1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Mar 24, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #4,246 of 9,124
  How does the sizing compare to spinfits?  I'm currently using the medium spinfits.

for example spin fit i use large, and with rha i use medium

but really u gotta try both large and medium

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #4,248 of 9,124
Ok, about the cables, I'm a bit surprised that people having concerns about the cheap generic disposable ofc cable and consider it as a deal breaker to buy 64 Audio $1k-$2k monitors.  Majority of premium IEMs/CIEMs come with these cheap disposable cables (though, Noble for example uses a little more expensive SPC), 64 Audio sells replacements for $30 a pop or you can get a "tour package" of 5-pack with cleaning tools and other accessories for under $150.  I'm also sure under warranty you can get a replacement, and I wouldn't be surprised if they will help you after warranty expires.  These are not custom high quality cables, they are cheap and break sooner or later.  IEMs/CIEMs manufacturers don't use premium cables to keep the cost down, and also because many people who invest into $1k-$2k monitors probably will upgrade the cable anyway.  We are not talking about $1k Effects Audio cable or $800 Beat Audio cable or $300-$500 Whiplash Audio cables or $100-$200 Linum cables or other boutique custom made $100-$400 (Ted's, DHC, Toxic, Moon, Norne, etc).  And Thank God these cables are replaceable!!!

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #4,249 of 9,124
  Ok, about the cables, I'm a bit surprised that people having concerns about the cheap generic disposable ofc cable and consider it as a deal breaker to buy 64 Audio $1k-$2k monitors.  Majority of premium IEMs/CIEMs come with these cheap disposable cables (though, Noble for example uses a little more expensive SPC), 64 Audio sells replacements for $30 a pop or you can get a "tour package" of 5-pack with cleaning tools and other accessories for under $150.  I'm also sure under warranty you can get a replacement, and I wouldn't be surprised if they will help you after warranty expires.  These are not custom high quality cables, they are cheap and break sooner or later.  IEMs/CIEMs manufacturers don't use premium cables to keep the cost down, and also because many people who invest into $1k-$2k monitors probably will upgrade the cable anyway.  We are not talking about $1k Effects Audio cable or $800 Beat Audio cable or $300-$500 Whiplash Audio cables or $100-$200 Linum cables or other boutique custom made $100-$400 (Ted's, DHC, Toxic, Moon, Norne, etc).  And Thank God these cables are replaceable!!!

So, I've never used an upgraded cable, as I always found them to be overpriced in my opinion. Not gonna get into a debate about whether they are worth it or not, but with my budget, I would rather get a good DAC or upgrade to a better IEM. What would you guys rank as a very good cables in the $150 - $300 range? I don't see myself ever spending $500+ for some of the cables that have been recommended here. 

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #4,250 of 9,124
Which cable does ghe best job of lifting the veil of the A12?

Veil? On the 12's? Personally, I have never by any stretch considered mine to be veiled. On the contrary, they sound very lifelike.

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #4,251 of 9,124

The thing is Alex - I paid ~ $600 for an IEM.  For that I expect a cable that's going to last.  I baby my gear.  I always have.  The cable has lasted less than a year. I'm sure 1964Ears will contact me (I've emailed them) to make it right. I was hoping it was a simple manufacturers defect - but it appears quite a few others have similar stories.  Trying to pass it off as "OK" is not right.

I'm waiting now for their reply.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #4,252 of 9,124

The thing is Alex - I paid ~ $600 for an IEM.  For that I expect a cable that's going to last.  I baby my gear.  I always have.  The cable has lasted less than a year. I'm sure 1964Ears will contact me (I've emailed them) to make it right. I was hoping it was a simple manufacturers defect - but it appears quite a few others have similar stories.  Trying to pass it off as "OK" is not right.

I'm waiting now for their reply.

I hear ya Paul, and I do complete understand that others in this thread who also paid $2k and got the same generic cable with a problem - have concerns now.  Trust me mate, regardless of the fact that I received my pair as a review unit, I'm not downplaying the issue.  Actually, my reply was not directed at you but rather at a few people who had their doubts about 64 Audio IEMs based on a cable comments.  To be honest, I have a feeling that many manufacturers don't pay attention to the cable, it's an add-on they buy in bulk from some Chinese supplier.  I have half a dozen of these cables from different IEMs and they all look identical, just a different headphone jack.  And all off them use the same 2pin mold and memory wire piece which honestly doesn't look like it will last for a long time.  If you listen at home and keep your IEMs/CIEMs out of the case, you don't have to constantly re-shape memory wire which can possibly contribute to the issue.  The same if you don't have to constantly remove the cables, but of course there are exceptions.  But regardless of the use, the cable and the connector shouldn't break that easily.  I think this is a good feedback to 64 Audio to switch to another cable supplier who has a better QC.  It would be different, for example, if you are dealing with Campfire IEMs where Ken manufactures his own ALO cables.  Or AAW who uses a high quality aftermarket cables, or JH stuff which has contract with Moon audio to manufacture their cables with built-in bass adjustment.  Here, I like the look of the translucent silver generic cable 64 Audio included with A12, but in reality those are sold/bought in bulk and probably don't have the greatest QC.

Not defending 64 Audio, but rather encouraging them to take a closer look into all the cable claims and see if it makes sense to find another generic cable supplier.  Also, makes me wonder if more people have issues with their cables and just not reporting it, thinking its a generic, disposable, expected...

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #4,254 of 9,124
my solemn advise, I have jvc tips, they seal poorly no matter what size, get RHA dual silicon tips man

i have comply, jvc spiral, sony hybrids, spinfit, sureseal, westone, shure olives, I have them all in different sizes

the best tips for sound and seal are RHA tips end of story

I've got all those tips too. For me, the best are the Spiral dots end of story. Why is it hard for you to understand different anatomies will require different shaped tips for the best seal?

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #4,255 of 9,124
To be fair to 64, about possible cable issues, I have never (and I do mean never) encountered a product on head-fi which is beyond reproach / utterly perfect / 100% flawless. Life just isn't that pristine.

Generally-speaking, it's how a company responds to an issue that influences my opinion of them, in relation to any unforeseen flaws that arise.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #4,256 of 9,124
Its just amusing after you've watched Head-fi long enough.

The moment a thread steers off course or heads into the danger zone (for example a negative impression or these cable issues) the owners/fans feel like they need to quickly push the train back on its tracks before we all plummet into an eternity of fire, lava and everything bad. Quite obvious its to save the thread for future readers. And honestly I don't dislike anyone in this thread, everyone I consider great people. (and it happens in many threadz)

Just a H20 observation after years on Head-fi...

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #4,257 of 9,124

The moment a thread steers off course or heads into the danger zone (for example a negative impression or these cable issues) the owners/fans feel like they need to quickly push the train back on its tracks before we all plummet into an eternity of fire, lava and everything bad. Quite obvious its to save the thread for future readers.

LOL - I hear what you're saying, but, if I may just address my own, above, post, in relation to your (understandable!) cynicism, I hope you can see that I'm only being reasonable & pragmatic about the cables issue.

It should be quite evident from my earlier posts about crossfeed effects that I'm neither a 64 fanboy, nor a hater, so I don't feel any particular obligation to push a 64 train back on its tracks - I was just being pragmatic that nothing in life is 100% perfect, and it's how a company handles issues, if & when they arise, that (to a significant degree) defines whether they truly care about the customers who keep them in business, and whether or not they are worthy of doing business with.
beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #4,258 of 9,124
My post wasn't focused towards anyone directly, honestly.

And I'm laying in bed right now with a huge smile on my face.

Off we go guys! Onwards with the all positive entirely happy train! :wink:

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #4,260 of 9,124

The moment a thread steers off course or heads into the danger zone (for example a negative impression or these cable issues) the owners/fans feel like they need to quickly push the train back on its tracks before we all plummet into an eternity of fire, lava and everything bad. Quite obvious its to save the thread for future readers. And honestly I don't dislike anyone in this thread, everyone I consider great people. (and it happens in many threadz)

Just a H20 observation after years on Head-fi...

Sure, Luke, call me guilty as charged for pushing it back on track, m8
wink.gif
  And I do that in dozens of threads of other products I reviewed, on a daily basis because I want to be fair, not to BS with "omg, I don't have a problem with my pair, thus nothing to worry about"
biggrin.gif
  I honestly was responding when I saw a few people showing interest in these IEMs/CIEMs and having concerns about spending so much money considering a cable issue.  Cable issue is real when you go through dozens of UE and Westone thread pages with people complaining about mmcx shell connectors - that's when you have an issue where even $1k replacement cable might not help you
wink.gif
  I'm just pointing out that manufacturer controls design and QC of their actual IEMs, while they buy these cheap cables in bulk to include with their $1k-$2k monitors.  Not just 64 Audio, but a lot of other manufacturers whose products I reviewed in the last year.  If people complaining about these cables - time for 64 Audio to find another Chinese supplier with a better QC.  

And btw, per your last comment about grinning in bed after posting "I give them a miss...", I should have read between the lines, Mr Instigator
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back