(12/03 Updated) Introducing the world's first LEAR patented -NS(NatroSound) earphone technology!
Feb 9, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #46 of 287
  I think Tatco will clarify the situation. As i know Lear preparing a big project, not only NSS, and NSS wasnt fund in HK till this moment.
Nope, mb FSD is the other company legally.

Yes I know NSS wasn't funded until now but what I am saying is Tatco did ask for support for FSD (Money support is included) . As I know Tatco is the owner of the Lear and FSD, isn't it weird to do two fund raising in just three months?

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #47 of 287
  Yes I know NSS wasn't funded until now but what I am saying is Tatco did ask for support for FSD (Money support is included) . As I know Tatco is the owner of the Lear and FSD, isn't it weird to do two fund raising in just three months?

Dear leoleo0104,
If you read thoroughly, this is actually a crowd-funding which the money you pay goes directly to the earphone. There is no two fund-raising project but one. Please refrain from making false accusations.

Furthermore, for your information that LEAR is a brand under FS-Digital(Forever Source Digital)

On December 2014, Tatco shared on facebook that he seeks support from the local market, in order to start the global NSS fund-raising. This is not a double fund-raising, but ONE SINGLE crowdfunding for the NSS earphones and music platform project operated by LEAR, supported by FSD.

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #48 of 287
  That said, I still think there's a possibility that NSS will (subjectively) sound more "natural" than software solutions, and that's my main interest in the project.

That's probable, as the limiting factor is still the transducer. The XTZ earphone, which uses advanced Dirac DSP technology, manages to improve dramatically when the DSP is in effect, but the earphone still exhibits "defects" in its electroacoustic response, such as ringing, less than ideal impulse response, etc. Subjectively, I've heard that XTZ is not especially good to listen to, even when it has the Dirac DSP turned on.

Of course, this means that the paired drivers in this NSS project need to be of relatively good quality, e.g. RE-400 quality. Issues such as FR linearity and transient ringing can probably be minimized through corrective tubing and chamber design. For example, Etymotic uses a specially-designed side branch which functions as a specific Helmholtz resonator to smooth out peaks and improve midrange/treble linearity through its band-pass effect. That's why they diagram the chamber as an RLC filter.

I haven't actually had much time to study the NSS project in depth, but I do think it has promise, at least from my relatively cursory glances at the details.

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #49 of 287

That's probable, as the limiting factor is still the transducer. The XTZ earphone, which uses advanced Dirac DSP technology, manages to improve dramatically when the DSP is in effect, but the earphone still exhibits "defects" in its electroacoustic response, such as ringing, less than ideal impulse response, etc. Subjectively, I've heard that XTZ is not especially good to listen to, even when it has the Dirac DSP turned on.

Of course, this means that the paired drivers in this NSS project need to be of relatively good quality, e.g. RE-400 quality. Issues such as FR linearity and transient ringing can probably be minimized through corrective tubing and chamber design. For example, Etymotic uses a specially-designed side branch which functions as a specific Helmholtz resonator to smooth out peaks and improve midrange/treble linearity through its band-pass effect. That's why they diagram the chamber as an RLC filter.

I haven't actually had much time to study the NSS project in depth, but I do think it has promise, at least from my relatively cursory glances at the details.

You got all that from a cursory glance?  Respect!

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #51 of 287

Dear leoleo0104,
If you read thoroughly, this is actually a crowd-funding which the money you pay goes directly to the earphone. There is no two fund-raising project but one. Please refrain from making false accusations.

Furthermore, for your information that LEAR is a brand under FS-Digital(Forever Source Digital)

On December 2014, Tatco shared on facebook that he seeks support from the local market, in order to start the global NSS fund-raising. This is not a double fund-raising, but ONE SINGLE crowdfunding for the NSS earphones and music platform project operated by LEAR, supported by FSD.

To be exact, the fund-raising you guys proposed includes the funds for a recording studio (which you said the service might be FREE if the studio is built), some patents about recording, and the NSS. So THAT fund-raising was for three things, not only for NSS if I am reading it correctly. It was back in December and here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/FS.DigitaL.HK/posts/10152968551773745

"第一、二張圖片,是恆源旺角自家錄音室,整個音樂計劃如能落實,我希望能夠於2015年免費開放此處,讓支持計畫、志同道合的音樂人們,能有免費的「示範單位」,免費或低成本試用我們錄音設備,或用來製作高質音樂!
第三張圖片,是我們已獲專利註冊的多功能錄音及攝錄設備工程樣機。這設備與市面上的「人頭錄音設備」對比,我們可以實現同步收錄多條獨立音軌及同步攝錄的好處。這意味著錄音者只需按正常需要錄一次音,便能同時收集到適合耳機及喇叭播放的音源,然後按照日常流程,使用心水的DAW或軟硬件,自由進行混音或後製。製作者可以混製耳機專用、喇叭專用或兩者兼容的音樂作品,日後於出版時,可以讓消費者自由選擇不同版本!而攝錄功能更可幫助製作人製作聲畫俱備的作品,令觀眾感受更為震撼的聲畫體驗!

想了解由這設備錄製的音樂,可參考:http://fs-digital.net/thread-54591-1-1.html

據小弟所知,目前外國的「人頭錄音設備」動輒以6位數字的港幣起跳,入場門檻之高,實在並非一般音樂人所能接受!
實際上,只要我不賺你們錢,這技術的應用可說是接近零成本的,同時應用後,能令香港音樂有著更大的發揮和創作空間!增加市場上的競爭力!
我有理由相信,歐、美、日、韓等國家,已有不少音樂製作單位,開始部署和研究相關或類似技術,以便增加日後當地音樂作品的市場競爭力!
今天,由於技術仍在發展中階段,我希望能把相關技術於香港本地起,對外發揚光大,同時全力支援、配合香港音樂,幫助香港的音樂人和音樂市場,最少,我們不要輸在起跑線上吧!

圖片5、6是LEAR已獲專利的新型耳機產品圖。
我們稱這叫NSS-Natural Stereo Sound 技術。
LEAR NSS的技術,能令耳機「聲學」模擬如聽喇叭般的自然聲音效果!
令到用家就算是使用現有設備、不加任何外置硬件或電源的情況下,播放目前現有的音樂作品時,也能感受到聲像、定位於面前而非不自然地置於頭頂的感覺。你或不會知道,有不少朋友是很抗拒和不喜歡用耳機聽音樂的,部份還會因此而頭暈不適,這就是用耳機聽傳統立體聲的副作用了!"

Please google translate if any headfier wants to understand this.

I would really say there are TWO fund-raising, but not ONE and two fund-raising in three months is weird.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #52 of 287
To be exact, the fund-raising you guys proposed includes the funds for a recording studio (which you said the service might be FREE if the studio is built), some patents about recording, and the NSS. So THAT fund-raising was for three things, not only for NSS if I am reading it correctly. It was back in December and here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/FS.DigitaL.HK/posts/10152968551773745

"[COLOR=141823]第一、二張圖片,是恆源旺角自家錄音室,整個音樂計劃如能落實,我希望能夠於2015年免費開放此處,讓支持計畫、志同道合的音樂人們,能有免費的「示範單位」,免費或低成本試用我們錄音設備,或用來製作高質音樂![/COLOR]
第三張圖片,是我們已獲專利註冊的多功能錄音及攝錄設備工程樣機。這設備與市面上的「人頭錄音設備」對比,我們可以實現同步收錄多條獨立音軌及同步攝錄的好處。這意味著錄音者只需按正常需要錄一次音,便能同時收集到適合耳機及喇叭播放的音源,然後按照日常流程,使用心水的DAW或軟硬件,自由進行混音或後製。製作者可以混製耳機專用、喇叭專用或兩者兼容的音樂作品,日後於出版時,可以讓消費者自由選擇不同版本!而攝錄功能更可幫助製作人製作聲畫俱備的作品,令觀眾感受更為震撼的聲畫體驗!

想了解由這設備錄製的音樂,可參考:[COLOR=3B5998]http://fs-digital.net/thread-54591-1-1.html[/color]

據小弟所知,目前外國的「人頭錄音設備」動輒以6位數字的港幣起跳,入場門檻之高,實在並非一般音樂人所能接受!

實際上,只要我不賺你們錢,這技術的應用可說是接近零成本的,同時應用後,能令香港音樂有著更大的發揮和創作空間!增加市場上的競爭力!

我有理由相信,歐、美、日、韓等國家,已有不少音樂製作單位,開始部署和研究相關或類似技術,以便增加日後當地音樂作品的市場競爭力!

今天,由於技術仍在發展中階段,我希望能把相關技術於香港本地起,對外發揚光大,同時全力支援、配合香港音樂,幫助香港的音樂人和音樂市場,最少,我們不要輸在起跑線上吧!

圖片5、6是LEAR已獲專利的新型耳機產品圖。

我們稱這叫NSS-Natural Stereo Sound 技術。

LEAR NSS的技術,能令耳機「聲學」模擬如聽喇叭般的自然聲音效果!

令到用家就算是使用現有設備、不加任何外置硬件或電源的情況下,播放目前現有的音樂作品時,也能感受到聲像、定位於面前而非不自然地置於頭頂的感覺。你或不會知道,有不少朋友是很抗拒和不喜歡用耳機聽音樂的,部份還會因此而頭暈不適,這就是用耳機聽傳統立體聲的副作用了!"

Please google translate if any headfier wants to understand this.

I would really say there are TWO fund-raising, but not ONE and two fund-raising in three months is weird.

To be exact, we believe you have misinterpreted our message. Not sure if your first language is Chinese or English that caused such an issue in perceiving the information. We have stated clearly in both the text and the demo video, NSS earphones will be produced if HKD$500,000 is pledged. Moreover, the opening of the studio depends on whether the HKD$1 million goal is reached.

This is ONE fundraising with two objectives, one for the consumer market and one for the production. It is totally fine if you perceive this as "weird", but once again, please stop your false accusations.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #53 of 287
Yeah, that's knowledge, which is the impressive part.  People can't really speak on the NSS project itself specifically since most have not heard it.  

Any chance people in Hong Kong (like me) can demo a prototype?  I'm not a super reviewer so I guess probably not.  

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #54 of 287
  Yeah, that's knowledge, which is the impressive part.  People can't really speak on the NSS project itself specifically since most have not heard it.  

Any chance people in Hong Kong (like me) can demo a prototype?  I'm not a super reviewer so I guess probably not.  

It isn't that true for most crowdfunded project? Why the complaint?

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #55 of 287

Dear all,

All of you are more than welcomed to come to our FS-Digital Retail Store and try our prototype out.
However, the prototype requires finetune which does not wholly resemble the final sound quality of the final product.

Here is our address and contact:

Flat 1001, 10/F, Good Hope Bldg, No.5 Sai Yeung Choi Street S, Mong Kok, Kowloon.HongKong

Business Hours:
Monday-Saturday 1:00 - 9:00PM
Sunday 1:00 - 8:00PM

Tel:frowning2:852) 2332 6902

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #56 of 287

It isn't that true for most crowdfunded project? Why the complaint?

It was just in response to him being humble and saying that he didn't really say anything about the project itself.  I stated that mainly to support his line of thought.  I'm not sure why you thought I was complaining, was just stating a fact.  

With Lear's response about to invite people to try their prototype, that's being amazingly open with crowdfunding projects, where often times they don't even have functioning prototypes until the end of the campaign.  But I honestly think that's how crowdfunding should be, and kudos to Lear for that.  Not a closed black box operation in fear that people will poach or criticize their actual product like many other KS or IGG projects.  

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #57 of 287
Apology, I must have read too much into it and mistook it for a sarcastic tone.

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #58 of 287
Originally Posted by getclikinagas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

While soundstage width is easy to simulate, good depth has always been a limitation in IEMs. None of the synthetic crossfeed settings I've tried have been convincing.
Which led me to think that natural depth would not be possible unless the recording was done a la binaural OR with complex pseudo-binaural processing. (Check ljokerl 's CES article on 3D audio)

I think Lear are on to something here. 3D stage from any conventionally recorded music on any player is an interesting prospect at 160$. 

Good job LEAR. You have peaked my curiosity.
smile.gif

We are now aware of what NSS can do. We would like to know more about the sound signature of the IEM. It would be ideal if you could send a pair to ljokerl / ClieOS as we have a large number of review reference points.

Maybe this is just an issue of semantics, but how do you distinguish synthetic crossfeed from NSS? 

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #59 of 287
In the blowup, I see 4 leads from the cable to the iem. Maybe they're putting both left and right channel speakers into each housing, then delaying the opposite channel using the curved path?

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #60 of 287
  In the blowup, I see 4 leads from the cable to the iem. Maybe they're putting both left and right channel speakers into each housing, then delaying the opposite channel using the curved path?

Yep, I think it's pretty safe to deduct this from the blowup. One speaker is labelled "main unit" and feeds almost directly into the nozzle, while the other is labelled "NSS unit" and feeds into the long and curved acoustic path.

It's also pretty obvious why these earphones sound louder when NSS is on, as both speakers together produce more acoustic energy than the main speaker alone.

The least obvious part is why these earphones sound not only quieter, but also less bassy when NSS is off. I'd think that the passive NSS path absorbs part of the main speaker's (bass) energy in that case, but of course that's only speculation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back