19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)
Oct 14, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #61 of 687
I'll wait for that review then. I do have a cable that works but it's terminated into a straight plug since I preferred it then but that is no longer the case with my phone as source. 

I was actually referring to the custom cable before they changed it to the new cable. On the UE website you can buy both new and old as it's pretty cheap but may just spend some money on a Moon Audio cable where it may last me longer. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong since I'm not rough on them.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #62 of 687
awaiting your silver dragon review. Thanks average_joe

Quote:
I am probably not your typical user from the standpoint that I don't listen to the same custom IEM day in and day out for extended periods of time since I am always testing and A/Bing for reviews.  I have had one issue and that was the JH16 cable, but it was the shell connector plastic breaking.

I don't think the UE cable will fit the Westone customs as the pins are smaller.  You can of course expand them, but you should buy the old model, not the new as the new is made for an outie!

First picture: UERM; 2nd picture: EM3 Pro plug (recessed socket), TWag plug (fits recessed sockets), aftermarket TF10 plug, TF10 plug

The Silver Dragon will fit and is a good sounding cable, I should have my review of the Silver Dragon and Chris_Himself cables posted next week.  A sneak peak is I am hearing a larger soundstage when using the Silver Dragon than stock cables with better attributed due to the larger space.  The cable is relatively thick and well made with low memory and tangling and won't "go everywhere!"

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #63 of 687

Quote:
I'll wait for that review then. I do have a cable that works but it's terminated into a straight plug since I preferred it then but that is no longer the case with my phone as source. 

I was actually referring to the custom cable before they changed it to the new cable. On the UE website you can buy both new and old as it's pretty cheap but may just spend some money on a Moon Audio cable where it may last me longer. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong since I'm not rough on them.

OK, got ya.

Quote:
awaiting your silver dragon review. Thanks average_joe 

I should be posting my Silver Dragon and Chris_Himself cable reviews by Thursday...

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #65 of 687
Silver Dragon IEM cable and Chris_Himself IEM cables added in the first post.  Double Helix Symbiote cable on the way.  Let me know if there are any other cables you would like reviewed and I will see what I can do...

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #66 of 687
Great collection of reviews average_joe.

Too bad about the Crystal, have to say those heat-shrink wrapped connectors look disgusting when connected to the TF10s.

My quest for a cheaper than $50 braided cable continues.... Though I'm seriously considering giving up and just buying the Supreme Rose.

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #67 of 687
Heya thanks for the review man, shame about the build quality thing... I'll get it fixed and it'll go right back to you!

I have a feeling that the intermittent channel might have a negative effect on your final sound as well... I'm glad you put 300+ hours on them, although my recommended burn in is usually like 20-40 hours haha...

Man those pictures look great compared to the ones I have on 'em...

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #68 of 687
Thanks for the review average joe. The Silver Dragon cable looks a lot like the CK10 cable :p

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #69 of 687

Quote:
Heya thanks for the review man, shame about the build quality thing... I'll get it fixed and it'll go right back to you!

I have a feeling that the intermittent channel might have a negative effect on your final sound as well... I'm glad you put 300+ hours on them, although my recommended burn in is usually like 20-40 hours haha...

Man those pictures look great compared to the ones I have on 'em...

No problem, it was a joy to review.  And as you did state, you will fix them in addition to offering that lifetime warranty.  It is not if something breaks IMO (unless it breaks repeatedly), but how the issue is handled that is the most important.  I still highly recommended your cable given the price/performance.  Buy 2 at the price you sell them for!  Once I get the cable back I will use it for an extended time and see if there are any future issues.  And I have updated the text of the review.  

I do burn in all my cables the same just to make sure and do know that some of them seem to continue to change over extended periods of time.  I am not sure about the issue causing any negative effect on the sound as once the memory wire was straightened I had a good connection.

Thanks, I am trying to figure out how to take better pictures, lighting is critical and it is a learning process.

Quote:
Thanks for the review average joe. The Silver Dragon cable looks a lot like the CK10 cable :p

Yea, but thicker and stiffer.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #70 of 687
great stuff, I am going to order the Silver Dragon and compare it with my DHC cable now. Awaiting your review for the DHC cable now haha. Thanks average_joe

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #71 of 687
Yeah dude you can't review my stuff and NOT review DHC! Best in the business IMO. Nice guy too, he helped me with a lot of questions when I was just starting out.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #72 of 687
Chris cables certainly looked tempting for the price, any idea how it would perform with ES5?

I have the supreme rose, while I love the softness and silicon material used (esp. the ear guide areas), i kinda hate the springy effect on the cables coiled/uncoiled.
After i had coiled it nicely and leave it, it would just spring and uncoil itself into a mess haha

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #73 of 687
I don't have the ES5 so I can't compare, but since sonically the CH cable has similar strengths to the TWag, which I loaned to an ES5 owner who really liked it with the ES5, I would deduce it will perform well!  However, the springy effect will be somewhere between that of the Rose and something like the Silver Dragon; the stiffness helps it retain its shape better but you have to over-bend the cable to get it to stay a certain way.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #74 of 687
Is it that much thicker than the CK10 cable? It looking like that cable is what got me tempted since that cable is awesome. It would also be nice to not have a memory wire since I hate those esp since I wear glasses. The cable doesn't feel heavy when it is being used right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back