1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Dec 1, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #2,821 of 9,124
  regarding my own question, I just got (kind of) expected response from the 1964 Ears representative:

"Hello John, I'd be glad to help. We don't release FR graphs for our models but I can advise based on your description. The A10 is the flat/neutral model I would recommend. The A12 is more colored with a big/rich sound. For studio work and music production, the A10 is the model which fits the best. The U-Series and A-Series models are tuned similarly. But due to the fact the placement of the universal in ear affects sound signature (the deeper it is, the brighter the highs), the universal sound can differ from the custom. -Alex"

So I already ordered the U12 - perhaps I can order also the A10 and hear the difference then :)))

You should if you can and report back. I'm actually hoping to buy either of them next year. I run FOH and mix sequences for my band occasionally, so your input would be nice, as I would want something more balanced. I recently got some V6S', but I don't think they are neutral. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #2,822 of 9,124
regarding my own question, I just got (kind of) expected response from the 1964 Ears representative:

"Hello John, I'd be glad to help. We don't release FR graphs for our models but I can advise based on your description. The A10 is the flat/neutral model I would recommend. The A12 is more colored with a big/rich sound. For studio work and music production, the A10 is the model which fits the best. The U-Series and A-Series models are tuned similarly. But due to the fact the placement of the universal in ear affects sound signature (the deeper it is, the brighter the highs), the universal sound can differ from the custom. -Alex"

So I already ordered the U12 - perhaps I can order also the A10 and hear the difference then :)))

Why not go for the A12-you'll be left wondering what could have been. If I were getting two ADEL's I'd get A12 and A10. Or just A12 and wait for version 2 ADEL(likely inflatable).

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #2,824 of 9,124
Sorry. I did mis represent myself.reading back I feel I was somewhat contradictory as well.

I did intend to mean that contrary to most people's initial impression, the a12 is actually a pretty linear ciem with a warm tilt thats is exceptionally detailed. The warmth and smoothness does give an illusion that it is thick/lush but it isn't.

I'd like to add that had the nt6 for a period of time (sold it recently) and i can safely say the a12 will not be beaten in terms of detail, and in a direct comparison with nt6 the a12 is mich warmer.

Hope I didnt confuse anyone much.

Makes sense and is what I suspected.  Seeing how much I enjoy my A12 I just didn't want perspective buyers to avoid it unnecessarily.

Your comparison to the NT6 is interesting.  Though I've never heard it, based on reviews and discussions with owners it's always been a CIEM I've held in high regard.

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #2,826 of 9,124
This is exactly how I feel about my A12's, exceptionally pleased with them. Warm, not bright, incredible detail/soundstage/separation, I should inform buyers that the A12 is being constantly improved. My left one was repaired and came back with several upgrades including plastic instead of metal thingys on the sound tube and re-arrangement of drivers. I've also noticed that the most recent A12's have different sound tubes. 64 uses a special type drill to make one of the tubes bigger at the end than the others (which are straight drilled). The latest A12's have all the tubes drilled. They are constantly improving and no one has better customer service.

Hmmm... this is good, but also potentially bad surely? It would mean early adopters have an inferior one to people who order them now?

They apparently don't release FR graphs especially because ADEL changes the apparent frequency on paper, or something. Vitaly mentioned it on one of the SPreecasts a while ago. 
Why not go for the A12-you'll be left wondering what could have been. If I were getting two ADEL's I'd get A12 and A10. Or just A12 and wait for version 2 ADEL(likely inflatable).

Maybe, but wouldnt be wondering that much. The a series and U series are pretty much identical, as long as you fit the U series with good tips and get a great seal etc. The main difference would be in comfort and possibly isolation - although isolation won't be perfect on either of these because ADEL limits it a little (although the sound quality and lack of fatigue is easily enough to warrant this IMO). 
Hi everyone, I am considering upgrading from the V6S to the A6/A8. Is it worth the extra money? Also, does anyone know if 1964/64 Audio will have a Christmas sale?
biggrin.gif

Hmmm, well the A6 is pretty much a V6S but with ADEL - more or less. I dont know if they use updated drivers, and the placement may be different/upgraded, but the main benefits may not be in sound quality. If you suffer from fatigue and want something that (all evidence considered) will probably prevent a bit of hearing damage, then yes! Having said that, I do think ADEL may make them sort of 'easier' to drive, because of the louder sounding iem thing - so it might be that they sound better at the same volume. Hard to tell. Can you go A/B them?

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #2,827 of 9,124
Hi everyone, I am considering upgrading from the V6S to the A6/A8. Is it worth the extra money? Also, does anyone know if 1964/64 Audio will have a Christmas sale?
biggrin.gif

Sound sig for the V6S and A6 should be similar (except Adel).  What are you currently missing or are looking for in this upgrade?  A8 will add bass (mucho bueno for me) but not for everyone. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #2,828 of 9,124

Sound sig for the V6S and A6 should be similar (except Adel).  What are you currently missing or are looking for in this upgrade?  A8 will add bass (mucho bueno for me) but not for everyone. 

I've been told that the A6 uses different drivers than the V6S and that's the primary reason that they can't upgrade current V-series owners into A-series. I suspect that the A6 will have a very similar sound signature, probably with some improvements and the benefit of the ADEL, but it would be nice if someone from 1964 could chime in.  

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #2,829 of 9,124
Hmmm... this is good, but also potentially bad surely? It would mean early adopters have an inferior one to people who order them now?

They apparently don't release FR graphs especially because ADEL changes the apparent frequency on paper, or something. Vitaly mentioned it on one of the SPreecasts a while ago. 

Maybe, but wouldnt be wondering that much. The a series and U series are pretty much identical, as long as you fit the U series with good tips and get a great seal etc. The main difference would be in comfort and possibly isolation - although isolation won't be perfect on either of these because ADEL limits it a little (although the sound quality and lack of fatigue is easily enough to warrant this IMO). 
Hmmm, well the A6 is pretty much a V6S but with ADEL - more or less. I dont know if they use updated drivers, and the placement may be different/upgraded, but the main benefits may not be in sound quality. If you suffer from fatigue and want something that (all evidence considered) will probably prevent a bit of hearing damage, then yes! Having said that, I do think ADEL may make them sort of 'easier' to drive, because of the louder sounding iem thing - so it might be that they sound better at the same volume. Hard to tell. Can you go A/B them?

That's the way of markets-products improve over time(good companies do this). That's part of the risk of being an early adopter.

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #2,830 of 9,124

Yeah, I'll try A/B-ing them this weekend. Hopefully they'll be an upgrade over the V6S with the ADEL tech.

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #2,831 of 9,124
Yes, I think it'll be good for my tastes as I am now seeking a bassier phone :)
I've been told that the A6 uses different drivers than the V6S and that's the primary reason that they can't upgrade current V-series owners into A-series. I suspect that the A6 will have a very similar sound signature, probably with some improvements and the benefit of the ADEL, but it would be nice if someone from 1964 could chime in.  

If I'm not wrong, I read somewhere on this thread that the A-series uses the same drivers as the V-series, except the A10 and A12. But yeah, it would be great if someone from 1964 could enlighten us on this. Paying so much cash for just the ADEL tech is rather off-putting.

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #2,832 of 9,124

I asked the 1964 staff on FB about v6s and a6. Both ciem uses the same 6 driver design and tuning however with the adel tech, a6 has a wider soundstage and better clarity

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #2,833 of 9,124
  Makes sense and is what I suspected.  Seeing how much I enjoy my A12 I just didn't want perspective buyers to avoid it unnecessarily.

Your comparison to the NT6 is interesting.  Though I've never heard it, based on reviews and discussions with owners it's always been a CIEM I've held in high regard.

Haha yeah I do agree. Somehow my attempt to explain that the A12 is pretty reference sounding, just not the usual brightish/clearish signature, ended up looking awkward. :x

The NT6 is a technically accomplished CIEM, and is slightly bright to bring out its clarity. Next to it, the A12 does feel warm and thick, but then again, it is in a direct A/B comparison. After listening to the A12 for long periods, it is not thick/lush as you mentioned. Its just a bit warmish, smooth, clear and very very detailed.

The A12 is an IEM that I can spend half the day on (I did spend like 8hrs plugged in to the A12!) and yet feel no fatigue from listening. Just pure, musical, BLISS! The smaller than expected size helps alot with comfort too. How in the world did they manage to squeeze 12 drivers in this small shell? O.o

I haven't heard the U12, but my in my limited experience with UIEMs, tips used will change the sound as well, if slightly. This will be a pro/con depending on how you look at it. A good sounding tip may or may not be comfortable or vice versa.

Customs remove this dilemma, but introduces another problem, fit issues, which you will need to send back to the manufactuere (64 Audio in thise case), for a refit, which is time consuming, and of course, will cost you more in shipping and additional ear impressions where necessary.
If I'm not wrong, I read somewhere on this thread that the A-series uses the same drivers as the V-series, except the A10 and A12. But yeah, it would be great if someone from 1964 could enlighten us on this. Paying so much cash for just the ADEL tech is rather off-putting.

Yes, as @monkmobile mentioned. Also, iirc it was mentioned during or shortly after the kickstarter campaign ended. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #2,834 of 9,124
Not really - I would argue it's unethical to give people different versions of the same product without some sort of differentiation within such a short amount of time. Call it the 'mark2' or something, but don't just start changing things quietly....
If people are now being shipped significantly better versions of the U12 I want to exchange mine for one of those!
Not really - I would argue it's unethical to give people different versions of the same product without some sort of differentiation within such a short amount of time. Call it the 'mark2' or something, but don't just start changing things quietly....
If people are now being shipped significantly better versions of the U12 I want to exchange mine for one of those!

That's absurd. You agreed to exchange $ for product. Does bmw owe you a new car if they release an improved version a month later? The world doesn't owe anyone anything.

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #2,835 of 9,124
Haha 'the world'.. I see what you think of me now, self entitled etc :p
In your analogy if you were sold a BMW and someone paid the same amount for the same model number in the same week but there's was double the fuel efficiency and had leather seats, and it went faster, I don't think you'd be sitting aroun quietly. My point stands that it's important to differentiate carefully if you're going to upgrade things, as otherwise it is bad trading practice because your product is inconsistent . two people coukd could be paying one amount for two completely different things in a very short space of time from the same company.

That's fine but they don't owe you anything. As far as the bmw analogy above, in that scenario as well, no one is owed anything. Maybe you could wait another 6 months or so then workout a deal where you pay for an upgrade process, I doubt it would be cheap and I don't think the upgrades are day and night difference-probably very minimal. For example I can't tell a difference between my left and right and the left is the different one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back