$1295 Aurender FLOW - portable DAC/amp with mSATA slot for up to 1TB SSD
Dec 28, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #106 of 237
Btw, it doesn't come with the mSATA memory. That's is optional for you to install. It is NOT a DAP but a DAC/amp.

Can you access its mSata memory with your Android cellphone or iPhone?
I already have a plenty of desktop HDDs. I don't think I will make use of that unless I can use it with my cellphone or tablet.

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #107 of 237
I already have a plenty of desktop HDDs. I don't think I will make use of that unless I can use it with my cellphone or tablet.
As Kiats has mentioned it's officially for PC/Laptop/Notebook. You cannot access from your iDevice or Android (unless your Android is rooted?? Not certain).

If you already have your music on your PC, then you use the Flow purely as a DAC/Amp. That's how I use it. I haven't even bought a SATA for it.

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #108 of 237

I fear not. The optional mSATA is really for people who wish to use the Flow with a laptop on the road and now have a way to have extra storage on top of the miserly size of SSDs that come with modern laptops. Saves one the hassle of lugging an extra HDD on the road. :)

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #110 of 237
It does look like one of those front-load washers so we're indeed calling it the Washing Machine here in China, LOL

Vensmile iPC002 could work well with Flow after installing foobar2000 on this battery-powered Windows 8.1 computer, then control that from an Android / iOS device so foobar2000 could gain access to mSATA SSD

549d25b930282.jpg

549d25bc5d042.jpg

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #111 of 237
Just in case anyone wonders, the Flow does a very credible impersonation of a desktop DAC. :)

I am currently running it on Line Out at 2V using the adapter provided with a pair of JPS Superconductor V RCA cables plugged into the adapter and the other end plugged into my Bryston BHA-1. Listening on an LCD 3 with a balanced Toxic Cables Silver Widow 22.

The source is a modded MacMini with external PSU connected by an AQ Diamond into the Flow.

Of course it doesn't match my normal desktop DAC in terms of effortless and natural and yet complex and detailed presentation of the music. However, the very credible performance of the Flow as stand in means the two weeks' absence of my normal desk top will a lot less painful than I had feared. :)

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #112 of 237
Aurender guys told me that I can access to FLOW's SSD HDD through USB with my Android phone.
Can you guys do this?
If so, it can be a lot more convenient. You can carry up to 1TB for your phone!

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #115 of 237
Maybe it's a language barrier of some sort and they didn't go into the details, not exactly as simple as magic.

Without root access to an Android device, there will be no way to mount an external storage via USB OTG.

An exception is purchasing this $3.99 app called NMI but it doesn't necessarily work for all Android devices:

Nexus Media Importer allows you to stream and transfer music, video, photos and documents from a USB flash drive or card reader connected to your Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (G1 & G2), Nexus 9, Nexus 10, Moto X, Galaxy Nexus, Xoom or other Android 4.0+ devices with USB Host support. See technical notes for a list of supported file types and file systems.

Requires the following hardware:

1. An Android 4.0+ device. Known compatible devices include the Google Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (G1 and G2), Nexus 10, Moto X, Galaxy Nexus and the Motorola Xoom. Please try the free "Nexus Photo Viewer" first if you do not have one of these devices.

And then we'll have to get one of those Micro B to Micro B OTG cables for a single cable connection

54af94df74890.jpg

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #116 of 237
Here's their reply. I have asked them if I can access to 1TB SSD in FLOW through my smartphone and stream music from it.

"Hello,

Yes, you can do that with Android. For the higher resolution file playing, you need a special player.
You can try USB RecordingPro.

Best regards, "

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #118 of 237
Here's their reply. I have asked them if I can access to 1TB SSD in FLOW through my smartphone and stream music from it.

Part of The Flow package is an OTG cable. Although initially it was USB Audio Recording Pro, these days @Davy Wentzler, developer of eXtreme Software Development, seems to be focused more on USB Audio Player Pro (or UAPP for short in Head-Fi) - there's a dedicated thread all about it here.

Note that UAPP (or UARP) is about playing hires (and even DSD) off the Android. Accessing the SATA isn't a feature of UAPP as far as I know. @seeteeyou is right that you need USB mass storage drivers installed on the Android. Maybe this is easier on the likes of Nexus and Google Play Android phones but somewhat more difficult on very locked down Android phones like Samsungs.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, my familiarity of Android is probably 5 months old.

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #119 of 237
Part of The Flow package is an OTG cable. Although initially it was USB Audio Recording Pro, these days @Davy Wentzler
, developer of eXtreme Software Development, seems to be focused more on USB Audio Player Pro (or UAPP for short in Head-Fi) - there's a dedicated thread all about it here.

Note that UAPP (or UARP) is about playing hires (and even DSD) off the Android. Accessing the SATA isn't a feature of UAPP as far as I know. @seeteeyou
 is right that you need USB mass storage drivers installed on the Android. Maybe this is easier on the likes of Nexus and Google Play Android phones but somewhat more difficult on very locked down Android phones like Samsungs.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, my familiarity of Android is probably 5 months old.

You can try to browse through a browser like ES Browser then play music with UAPP by choosing a media player.
If you can access the 1TB, it solves lots of storage issues of current DAPs.
Can anyone try this with a Nexus tablet?

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #120 of 237
You can try to browse through a browser like ES Browser then play music with UAPP by choosing a media player.
If you can access the 1TB, it solves lots of storage issues of current DAPs.
Can anyone try this with a Nexus tablet?

If you can browse, then you can play. What I'm saying is that with UAPP depends on the USB mass storage driver to be able to see the external SATA to browse and play in the first place.

Anyhow, I received a loaner Hugo from Timelord (local Chord distributor in Japan). I'll get a chance to do some quick comparisons between the Flow & Hugo. Size-wise, here are the differences :-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back