19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)
Jan 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #167 of 687
Firstly, thanks for the great review average_joe

I may have missed it in all these posts, but I cant remember seeing a comparison of the microphonics of the cables vs the stock JH16 cable?

I have a JH13 and JH16 on order and I am guessing that they both use the same cable. I am finding the JH13 cable to be very microphonic, especially when I have been spoilt with ACS's T1 kevlar cable.
When I move around, I am very aware of the rubbing sound of the cable on my shirt collars or sides of my face (maybe my head is too big...lol).

Can you recommend a replacement that is much less microphonic than the stock JH cable?

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #169 of 687

Quote:
Firstly, thanks for the great review average_joe

I may have missed it in all these posts, but I cant remember seeing a comparison of the microphonics of the cables vs the stock JH16 cable?

I have a JH13 and JH16 on order and I am guessing that they both use the same cable. I am finding the JH13 cable to be very microphonic, especially when I have been spoilt with ACS's T1 kevlar cable.
When I move around, I am very aware of the rubbing sound of the cable on my shirt collars or sides of my face (maybe my head is too big...lol).

Can you recommend a replacement that is much less microphonic than the stock JH cable?

That seems odd because I really haven't read about JH cables, or any stock cables to be microphonic, and mine aren't.  But, people all have different anatomical makeups, so that may be the cause.  Are the cables wrapping around your ears snugly?  Have you tried using the cable slider and a shirt clip?  

I am not sure what to recommend because I don't have the microphonics issue and I have used the JH16 at the gym.  I might be able to help if we can figure out if anything helps.

Quote:
Joe, is the uerm cable compatible with the tf10?

Yes, but it is not a perfect fit.  The protruding sockets fit in the recessed pin area helping with the fit.  And TF10 cable can be made to fit a Westone/JHA custom by flattening the pins slightly with pliers.  

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #172 of 687
Hi average_joe,

following your comment about not having any issues with your cable, I've done a bit more testing and its a little wierd.

The cables are securely wrapped around the back of my ears.
I can hear the rubbing against my cheeks and when the Y cables touch my shirt collars. Tightening the cable slider helps as it stops the cable moving around quite so much. The strange thing is that if I hold the cable between two fingers and run my fingers down the cable I get the microphonic rubbing for about 12 inches after the Y section andf then it abruptly stops and is dead quiet!

I am now wondering if there is a problem with the cable as the microphonics dont just fade out but go instantly quiet after a certain point down the cable.

I assume this doesnt happen with yours?

I''ll let you know if this also happens with my JH16 when they arrive.

Cheers

Jan 7, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #173 of 687

Quote:
Hi average_joe,

following your comment about not having any issues with your cable, I've done a bit more testing and its a little wierd.

The cables are securely wrapped around the back of my ears.
I can hear the rubbing against my cheeks and when the Y cables touch my shirt collars. Tightening the cable slider helps as it stops the cable moving around quite so much. The strange thing is that if I hold the cable between two fingers and run my fingers down the cable I get the microphonic rubbing for about 12 inches after the Y section andf then it abruptly stops and is dead quiet!

I am now wondering if there is a problem with the cable as the microphonics dont just fade out but go instantly quiet after a certain point down the cable.

I assume this doesnt happen with yours?

I''ll let you know if this also happens with my JH16 when they arrive.

Cheers

That seems odd, let us know what happens.

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #176 of 687
How long do you burn in your cable joe?

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #177 of 687

Quote:
How long do you burn in your cable joe?

300 hours.  The TWag cable needed that as do some others, it seems, so I use the same number for all to be fair.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #178 of 687
Holy crap, I do 100, and I didn't know if that was overkill or not lol.

Quote:

300 hours.  The TWag cable needed that as do some others, it seems, so I use the same number for all to be fair.

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #180 of 687
Thanks for this review, I bought my Null Audio Arete based on this review thread (previously have owned the Lune).  It's like a veil was lifted and the details, bass, and SS are much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back