bothers me for 1964 Ears to state that ADEL is a new technology vs an application and modification of a well-established technology.​

I can play a song that exhibits a wide sound stage over and over with my A12's, swapping modules between B1 and S1.  I can tell a difference between the apparent distance the sounds are coming from.  The S1 sounds like it's just outside my head, the B1 sounds probably 1.5"'s wider, this is not my imagination.  I don't know how it works but it does.

What do you think about the bubble they've developed?  As an ENT I would think it would be amazing as you don't have to tell patients with nerve damage that they can't hear anymore and that's that.  I'm assuming that's what happens now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back