1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Dec 4, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #2,836 of 9,124
While I can't resolve the business ethics conundrum, I do have another topic to raise: Has anyone run the Adel A6 or other similar model balanced? I read conflicting opinions as to whether the expense of upgrading sources and CIEM cable to balanced gear yields discernible sound quality improvement and would love to benefit from the experience of anyone who's tried it with an Adel equipped CIEM.
Thanks!

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #2,837 of 9,124
Actually in the UK there's a law somewhere about this, if a different item is sold with the same model number. For example if Apple sold you a 2013 MacBook and told you it was a 2014 model, they'd DEFINITELY owe you money.
Also I was talking a little philosophically, and you apparently missed my point a bit.. No matter.

There are millions of stupid laws.

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #2,838 of 9,124
Actually in the UK there's a law somewhere about this, if a different item is sold with the same model number. For example if Apple sold you a 2013 MacBook and told you it was a 2014 model, they'd DEFINITELY owe you money.
Also I was talking a little philosophically, and you apparently missed my point a bit.. No matter.

If they lie about the make of a product-that's fraud. This is not.

Dec 5, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #2,839 of 9,124
Not really - I would argue it's unethical to give people different versions of the same product without some sort of differentiation within such a short amount of time. Call it the 'mark2' or something, but don't just start changing things quietly....
If people are now being shipped significantly better versions of the U12 I want to exchange mine for one of those!

There is value in taking a step back. In manufacturing, components change all the time due to supply or maybe from early feedback a manufacturer work out a slightly different way of doing things that is not necessarily "better" for the end user, but makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint. Even if better for the end user, how is that quantified. Clearly the model number is the same, so your conjecture it is a brand new model is factually not correct.

Whether or not the tweak here is for better or worse, you have objectively allowed your anxiety about wanting the "latest" to affect your judgment. What was initially described as a tweak that may or may not make any difference, you have in the space of three-posts promoted to a new year model.

You received exactly what you paid for. Without having any personal experience of what impact the change has, consider whether 1964 would accept your custom again having publicly accused them of being unethical with zero reason to do so other than your anxiety of wanting the "latest" variant that you have not even heard.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #2,840 of 9,124
  Not really - I would argue it's unethical to give people different versions of the same product without some sort of differentiation within such a short amount of time. Call it the 'mark2' or something, but don't just start changing things quietly....
If people are now being shipped significantly better versions of the U12 I want to exchange mine for one of those!

Apple iPhone 6 vs 6s...nuff said.  They are both quality products.  Like others have said, you should be grateful 64 Audio is always trying to improve their products.  It's not like they put out bad products before, just look at all the reviews and happy people.  Things change, hopefully for the better, that's how a good business operates.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #2,841 of 9,124
  While I can't resolve the business ethics conundrum, I do have another topic to raise: Has anyone run the Adel A6 or other similar model balanced? I read conflicting opinions as to whether the expense of upgrading sources and CIEM cable to balanced gear yields discernible sound quality improvement and would love to benefit from the experience of anyone who's tried it with an Adel equipped CIEM.
Thanks!

can only comment based on the ADEL demos driven off an AK380.  generally it is much louder and the background is absolutely dark while driven balanced.  no hiss at all!

Dec 5, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #2,842 of 9,124
Mojo pairing with A12 and iPhone 5 via CCK:

Gear: Iphone 5 w/cck, MacbookPro, Mojo, 64 Audio ADEL A12

Let me begin by saying that I don't speak fancy audiophile lingo, I'm just a normal guy who's always been into music-more specifically metal(doom, sludge, stoner, black, death, atmospheric and all combinations of the aforementioned styles) as well as classical-but mostly metal. I've had a few hours with the Mojo now, here are my results:

The first thing I noticed was the detail. Listening to albums I'd listened to many times before was great. I heard instruments I'd never heard before, especially when the metal was fast-without the Mojo I never noticed the things i missed but with the Mojo it all becomes known. Gasps when the singer inhales or someone tapping their foot at a quiet-live performance of a solo artist, all those thing you say people always hear with nice gear-it comes through with Mojo. I heard people in the audience many times in some of my files when i wasn't supposed to hear them-they weren't meant to be part of the mix. This is especially noticeable with vinyl, which Mojo has caused me to dislike more. I alreayd disliked vinyl and if asked to chose between my 16/44 cd rip of Xanthochroid's Blessed He With Boils or the 24/192 with all the pops and clicks-I'll pick the CD version with its pristine sound free of artifacts.

When I say the music sounds different, it really does. The track I'm listening to-the vocals are quite different. Maybe I'm struggling for words here since I don't have the audiophile dictionary in my brain, sorry I can't describe it better. There is a song by Woods of Ypres called Kiss My Ashes Goodbye, its about 10 mins long. I've never heard David Gold's voice sound like this, it's like he's singing it into my ear and I can feel it. In Lightning & Snow from the same album (called Grey Skies & Electric Light) I hear cymbals that I've never heard before during the chaotic moments of the song. My ADEL's A12's are known for instrument separation so paired with the Mojo (with it's incredible separation) really keeps my brain engaged with the music because there is so much going on where all previously ran together.

To really test the instrument separation synergy with my A12's I chose Archspire's song Lucid Collective Somnambulation. All I can say is wow.

And my mojo just died, looks like i'm out of battery.

What else should I say? My A12's are known for the impressive sub-bass, among other things. I feel like the Mojo slightly lowers this sub-bass in favor of a more neutral signature. One band that I listen to everyday (one of the best bands I've ever heard) is Beastwars. Both their albums Beastwars and Blood Becomes fire sound glorious on the A12's from my puny Iphone5. Beastwars plays doom/stoner/sludge (mostly interchangeable) metal. This style of metal has a moniker: "Tune low, play slow". Basically you can expect extremely downtuned guitars with towering and crushing riffs that echo into nothingness. Especially on Blood Becomes Fire, that whole album really makes the A12's shake with bass. There is more bass impact with the iphone 5 IMO than with the mojo. I use the word impact because the mojo still picks up the same low riffage but just with more detail and a hair less "blow your hair back" bass. I think I'll get used to this as time goes on, brain burn-in and whatnot. If it is a problem for you, you can always EQ a bit-on my iphone 5 the EQ in both tuneshell and onkyo work fine with the mojo.

Concerning soundstage, all I've ever heard is my A12's and my iphone 5/macbook pro so the soundstage actually sounds larger to me. Some of the instruments, especially in Chesky's jazz bits sounded like they were outside my ciem's floating in space. It was an odd sensation and I've never heard it before.

Conclusion:

The most noticeable sound improvement with the mojo is the timing. All the instruments sound like the band is playing right in front of you. The music is alive. From the iphone 5 I have more bass impact but the music is still "just a recording". Mojo does something to the music that makes it come alive, hard to explain. It has a neutral sig IMO so if you're into thundering bass it'll deliver the bass just cleaner and with a hair less knockdown. IMO any bass you sacrifice is worth what you get with everything else the mojo offers. Treble was great as well. Nothing bad to say, I'm glad I bought this and I'm done with audiophile gear forever. I have a completely black background and notice no hiss. RF inerference can be an issue with Iphone 5, use airplane mode.

When I say neutral, I mean warm-neutral. My ADEL A12's are warm(with no detail loss) with a sub bass bump. The mojo tames the beast a bit-makes them more reference oriented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFb607Y49X0

Edited by iKE1985 - Yesterday at 8:20 pm View History
Edited by iKE1985 - Yesterday at 6:20 am View History

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #2,845 of 9,124
Yes. I believe there is a translucent red option. If i had known they were translucent i probably would have made mine translucent red.

I tried to place an order, and it doesn't give me an option to choose color. In addition, what kind of box do you get? does it also has your name on the box?  

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #2,846 of 9,124
I tried to place an order, and it doesn't give me an option to choose color. In addition, what kind of box do you get? does it also has your name on the box?  

That's only black color for the U-series. The translucent red is only make for Kickstarter batch, after than that only black color with white print logo.
Come with 64 audio protective case.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #2,847 of 9,124
That's only black color for the U-series. The translucent red is only make for Kickstarter batch, after than that only black color with white print logo.
Come with 64 audio protective case.

Okay sorry. Also the protective case doesn't exist yet still getting produced or something? I am still waiting for mine.

Until they get that sorted out it comes in a soft case which is a really tight fit with the tips, the cleaner brusg and the iems.

I took all the tips and and stuck them in another case.

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #2,848 of 9,124
Okay sorry. Also the protective case doesn't exist yet still getting produced or something? I am still waiting for mine.

Until they get that sorted out it comes in a soft case which is a really tight fit with the tips, the cleaner brusg and the iems.

I took all the tips and and stuck them in another case.

The protective case I also not really sure, I'm waiting for mine too... 6 weeks already still haven start produce...... When I raise order is told me 4-5 weeks

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #2,849 of 9,124
64 Audio told Jelt the A10/U10 was their most neutral reference model.

When I contacted 64 Audio, they told me the U5 is their most neutral model. I asked why not the U10, and the person said because the U10's bass is a little more elevated than neutral.

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #2,850 of 9,124

And that didn't happen here. Manufacturers can always improve the same model during production. Your example is bass ackward. It's like you're saying that it's illegal for a car maker to add an upholstery color to a running model or change air filters for a couple more HP without offering you a refit. That's just silly, especially on units that may create an overall revenue deficit if done for free. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back