1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Mar 24, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #4,276 of 9,124

There are 3 settings for Impedance Matching.

Low- 7-16
Mid- 16-24
High- 24+

I had it set at Low. I switched to Mid and it is much better. What should the A12's be set at?

I'm not intimately familiar with the Calyx-M, so I'm not the best person to ask.

Best bet would be to ask in the Calyx M thread, or to simply try each setting and see which you like best, with the A12s.

If a DAP or amp has an output impedance that is higher than ideal, then some low-impedance multi-BA CIEMs can exhibit poor treble definition (sometimes the treble can be splashy, too), and with poor bass definition, but obviously there are variations in each unique circumstance/

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #4,277 of 9,124
The best IEM is the JH Audio Layla II ($2799).  Go with 1964 Audio A12, it prevent  you from getting your Ears damaged.  Besides 1964 Audio IEMs and JH Audio, there are no other good IEMs out there atm.
These 2 companies are the Top right now.

This is the most rediculous and unfair statement I have read on headfi in a long time.

Are you aware it is against forum rules to comment on gear you do not own?

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #4,278 of 9,124

I'm not intimately familiar with the Calyx-M, so I'm not the best person to ask.

Best bet would be to ask in the Calyx M thread, or to simply try each setting and see which you like best, with the A12s.

If a DAP or amp has an output impedance that is higher than ideal, then some low-impedance multi-BA CIEMs can exhibit poor treble definition (sometimes the treble can be splashy, too), and with poor bass definition, but obviously there are variations in each unique circumstance/

OK, Thanks. Since there is an overlap of 16 for medium and low, then I set it on medium as it gives me more treble. Also the specs on the A12 say 16 ohms impedance.

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #4,279 of 9,124
This is the most rediculous and unfair statement I have read on headfi in a long time.

You're not reading enough.  
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #4,280 of 9,124

OK, Thanks. Since there is an overlap of 16 for medium and low, then I set it on medium as it gives me more treble. Also the specs on the A12 say 16 ohms impedance.

Well, I'm not really sure how D&A (Calyx) have implemented that feature. I'm not sure if they are implying that each setting actually alters the real physical output impedance (seems a little unlikely, but only they know what they did), or if there is some other way in which the settings are intended to match a transducer of the quoted impedance-range.

I will say, however, that an ideal output-impedance for a CIEM like the A12 would generally be 1 ohm or less, so, at some point, I still think it'd be a good idea for you to try your A12s with a DAP that has a very low output-impedance. I think I recall the Calyx-M having an output impedance of around 2 ohms, but I may be incorrect about that.

In the meantime, though, I am glad you have found some improvement by altering your Calyx-M settings.
beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #4,284 of 9,124
Seeing all the cables posts; I dug up the stock cable and put them back on... they don't sound half bad actually... not quite as good as aftermarket either.  But the ergonomics is worlds better than aftermarket (btg, moon, therium that I've tried).  

Any idea why aftermarket cables are all so stiff comparatively? Or who makes a more pliable replacement cable.

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #4,285 of 9,124
Thanks for the suggestion. You made my day. It helped.

There are 3 settings for Impedance Matching.

Low- 7-16
Mid- 16-24
High- 24+

I had it set at Low. I switched to Mid and it is much better. What should the A12's be set at?

These are bass heavy and not known to have great treble extension, and hence the warm sound.

Thanks,
Ken

I take it your not using mojo anymore with your A12's? How much is the difference in treble comparing the two sources? Aldo what cable do you prefer now with your A12?

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #4,286 of 9,124

Shouldn't the mojo give excellent treble/mids with the A12 since it's output impedance is only .075?

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #4,288 of 9,124

Shouldn't the mojo give excellent treble/midst with the A12 since it's output impedance is only .075?

I would anticipate Mojo yielding decent treble performance, but I haven't heard the combo, so I don't know. (BTW, I didn't realise ken6217 has/had a Mojo, too)

Again, I'm not 'defending' the A12 - I'm just offering a few suggestions on possible mitigating factors.

I'm doing this because I vividly recall how startled I was at the substantial difference in sound, with my UM Miracles, 4 yrs ago, when I had been driving them with a Cowon J3, and then bought a DX100 - they were totally different beasts when plugged into the low-output-impedance DX100. I got an instant education, then, on the serious importance of low output impedance, when driving multi-BA CIEMs. It is definitely not something to be underestimated.

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #4,289 of 9,124
I take it your not using mojo anymore with your A12's? How much is the difference in treble comparing the two sources? Aldo what cable do you prefer now with your A12?

I sold the Mojo/AK320 combo. I didn't like the SQ. Detailed but too thin sounding. Interestingly enough, the guy I sold it to also turned around and sold it for same reason.

I didn't have the A12's long at that point.

I have Whiplash TWag gold/silver and also their Silver Litz cable. I have to go back and compare both now that I changed the impedance settings on the Calyx M.

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #4,290 of 9,124
These guys with the Adel, do they do that suction thing with silicon tips? Just trying out my new u8s, and am feeling like I have a good seal (Spiral dots) but more like how a comply seals without the super suction thing. A little tiny bit of suction, but not as much as I normally get with my iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back