☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Apr 28, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #1,171 of 5,932
Apr 28, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,172 of 5,932
Hmm... Liquid Crack?

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #1,173 of 5,932
I know there's a lot of talk about transportable balanced DAC's for the LC, but if you're not concerned about any of that and just want a really good DAC for the money ... you should definitely have an eye on the Audio-GD DAC-19.  It's SE and it's too big to lug anywhere, but it's R2R (some of the last new TI R2R chips in the wild!) and it sounds really good.  I intend to post more impressions of the DAC-19 as I let my ears settle in, but so far so good.

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,174 of 5,932
  I know there's a lot of talk about transportable balanced DAC's for the LC, but if you're not concerned about any of that and just want a really good DAC for the money ... you should definitely have an eye on the Audio-GD DAC-19.  It's SE and it's too big to lug anywhere, but it's R2R (some of the last new TI R2R chips in the wild!) and it sounds really good.  I intend to post more impressions of the DAC-19 as I let my ears settle in, but so far so good.

It's more important to be a good DAC, then a balanced DAC....

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #1,175 of 5,932
Apr 28, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #1,176 of 5,932
but how about a good, balanced dac.?
rolleyes.gif

The balanced version of the DAC-19 is the Reference-10.32.  I costs literally double the price and I highly suspect that it doesn't give double the SQ.  And at that point you're very close to Yggy dollars...

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #1,177 of 5,932
I did a comparison of the Gungnir SE vs. balanced output into the Ragnarok with my LCD-X's. The comparison was easy because the Gungnir simultaneously outputs both signals and the Rag has switchable multiple inputs. It sounds like there's a small difference, but depending on the recording, it can be tough to discern any difference. While I'm pretty certain there's small difference, I'm not sure I could reliably pick it out in a blind test. Any time I find myself straining to detect a difference, it's not something I'm going to worry about.

It would be great to find a well-designed compact DAC to complement the LC. My goal is having an easily transportable setup to use in different parts of my house.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #1,179 of 5,932
The balanced version of the DAC-19 is the Reference-10.32.  I costs literally double the price and I highly suspect that it doesn't give double the SQ.  And at that point you're very close to Yggy dollars...

You can look in the other thread about dacs for the carbon.
I have bought one that I think is comparable to the quality of the LC.

Not even close to yggy dollars.

The yggy is just TOO big. I need a smaller footprint.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #1,180 of 5,932
  I did a comparison of the Gungnir SE vs. balanced output into the Ragnarok with my LCD-X's. The comparison was easy because the Gungnir simultaneously outputs both signals and the Rag has switchable multiple inputs. It sounds like there's a small difference, but depending on the recording, it can be tough to discern any difference. While I'm pretty certain there's small difference, I'm not sure I could reliably pick it out in a blind test. Any time I find myself straining to detect a difference, it's not something I'm going to worry about.

It would be great to find a well-designed compact DAC to complement the LC. My goal is having an easily transportable setup to use in different parts of my house.

Have you looked at the Chord 2Cute? Looks transportable, and the reviews have been fantastic so far, though depending on your budget it may be a bit expensive.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #1,181 of 5,932
Have you looked at the Chord 2Cute? Looks transportable, and the reviews have been fantastic so far, though depending on your budget it may be a bit expensive.

I really don't understand the love of chord on head fi.
Two words: Over Priced

For Christs sake, you can get a Lampizator Amber for close to the same price as a Hugo. What's wrong here?

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #1,182 of 5,932

For Christs sake, you can get a Lampizator Amber for close to the same price as a Hugo. What's wrong here?

It's a tiny market. The Chord stuff is targeted to headphone people, many of whom don't understand the larger audio market. That and hype. Lot's of hype on that.

Have you checked out the Emotiva DC-1? It seems like a great match for the Carbon both price and size wise. I wouldn't be surprised if a handful of carbon owners end up with that stack.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #1,183 of 5,932

I auditioned the Chord Hugo with my LCD-X's and the synergy was bad--glare and grain in the upper-mids. Granted, it was probably the amp circuit that was the issue, but I'm still skeptical of Chord's prices. The ifi Micro iDSD looks interesting--just need to audition it. The Emotiva DC-1 is indeed excellent, but I'd like to go smaller.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #1,184 of 5,932

Have you listened to the Chord stuff?  While I agree that it's crazy overpriced, it sounds GOOD.  That's what the love is for.  

I'm a value guy so I look at price and performance always (hello, Liquid Carbon!).  Some look for just price and some look for just performance.  Chord's stuff is targeted squarely at the "just performance" folks.

EDIT - To be clear, the Hugo's amp is just okay.  The DAC is what you're paying for IMO.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #1,185 of 5,932
I know I'm repeating myself, but the Pono does balanced line out. John Atkinson felt it was close to dacs multiple times it's price on his main system...just sayin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back