(12/03 Updated) Introducing the world's first LEAR patented -NS(NatroSound) earphone technology!
Feb 9, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #32 of 287
  What benefit is there for me, as a consumer, to invest in your campaign as opposed to waiting until the headphone is released and many reviews are out? 
Is there any financial incentive, such as cheaper price for preorders? 

By supporting us through this mass-order(before 31st of March 2015), you will receive the LEAR NSS-U1 with that discounted USD$160 price.
After the mass-order, the price will return to the original price at USD$256.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #33 of 287
You may draw the conclusion that you should make the nss effect louder, but that just tells me people like louder music playback. If assuming the demo 2 has both parts at the same loud ess (actual or perceived) the in fact nss is not preferable at the same volume. If you adjusted the loudness for the nss too much so that the loudness is less than the normal playback, then still that proves that people like music that is played back louder. This phenomenon is common amongst listeners for audio products and you are only addressing it partially.

Since we use another driver to simulate the sound of the opposite channel, which the sound of the two drivers will interfere and get in phase.
Hence, the "original" NSS sound is naturally louder.

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #34 of 287
... As for your last point, that's a bit like the proverbial glass of water one can see as half empty or half full. NSS being built into the IEM itself means that you don't have to rely on one particular source. But is also means that (unlike DSP) you can't use NSS with your other IEMs. Hence it's an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on how one chooses to see the glass.

You have to see NSS as part of the product itself, not a standalone technology. Will you stop buying another custom IEM because it doesn't offer FreqPhase as the JH16 you currently own? Or perhaps because they don't have a wooden dome driver as you beloved JVC FX850? Or any other kind of unique tech in one particular IEM? People usually buy things for what feature the product offer, not that other way around. You never see a JH16 buyer starts saying that the only thing (s)he dislike is that (s)he can't employ FreqPhase elsewhere, do you? I think the usual way of thinking is 'I wish this xxx tech is on my other stuff'.

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #35 of 287
Well it's clear, we gotta hear this to truly understand this.  And to the james444 post, DSP is not even part of an earphone or IEM. How is that even a apples to apples comparison?  You could still DSP your NSS featured IEM.  It's not a disadvantage, unless it is detrimental to performance.  You can even turn it off if I'm not mistaken.  

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #36 of 287
Well it's clear, we gotta hear this to truly understand this.  And to the james444 post, DSP is not even part of an earphone or IEM. How is that even a apples to apples comparison?  You could still DSP your NSS featured IEM.  It's not a disadvantage, unless it is detrimental to performance.  You can even turn it off if I'm not mistaken.  

Until we are able to purchase a pair and see how replicable the effects of NSS are on the software level, none of us have any basis to make confident assertions on how similar or different both methods are compared to each other (not saying you are), the obvious exception being the manufacturer whose main goal is to sell as much of their product as possible. I'm open to the possibility of being wrong about my initial presumption, but I'm going to continue to remain skeptical for now.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #37 of 287

You have to see NSS as part of the product itself, not a standalone technology. Will you stop buying another custom IEM because it doesn't offer FreqPhase as the JH16 you currently own? Or perhaps because they don't have a wooden dome driver as you beloved JVC FX850? Or any other kind of unique tech in one particular IEM? People usually buy things for what feature the product offer, not that other way around. You never see a JH16 buyer starts saying that the only thing (s)he dislike is that (s)he can't employ FreqPhase elsewhere, do you? I think the usual way of thinking is 'I wish this xxx tech is on my other stuff'.

Just for clarification, let's look again at what NSS tries to achieve:

LEAR's NSS technology makes earphones simulate the loudspeakers' natural hearing experience.

My point is that there are several ways to do that, and one of them is DSP. And I believe it's legitimate to compare advantages and disadvantages of different approaches to the same problem.

Try to read my post in that context and you'll hopefully see what I mean:

NSS being built into the IEM itself means that you don't have to rely on one particular source. But is also means that (unlike DSP) you can't use NSS with your other IEMs. Hence it's an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on how one chooses to see the glass.

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #38 of 287
I guess there are two ways to slice it: (1) whether NSS is as good, or better than DSP as a stereo imaging solution (I assume this is what you are referring, James?), and (2) why will one prefer one way over the other. I think we can agree that one answer doesn't necessary dictate the other, as the first question addresses the technical side of the story, but the second question addresses the practical side of the story.

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #39 of 287
Some factors of concern:

1. There is no doubt that DSP based simulation is powerful and precise. However, it should be noted that earphones or headphones are the only way to reproduce sound regardless of how powerful or precise the DSP is.

2. As if the EQ built into a player, it changes the balance of the earphones/headphones by the user's demand, but it's complicated for most users to change the settings for every piece.

3. The NSS-U1 has a detachable cable design, which users will be able to operate the earphones with specific players of software in the future. Hence, a DSP Acoustical base product.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #40 of 287
Quote:
  I guess there are two ways to slice it: (1) whether NSS is as good, or better than DSP as a stereo imaging solution (I assume this is what you are referring, James?), and (2) why will one prefer one way over the other. I think we can agree that one answer doesn't necessary dictate the other, as the first question addresses the technical side of the story, but the second question addresses the practical side of the story.

I believe I've touched both the technical and practical aspects, but no problem agreeing with your summary.

FWIW, I just noticed that dbdchc edited his initial reply and his thoughts pretty much mirror my own skepticism:

Edit: finally watched the video because YouTube is blocked at work. It's probably not the most ideal way to experience their NSS but what I could notice was a crossfeed effect happening that I imagine is attempting to compensate for the inherent advantage that speakers have over headphones, which is the ability to position with greater freedom to account for physical crossfeed. Since this is all being done at some fixed level (correct me if I'm wrong) for headphone purposes, for what it's worth I think the results could be achieved on the software level and with greater granularity. They might be good sounding headphones in their own right, but I have a difficult time finding the NSS to have any real value add. I also noticed an additional amount of bass boost that wasn't particular to my tastes, but that's just my subjective preferences. I guess the premium is in the convenience and novelty? Maybe others can clarify if I'm being shortsighted.

That said, I still think there's a possibility that NSS will (subjectively) sound more "natural" than software solutions, and that's my main interest in the project.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #41 of 287
Some factors of concern:

1. There is no doubt that DSP based simulation is powerful and precise. However, it should be noted that earphones or headphones are the only way to reproduce sound regardless of how powerful or precise the DSP is.

2. As if the EQ built into a player, it changes the balance of the earphones/headphones by the user's demand, but it's complicated for most users to change the settings for every piece.

3. The NSS-U1 has a detachable cable design, which users will be able to operate the earphones with specific players of software in the future. Hence, a DSP Acoustical base product.

Hi, do you also ship to slovakia?

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #42 of 287
I heard that they did a fund raising for their "projects" back in Hong Kong just couple months ago and now they're doing it in the states. I wonder if they're spending those funds wisely... Just my 2 cents

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #44 of 287
  Dunno what u heared but NSS started less month ago, without fund , just subscription.

Go check their Facebook page "Forever Source Digital". Back in December, they said they were running out of money and they asked people to "support" them or they might face closure. Though they didn't tell people to give them money but they did say it would help if people could visit their store and buy products. I wonder if Lear and FSD are two separate companies? If not I don't really understand why they are doing 2 fund raising in just three months...

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #45 of 287
  Go check their Facebook page "Forever Source Digital". Back in December, they said they were running out of money and they asked people to "support" them or they might face closure. Though they didn't tell people to give them money but they did say it would help if people could visit their store and buy products. I wonder if Lear and FSD are two separate companies? If not I don't really understand why they are doing 2 fund raising in just three months...

I think Tatco will clarify the situation. As i know Lear preparing a big project, not only NSS, and NSS wasnt fund in HK till this moment.
Nope, mb FSD is the other company legally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back