~$100 Headphones for Metal, Dubstep, and Gaming?
Aug 9, 2011 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DSG3002

New Head-Fier
I've been asking in several different places for the right headphones to get but have yet to decide on one to actually spend my money on. Primary use will be for all kinds of metal music, including (but not limited to) Thrash Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Metalcore, Deathcore, etc. Basically all metal, which means they need to work well with all kinds of levels of treble/mids/bass. (This sounds a LOT different than this.) I also listen to dubstep, mainly the heavier stuff, so while I want the headphones to have room for a lot of levels of bass (sub/mid/low bass), it's pretty much more important that they play the metal well without draining out the highs from a shredding solo. And last on the list is gaming; I know it's hard to find headphones that are good for both music and gaming, so this isn't really as important or worth sacrificing quality in other areas for, but it would be nice if they were decent for playing PC games as well.

Important things to point out are that I don't have a sound card or headphone amp, I'd prefer low leakage, and I don't necessarily want to dish out more than $100-ish on the headphones unless there happens to be something at like $120 that is exactly what I'm looking for, then I might go for it. Also, the headphones I've been considering so far are the Sennheiser HD280, HD555, Sony MDR-V6, MDR-XB700, and MDR-XB500. I've heard mixed things about all of them, and while I'm leaning towards the MDR-XB700 I get the feeling from reading reviews that they're too bass-heavy for what I'm looking for and that guitar solos or higher-ranged singing/screaming won't sound good.

I realize that there have probably been threads like this before, but I tried searching for threads that had metal as a priority before dubstep in the same price-range and didn't find anything that matched my situation.

Help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
smile.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 8
Dude I literally asked the exact same question no more than 4 hours ago. Check out my post history for the thread its hard to find it in tapatalk

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

EDIT: Back on my PC, here is the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/566298/headphone-for-gaming-dubstep-around-100
I ended up with the DT770 Pro 80 as suggested above

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Dude I literally asked the exact same question no more than 4 hours ago. Check out my post history for the thread its hard to find it in tapatalk

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

I saw your thread but you said you listened to more dubstep than things like rock or metal, and gaming isn't really as important to me as much as getting a good heavy sound for primarily metal and occasionally dubstep. I did see and read through the thread, and it seemed like you were more geared towards gaming and dubstep.

Quote:
Heya,

There is a headphone that will do what you're asking. You want a headphone for metal and dub.

It's the Ultrasone HFI 580. Otherwise, it's the BeyerDynamic DT770 (used to get it in price range).

Very best,

The DT770, even for used, is pretty steep (lowest I could find was like $140, then there's shipping). The HFI 580 is also pretty high up there with price, but I'd go for it if there really wasn't anything else that remains in the low-$100 or actually below $100. I don't necessarily need the best of the best, but I am looking for high quality.

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I saw your thread but you said you listened to more dubstep than things like rock or metal, and gaming isn't really as important to me as much as getting a good heavy sound for primarily metal and occasionally dubstep. I did see and read through the thread, and it seemed like you were more geared towards gaming and dubstep.

The DT770, even for used, is pretty steep (lowest I could find was like $140, then there's shipping). The HFI 580 is also pretty high up there with price, but I'd go for it if there really wasn't anything else that remains in the low-$100 or actually below $100. I don't necessarily need the best of the best, but I am looking for high quality.

Heya,

Understood. Throwing it out there simply because if you're willing to throw $100 into something, you might as well be willing to throw $130 into it and get what you're looking for instead of just something you could afford based on a strict budget. I would suggest you look for the headphone that will do what you want, save up for it, and get it. Otherwise, you're compromising and not likely to get what you're looking for, and then you will feel like you threw $100 out the window.

That said, also check out the Shure 840 and Audio Technica M50.

As a backup headphone, should you require it be under $100, look at the Sony ZX700.

Very best,

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Heya,

Understood. Throwing it out there simply because if you're willing to throw $100 into something, you might as well be willing to throw $130 into it and get what you're looking for instead of just something you could afford based on a strict budget. I would suggest you look for the headphone that will do what you want, save up for it, and get it. Otherwise, you're compromising and not likely to get what you're looking for, and then you will feel like you threw $100 out the window.

That said, also check out the Shure 840 and Audio Technica M50.

As a backup headphone, should you require it be under $100, look at the Sony ZX700.

Very best,

Hmm.... You're right about really investing in something instead of cheaping out on it. I've been trying to spend conservative lately since I'm saving up for other things, and every dollar kinda counts. On the other hand, headphones are a priority on that list since I'll be having roommates soon and need a solution for listening to my music without bothering others too much, while still enjoying great sound.

Now you've mentioned 4 different headphones and they all seem pretty relatively close in price (aside from the DT770 for which the lowest price I could find was $150 off eBay).... Of the ones you listed which would you say suits my situation the best? Also, which ones would you say are the most comfortable? Your signature suggests that you have an idea how each one sounds and feels...
biggrin.gif
Just be reading the reviews for each one they all seem like spectacular headphones, but deciding on one is difficult without actually testing each one out.

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Hmm.... You're right about really investing in something instead of cheaping out on it. I've been trying to spend conservative lately since I'm saving up for other things, and every dollar kinda counts. On the other hand, headphones are a priority on that list since I'll be having roommates soon and need a solution for listening to my music without bothering others too much, while still enjoying great sound.

Now you've mentioned 4 different headphones and they all seem pretty relatively close in price (aside from the DT770 for which the lowest price I could find was $150 off eBay).... Of the ones you listed which would you say suits my situation the best? Also, which ones would you say are the most comfortable? Your signature suggests that you have an idea how each one sounds and feels...
biggrin.gif
Just be reading the reviews for each one they all seem like spectacular headphones, but deciding on one is difficult without actually testing each one out.

Heya,

DT770 - Most comfortable (velour pads), bassy, good isolation, good sound stage, forward highs.
HFI 580 - Pleather pads, good isolation, very bassy, bright forward highs, decent sound stage.

I'd go with one of those. I think the DT770 would likely be the best bet covering you for games, and music like metal & dub.

Or, get the HFI 580, and replace the ear pads with some velour pads for comfort and they're easily the headphone I would suggest.

Very best,

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Heya,

DT770 - Most comfortable (velour pads), bassy, good isolation, good sound stage, forward highs.
HFI 580 - Pleather pads, good isolation, very bassy, bright forward highs, decent sound stage.

I'd go with one of those. I think the DT770 would likely be the best bet covering you for games, and music like metal & dub.

Or, get the HFI 580, and replace the ear pads with some velour pads for comfort and they're easily the headphone I would suggest.

Very best,

I'm gonna do some more research on each one, I see there are lots of reviews here comparing the two in addition to other headphones that will gives specific pros and cons of each one. Thank you for the tip on these headphones and for suggesting that I consider this to be an investment rather than opting to go for something that may be less than I'm expecting. :) You're very helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back