☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
May 4, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #1,276 of 5,932
You should feel lucky that you caught that!  How was it?  
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #1,277 of 5,932
  You should feel lucky that you caught that!  How was it?  
biggrin.gif

pretty darn good. I wish I had more time with the Paradox in balanced. I'm not completely sure but i think the midrange sounded slightly more forward then what I'm used to. Sometimes when the midrange sounds cleaner I mistake it for sounding forward. 

May 4, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #1,278 of 5,932
During my search for a nice, right sized DAC to use with the liquid carbon, I have run across the Emotiva DC-1.  I point it out, as it's specs state "Pro level output at the balanced output".  This pro level output is +6 dbV.  Is this excessive for the liquid carbon?  In other words, is the gain going to end up being way too high with this level?  I want to avoid running too high of a signal into the amp, and not having enough volume travel to adequately adjust volume on sensitive headphones, or conversely, too low of a signal, and having to crank the volume to near max to get to listenable levels.  Comments appreciated!

May 4, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #1,281 of 5,932
  During my search for a nice, right sized DAC to use with the liquid carbon, I have run across the Emotiva DC-1.  I point it out, as it's specs state "Pro level output at the balanced output".  This pro level output is +6 dbV.  Is this excessive for the liquid carbon?  In other words, is the gain going to end up being way too high with this level?  I want to avoid running too high of a signal into the amp, and not having enough volume travel to adequately adjust volume on sensitive headphones, or conversely, too low of a signal, and having to crank the volume to near max to get to listenable levels.  Comments appreciated!

If the output level is +6 fixed, then I'd say it's too much. 

I found the following calculator:  http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

Doing my best trained monkey imitation (no offense to any trained monkeys in the audience) I see that +6 dbV is essentially 2 vrms.  This is kinda sorta the input voltage standard, isn't it?

Dr. Cavalli - care to weigh in on what would be "reasonable" input levels for the balanced and single ended inputs?

May 4, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #1,282 of 5,932
Occasionally I'd like to have use of my momentum 2 at the desktop for isolation when the house is noisy-busy. Is there any reason why the Carbon would not pair well with this headphone?

May 4, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #1,283 of 5,932

I found the following calculator:  http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

Doing my best trained monkey imitation (no offense to any trained monkeys in the audience) I see that +6 dbV is essentially 2 vrms.  This is kinda sorta the input voltage standard, isn't it?

Dr. Cavalli - care to weigh in on what would be "reasonable" input levels for the balanced and single ended inputs?

Studio level line out references +4 dbU, so I think that is 1.2 v. +6 dbV would be quite a bit higher than that, so I suspect that it is a bit higher than what would be expected.

May 4, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,284 of 5,932

Emotiva now has a rep on board here. Let's see if this works.....

@KeithEmo ?

May 4, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #1,285 of 5,932
Does anyone have an opinion on whether the Liquid Carbon would be a good match for the TH900 (running single-ended)?

May 4, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #1,286 of 5,932

How about us monkeys who are still in training? We're not just a bunch second bananas bud.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #1,287 of 5,932
To those who have heard the carbon, do you guys think it'd be something that can contend with the Schiit Mjolnir?

May 5, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,288 of 5,932
Having never heard the Schiit Mjolnir, I would think they are very different amps. For one the Mjolnir has more power and probably has a completely different Topolgy. I would think the Cavalli would sound similar or better IMO. Hopefully someone who knows will reply.

May 5, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #1,289 of 5,932
screw it, just bought one :)

May 5, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #1,290 of 5,932

Users who are viewing this thread

Back