☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Apr 28, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #1,186 of 5,932

It's a tiny market. The Chord stuff is targeted to headphone people, many of whom don't understand the larger audio market. That and hype. Lot's of hype on that.

Have you checked out the Emotiva DC-1? It seems like a great match for the Carbon both price and size wise. I wouldn't be surprised if a handful of carbon owners end up with that stack.

Currently aiming at the Emotiva DC-1 for the LC, I read somewhere earlier in the thread that someone has already bought one during an audio show in anticipation for his LC. I'll probably wait for their summer sale though

Reason why I chose the DC-1: Pretty cheap for its features, balanced output, neutral sound signature (most important reason!), and small footprint. 

I hope to upgrade to a R2R DAC in the future (the Audio GD DAC19 seems like the best deal currently for a well designed R2R DAC) but I'm in no hurry to do so.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #1,187 of 5,932
I know I'm repeating myself, but the Pono does balanced line out. John Atkinson felt it was close to dacs multiple times it's price on his main system...just sayin

Does the Pono work as a USB DAC?  If not, I don't know that I'd consider it for myself.  I used one at CES (Audeze was using it to demo their stuff) and, while it did sound quite good, the UI made me want to chuck it against the wall.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #1,188 of 5,932

Does the Pono work as a USB DAC?  If not, I don't know that I'd consider it for myself.  I used one at CES (Audeze was using it to demo their stuff) and, while it did sound quite good, the UI made me want to chuck it against the wall.

correct me if I am wrong, but to my knowledge, the pono player can NOT function as a standalone dac.

source: http://www.head-fi.org/t/629454/pono-neil-youngs-portable-hi-res-music-player/1755#post_11151827

edit: keep in mind when purchasing the pono, you are paying for the dac+amp+dap tied down to their PonoMusic App desktop software and possibly buying into their PonoMusic Online store. So your money can go further elsewhere if you are not interested in those aspects. I am also personally pretty skeptical of the long-term viability of the DAP market nowadays. Much simpler and more prudent to just use your smartphone + portable dac/amp (impo) esp if your smartphone has external sd card support.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #1,189 of 5,932
Have you listened to the Chord stuff?  While I agree that it's crazy overpriced, it sounds GOOD.  That's what the love is for.  

I'm a value guy so I look at price and performance always (hello, Liquid Carbon!).  Some look for just price and some look for just performance.  Chord's stuff is targeted squarely at the "just performance" folks.

EDIT - To be clear, the Hugo's amp is just okay.  The DAC is what you're paying for IMO.
[/quote

Hello, A lampi amber for the same price as a Hugo? Give me afb.
Lampi must be 10xbetter dac for the same price
Crazy!
And yes I have heard thd Hugo. Underwhelmed is the word.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #1,190 of 5,932
I have no big problems with the UI...most daps I've used are annoying at one time or another, find the Pono better than others I've used (DX90, X3, even iPod). Don't think it functions as a usb dac, but I can check...I've been strictly using it as a dap. Which means, you have to either put music on it out on a memory card...sort of the primitive way some still put discs in players or turntables to play music...:wink:

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #1,191 of 5,932
As for the Pono ecosystem, many avoid it for the most part...Ponoplayer software is essentially a modded JRIVER, and you do need it for firmware updates (it's free), but you can drag/drop music to your heart's content and never touch the Pono software or buy anything from their store (they do have a good amount of high resolution music if you're interested, but there are other places to buy it as well, and HDTracks or other site download (or ripped music) works fine. I love mine, ymmv.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #1,192 of 5,932
Currently aiming at the Emotiva DC-1 for the LC, I read somewhere earlier in the thread that someone has already bought one during an audio show in anticipation for his LC. I'll probably wait for their summer sale though

Reason why I chose the DC-1: Pretty cheap for its features, balanced output, neutral sound signature (most important reason!), and small footprint. 

I hope to upgrade to a R2R DAC in the future (the Audio GD DAC19 seems like the best deal currently for a well designed R2R DAC) but I'm in no hurry to do so.

peaked my interest, but Im looking more for an end unit at my age(61).probably don't have that many years left, so I will enjoy them with my Hegel HD12:p

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #1,193 of 5,932

peaked my interest, but Im looking more for an end unit at my age(61).probably don't have that many years left, so I will enjoy them with my Hegel HD12:p

Your end years, huh? Turning 62 this May, that was the most depressing thing I've read in these parts in a long time...:frowning2:

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #1,194 of 5,932
Your end years, huh? Turning 62 this May, that was the most depressing thing I've read in these parts in a long time...:frowning2:
And in 5 years I will be 66 and still looking!Sorry budddy!

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #1,195 of 5,932
Apr 29, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #1,196 of 5,932

My father died of cancer at 69 :pensive:
Enjoy life and your music to its fullest my friend. You never know how long before you're called from this world.

Sorry for being depressing
Bless

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #1,198 of 5,932
Thanks for sharing - depressing thought of the day

Sorry fellow bopper. It happened just recently and it's been hard for me not having him around. My apologies.

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #1,200 of 5,932

My father died of cancer at 69 :pensive:
Enjoy life and your music to its fullest my friend. You never know how long before you're called from this world.
:)
Sorry for being depressing
Bless

Sorry, actually do have a similar family history to you...you convinced me, I ordered a $100,000 Linn Hifi stereo system and Abyss headphones for it ( :)...I can dream, can't I).
I'll give the final word (maybe not final...) to this song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back